Faulk the God - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Faulk the God

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Gunslinger » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:14 pm

I think one thing to consider is that there are a lot more stud RBs now. A few years ago if you didn't have Faulk or James it was all over. Now Holmes, LT2, Portis, Green, Lewis, etc... are all capable of putting up numbers similar to what Faulk did in his glory years.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

agreed

Postby hwkyetkd11 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:50 pm

I agree he has his equals now. But why is he now regarded as bottom of the barrell by a lot of people. Like not even top ten by some. Plus he ha sdone it many mroe times than any of the goods listed. If he stays healthy look for him to rival Holmes and Tomlinson for the #1 spot
hwkyetkd11
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby MCG321 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:12 pm

Basically, most RBs that are ahead of him are just safer. Faulk may outperform them, but most would prefer similar, perhaps slightly less, production but without the history of injuries. Also, his age isn't helping his case.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:18 pm

Good points. First off I dont like that list of top 10. About Faulk, he is a great RB and still has the stud ability...but as was said before his age and record of missing games and injuries makes most steer clear. I would rather have a secure RB who I can count on to give me numbers, than an aging RB who is iffy. The kid in my league who had him was scary on weeks where faulk played healthy, but for the most part faulk had to sit on his bench and rot...forcing the kid to place in 6/8
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:53 am

Well, it's the injuries, but also I don't think Faulk has been the same since Vermeil left. Martz is an idiot.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Re: Faulk the God

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:52 pm

hwkyetkd11 wrote:I am very surprised by how quickly a player can go from Godlike standing to middl eof th epack due to one bad season due to injuries. For the past five years or so Faulk ha sbeen like a god, no question of whow as first to go! Then he has aproblem with his knee and is hampoered by it for half of two seasons. Then he came back healthy last yeara nd tor eit up old Faulk style showing he is still the man! Yet we are still hung up over one injury tht has been remedied and rankin ghim in some cases lower than top ten.l faulk is still a top 5 rb and will do it again this year, quote me on that!

It's not that he's had one bad season due to injuries. It's that he misses at least two games (usually more) every year. Consistency is the key to FFL championships. When you are pretty much guaranteed to get zero points out of your #1 draft pick in 1/8 (or more) games every year, you're walking down the path to fantasy football ruin.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aussieboy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:10 am

[/quote]Priest Holmes
Clinton Portis
LaDainian Tomilinson
Shaun Alexander
Deuce McAllister
Ahman Green
Ricky Williams
Marshall Faulk
Jamal Lewis
Stephen Davis

sorry, but that is a ridiculous order.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Faulk the God

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:25 am

hwkyetkd11 wrote:I am very surprised by how quickly a player can go from Godlike standing to middl eof th epack due to one bad season due to injuries. For the past five years or so Faulk ha sbeen like a god, no question of whow as first to go! Then he has aproblem with his knee and is hampoered by it for half of two seasons. Then he came back healthy last yeara nd tor eit up old Faulk style showing he is still the man! Yet we are still hung up over one injury tht has been remedied and rankin ghim in some cases lower than top ten.l faulk is still a top 5 rb and will do it again this year, quote me on that!

first of all slow down on the typing you are misspelling like every word...

but anyway I would not elevate M Faulk to the "god" status he has hardly impressed me that much. Look at guys like J Lewis (almost broke single season yardage record) and Da Priest (TDs in a year record set). Those are way better than Faulk was 4+ years ago.

Also, I don't think these pampered. spoiled, filfy sticken rich athletes need to be called "gods".... especially when they want to leave a team they won 2 super bowls with!!! (Ty Law)

But if anyone wants to dub someone a god it should be none other than RANDY MOSS!!!! ;-D

Friendliness: %

Postby proKrastinate » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:46 am

Faulk is still worth a bunch in my league because each reception is counted as one point. This is the exact reason LT is a god in my league. You catch 6 passes for 40 yds, score atleast 1 TD, and rush for 50 60 yards, and you have 17 pts in one week for me. Thats awesome. Now take a back who rushes for 150 yds and gets 1 TD : 13 pts though the guy had an outstanding rushing day, he still isn't worth as much. That is why Faulk is worth a lot to me, 2 receptions out of the backfield and getting 20 yards is worth rushing for 60.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby aussieboy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:45 am

ive heard of scoring systems that reward receptions like urs. To be honest with you i dont understand it. Fantasy rules should reflect the real life game, and in real life its the YARDS that count, who cares if its from a reception or a rushing attempt. That example you wrote shows nicely why that scoring system is a disgrace. How can a player total 60 less yards score the same amount of touchdowns but score nearly 25% more fantasy points? Please explain that to me.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk