Deltha a Bengal - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Deltha a Bengal

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:48 am

UtopianHopes wrote:I dunno why people think bengals stole this deal. Last time i checked Oneal was trying out wr for the broncos. I don't blame the broncos for trading him (considering he useless at that point). Broncos moved up 7 spots in which open up alot of options for them. Seem pretty fair, considering Oneal might just need a new enviroment.

Moving up 7 spots is good if you are going after someone. But for the bengals, their needs dictated taking someone like Chris Gamble, who could be good, but is a huge risk, needs some experience, and he still may be there at the #24 pick. In my opinion, the bengals were almost forced into taking a player early b/c of their draft position and needs.

They now got a huge CB upgrade. Yes i realize that O'Neal has had problems as of late and was tried at WR, but he also has the potential to be great as he proved by making the pro bowl. A change of teams can really do him some good. And on top of all of this, the bengals get another 4th rd pick.

So yes its good for the broncos b/c they can move up and get a better player and they also get rid of O'Neal who has been more of a liability to them as of late. But the Bengals improve their team immediately b/c their CBs are totally crap right now, and will still be able to get the same calibur player 7 spots down AND an extra pick.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:48 am

awwchrist wrote:Never thought I'd say this...

but it's a good time to be a Bengals fan.

This should help Cincy's lackluster pass defense tremendously.

While this may improve the defense, the offense may still blow chunks. Rookie quarterback at the helm, Corey Dillon still around, and if strength of schedule analyses hold true, the absolute toughest schedule in the league next year versus opposing defenses.
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby CC » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:53 am

They have a good offence. A strong o-line, 3 good young WRs, 2 good RBs, and 2 good QBs. They should also have a lot of draft picks, Kitna will prolly be good for a second, Dillon for a 3rd, they just got an extra 4th, and I believe they were awarded another 3rd round compensatory pick.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:54 am

In this particular draft I absolutely love the move on behalf of the Bengals. There seems to be pretty similar rankings between picks 15-30 in this years draft. After Gambles less than spectacular workout, I would rather move down and have more flexibility later in the draft from 17 to 24. Also, this draft is very deep in the 2nd and middle rounds. They now have two third rounders and two 4th rounders to stockpile more depth and talent. Deltha has looked spectacular at times but has struggled recently. There's no question about his athletic ability and will definitely be a big help in special teams. Hopefully Lewis and Frasier can get him back to ProBowl form and give us some help in the secondary.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby DUKE » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:57 am

Flux wrote:Moving up 7 spots is good if you are going after someone. But for the bengals, their needs dictated taking someone like Chris Gamble, who could be good, but is a huge risk, needs some experience, and he still may be there at the #24 pick. In my opinion, the bengals were almost forced into taking a player early b/c of their draft position and needs.

They now got a huge CB upgrade. Yes i realize that O'Neal has had problems as of late and was tried at WR, but he also has the potential to be great as he proved by making the pro bowl. A change of teams can really do him some good. And on top of all of this, the bengals get another 4th rd pick.

So yes its good for the broncos b/c they can move up and get a better player and they also get rid of O'Neal who has been more of a liability to them as of late. But the Bengals improve their team immediately b/c their CBs are totally crap right now, and will still be able to get the same calibur player 7 spots down AND an extra pick.

Nice post Flux ;-D

And C.Cheeshead: Yes, they do have a compensatory 3rd round pick from losing Spikes last year.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:36 pm

I'd say the Bengals made out on this one. The Bailey reshuffle in Denver is on, so hopefully the Broncos know what they're doing with that seven spot advantage.

Deltha is a serviceable corner. He has some serious speed to burn, and hopefully the Marvin Lewis overseed defense will make him a better player. He might even be a usable punt returner for them if they need it...is Houshmanzadeh the guy right now or is he kicks? I'm sure Duke can verify for me.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:25 pm

I believe it is Warrick, but they could use Deltha so as he doesn't get injured.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:43 pm

If you use the NFL points value chart to see who got the better of the deal it would appear to be fairly even.

Cincinnati's #17 pick is worth 975pts.

Denver's #24 pick is worth 800pts. + the 4th rounder is worth 56pts which equals 856pts.

The difference of 119pts. is essentially the equivalent to a late third round pick, which is what Denver was looking to get for O'Neal anyways.

Now with Cincinnati reportedly dropping their trade value on Dillon from a 3rd rounder to a 7th, I'm surprised Denver didn't include him in the deal.......unless, they truly don't want him.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:57 am

the newst cowboy in the next couple of days is dillion for a 2nd or 3 rounder. heck we might as well through LA in there also.

Friendliness: %

Postby Lushcrush » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:42 pm

Not a bad move on both sides. O'Neal is a player and should help in the punt return/special teams area. Very athletic dude ...
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk