Phantom Injury Concerns - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Phantom Injury Concerns

Moderator: Football Moderators

Phantom Injury Concerns

Postby mig28 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:25 pm

As I consider the recent news that Michael Vick's ankle is still not 100%, I am reminded of the owners in my league who passed on P. Holmes in '03 due to the buzz about his hip. By week 3 of last season, it was evident that the hyperbole surrounding Priest's injury was, at least in part, a ruse.
My query is three fold; Did Priest fall in your league in '03 ? Is the Vick news a similar ploy ? Can you recall past instances where injury information about a player has affected their FF value, only to realize that the story may have been inflated ?
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:08 am

if i remember correctly, Holmes always insisted he was fine.not the case with vick
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:52 am

Holmes was drafted #5 in my league last year...I assume that's a small drop, but I myself know I didn't pick him early because of his injury. I had him ranked at #5 last year and I got the #3 choice with Portis - worked out pretty well, but the champ of the league had Holmes!

I'm sure Vick will have an early pickup, but I won't know how badly others in my league will value him until it happens. Faulk's injuries made me not want to take him last year because I pretty much wasted the #1 overall pick on him the year before. Once he came back on the field full time though he was pretty solid.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Football Newbie » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:17 am

i picked up holmes with the 8 overall last year. Yeah i know, i rock.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CinemaFreak » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:35 am

Priest slipped in my league a little, but not below #5. I had the choice of Portis and Priest. I went with Portis to avoid the risk. It paid off with a second place finish....but maybe it could have been first...hmmm.

As for Vick, I agree with Pete. Vick is complaining he is not well. I will not be sold on Vick till the pre season when I can see him move around and even then I can see him being a little tentative due to last year!
CinemaFreak Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:39 am

Getting Priest at 8, or even 5, is about as close a preseason garuntee to winning the league as you can get.

Priest slipped to #2 in my money league last year. And yes, given his numbers over the past two seasons, even #2 is a slide for him.

Someone will undoubtedly nab Vick in either the late 1st or early 2nd round, and when they do, I'll smile as a potential stud RB like Henry, S. Davis, or D. Davis gets one pick closer to me...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby maddog60 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:45 am

I really wanted to take the safe pick with LT when I got the #1 overall in my league last year, but Priest was just too good to pass up on even with the hip injury.

I think enough people are high on Vick that he'll go 2nd-3rd round in most drafts, which is about where the top QBs often get taken.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby t-love » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:57 am

There are so many people that are in love with Vick that he won't drop too far, unless his legs fall off.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

Postby CC » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:07 pm

Vick should be good, but with his running style he is always an injury risk.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:40 pm

Vick still has time to rehab his leg and I think he will be fine next year. He should be a good running QB once again.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk