Draft Strategies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Strategies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Strategies

Postby aneil2124 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:28 pm

Which strategy do you think is the most effective? Best Available Player, By position, or For Value.
aneil2124
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:37 pm

Well, for the first 5 rounds I do positions, then the rounds after I do a mix of value and best available, as they are practically the same thing...when i get to late late rounds i of course go by position to make sure i got a K and DEF
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Squaby_ffc » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:56 pm

For the 1st 3 or 4 rounds I go by the best player available. The next couple of rounds I fill in the positions that need to be, not te,k, or def, it jus all depends whos there. Tight Ends you barely get any points unless u get Gonzo n maybe 2 or 3 others. Those rounds are by position n best avaiable a combo. And the last 2 to 4 rounds i get a kicker,te, and a def or another 1.
Squaby_ffc
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Canacuna » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:58 pm

Last year I went with the good 'ol two RB in the first two rounds strategy. That worked well.

I'd like to try a few mocks to see how the best player available strategy works. It worked well in the few baseball and basketball drafts I participated in and I'd like to see how it translates to football.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby MCG321 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:04 pm

I don't have a set strategy, per se. I'll usually end up taking the best player, but it's not always the case. If a top QB is available late 2nd, early 3rd, I'll still probably take a WR or RB, depending on who I took and who is available. I guess it's kind of best player available according to positional values...

Dammit, I have trouble putting my draft strategy into words, but it works on draft day, and that's what counts, right?
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aneil2124 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:06 pm

Well, I also go by best available player in the early rounds, but I play in a rather odd league where we can start 3 RB's because of a WR/RB flex. If I have a chance at getting Ahman Green, Edge James, and Fred Taylor, I should take it right? The rest of my team looks weak because I use my first 3 picks on RB. Should I use this strategy or should I go by position and get Ahman and Edge and then get a top WR in the 3rd?
aneil2124
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Squaby_ffc » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:12 pm

If your in a league where you start 3 rbs, then for thest 1st 3 rounds I would pick a rb. If not atleast the 1st two rounds and if only Moss,Holt,Harrison,Owens then pick another rb as there be alot of wr sleepers this year.
Squaby_ffc
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby MCG321 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:19 pm

In 3 RB leagues, looks can be very deceiving. By using your first 3 picks on RBs (and assuming others didn't and got some WRs or QBs), the rest of your team may look less well-rounded than others, but 3 very strong RBs can win you the league.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:23 pm

In my league, we play up to 4 RBs, so last year, I took 2 RBs, then a WR (Moss). I always take RB first, but after that, I go by best available between RBs and WRs. I tend to lean towards RBs, though. After getting Hass in round 7 last year, I learn to take a QB late. Always shore up RB first, then go after the rest.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:24 pm

MCG321 wrote:In 3 RB leagues, looks can be very deceiving. By using your first 3 picks on RBs (and assuming others didn't and got some WRs or QBs), the rest of your team may look less well-rounded than others, but 3 very strong RBs can win you the league.

I had LT, Jamal Lewis and Fred Taylor in a 3 RB league last year and still couldn't win.

:,-(
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk