OK, theyre out...which is the king? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

OK, theyre out...which is the king?

Moderator: Football Moderators

OK, theyre out...which is the king?

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:11 am

out of the xbox baseball games...which is best?
I hate slugfest and high heat. the three im thinking of are
ESPN
MVP
All star baseball

I heard MVP was the best gameplay and had a nice franchise mode, but no live
ESPN has a great franchise, pretty good gameplay, and its live
ASB is decent, and its live, but probably not the best here

ive played ASB and its not bad...i got mvp for easter but i like live games...never played espn...which is best in your opinion?
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: OK, theyre out...which is the king?

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:30 am

NittanyLions wrote:out of the xbox baseball games...which is best?
I hate slugfest and high heat. the three im thinking of are
ESPN
MVP
All star baseball

I heard MVP was the best gameplay and had a nice franchise mode, but no live
ESPN has a great franchise, pretty good gameplay, and its live
ASB is decent, and its live, but probably not the best here

ive played ASB and its not bad...i got mvp for easter but i like live games...never played espn...which is best in your opinion?
I had the last All-Star baseball and didn't like it too much. I live for franchise mode and so that is what I did. I will tell you what I didn't like.
1, it was way too easy to trade. This sounds small because you can just avoid it by not trading a while lot but IMO that's the fun, trading and putting together a great team. It is very hard to evaluate yourself if it is a fair trade. Basically all you had to do was pick up a player ranked B- off the FA wire and then trade him for a B, then trade for a B+ and so on. You could do this over and over.
2, the pitching was way too simple. Even when your pitchers are tired you can basically pin-point your pitches. I played the game for months and never once walked a batter. In my franchise I had no bullpen because I would get a complete game every time because my pitch count would be like 60 or 70 after 9 Innings. Sounds nice, but it gets old and you start to kill the other team, which leads me to number 3.
3, hitting was simple. Every game I would beat my opponents like 15-3. Granted, I had a pretty incredible team through the trading but all my players had well over .400 BAs and had quite a few HRs. I actually went 162-0 one season playing near every game. It was ridiculous.

Unless they have drastically changed the gameplay of AS paseball I wouldn't buy it again. I am probably going to get MVP because I have PS2 and can play online with it.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:34 pm

I have ASB 01 for N64 and I noticed how easy it was to trade and jack up stats, etc. The new one is still like the old one-you can pitch complete games and still be accurate. I live for franchise too, and I dont want to make it too easy. I think I better try ESPN. With NCAA bball, I was missippi valley state, and I went 96-2 in 3 seasons with them and won the national championship twice. So I switch to the hardest level...Currently I am with seton hall and i am 15-0 in my 1st season, and I dont remember who but i beat a team 49-0 once :-[ I really dont need a game like that again. Thanks for the response, I think ill steer clear of it
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:03 pm

NittanyLions wrote:With NCAA bball, I was missippi valley state, and I went 96-2 in 3 seasons with them and won the national championship twice. So I switch to the hardest level...

You mean there's a college baseball video game???

News to me but my god that has to be lame.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby sinnlos26 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:12 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:
NittanyLions wrote:With NCAA bball, I was missippi valley state, and I went 96-2 in 3 seasons with them and won the national championship twice. So I switch to the hardest level...

You mean there's a college baseball video game???

News to me but my god that has to be lame.

college baseball??
im with GP, here... that sounds soo boring
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:20 pm

*rolls eyes*

anyway I was playing ASB and I was killing a kid like 7-0and once i got my ego up, he quit, i didnt get a win, he didnt get a loss, only a drop. I take my losses like a man of course and I have no drops. Since this has happened to me a LOT. That makes me mad, does anyone know if the same thing happens with ESPN, I know you get a loss if you drop in ncaa basketball
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Canacuna » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:15 pm

I don't know anything about online stat-keeping, as I haven't played an online videogame since the good 'ol Sega Dreamcast went six feet under.

I've played this years version of MVP Baseball and last years versions of ASB Baseball and ESPN Baseball...

I've been a Sega Sports junkie for a while now (although I still buy Madden...), but I had a free videogame rental coupon and I decided to give EA Sports baseball game a try. MVP Baseball turned out to be pretty cool - nice gameplay, deep franchise mode, etc.

I was horrified when I played ASB Baseball last year. I remember it was decent on the N64, but it turned craptastic fairly quickly. What a horrible game... Yikes. It doesn't even deserve an explanation of its incredible suckiness it managed to suck so bad.

I've always liked the Sega Sports games, especially their World Series Baseball (now ESPN Baseball, or whatever) series (good 'ol Genesis and Saturn days). The gameplay was nice, the graphics were the best, they had some cool features in the franchise mode, and gameplay was pretty easy.

Anyway, last years version of ESPN Baseball was great, but when I compared it to this years version of MVP Baseball, it seemed lacking. I don't know of any new features Sega may have added to the gameplay, but I thought MVP Baseball was the deeper game between the two.

You can't go wrong with either MVP Baseball or ESPN Baseball - just AVOID ALL-STAR BASEBALL.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby HeHateMe » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:13 pm

I don't have xbox but I played ASB and MVP for PS2 and MVP is by far the best baseball game i've played.
HeHateMe
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby MCG321 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:36 pm

I have MVP, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Also, Out of the Park Baseball is an awesome sim game, and version 6 should be out very shortly. Both games are high-quality.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby hayesb26 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:49 pm

MCG321 wrote:Also, Out of the Park Baseball is an awesome sim game, and version 6 should be out very shortly.

I also recommend this game to everyone who likes franchise modes in video games. Nero(yes, he's still alive) got me into this game and now I'm hooked. It is pretty much franchise mode without playing the games. Very in-depth game as well as online leagues everywhere to play in.

I just pre-ordered version 6 myself ;-)
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Video Games