Draft Strategies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Strategies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:27 pm

I try to take the best player available at the time of my pick. Like in the mock draft we finished a while back, I was just going along taking whoever looked like the best value at the time. My later rounds were pretty weak but my first few rounds were prety nice, I had a pretty nice starting linup. However, I will not take a QB if I already have one, unless of course it's something Like Manning left in the 5th round. I take whoever best fits my needs, I don't pull a Bills and take a player that would back up my stud with a high pick.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:12 pm

I try to fill need, but I won't pass up on a really good value pick (eg. Randy Moss in the 2nd). I usually follow the RB-RB format and the only WRs I would consider in the 2nd round are Moss, Marvin, and in the later part Chad.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:15 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I try to fill need, but I won't pass up on a really good value pick (eg. Randy Moss in the 2nd). I usually follow the RB-RB format and the only WRs I would consider in the 2nd round are Moss, Marvin, and in the later part Chad.
You would take Chad Johnson over Holt?
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Str8 Pimpin-Vikings » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:34 pm

I go with whatever POS i see getting thin you have to pickup a player at that POS if u see all RB going and you go WR,WR with ur 2 picks then ur screwed because you wont end up with a stud RB unless u trade
Vikings ALL THE WAY!!!
Pepper..MoSs...Bennett

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby FF Newbie » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:35 pm

Canacuna, I tried the "best player available" strategy in one mock draft and ended up with 4 RB and 2 QB in my first 6 picks. I had by far the most "value" on my team, but the worst starting lineup. This, obviously, would only work if I were able to pull off a couple of trades.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Str8 Pimpin-Vikings » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:36 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I try to fill need, but I won't pass up on a really good value pick (eg. Randy Moss in the 2nd). I usually follow the RB-RB format and the only WRs I would consider in the 2nd round are Moss, Marvin, and in the later part Chad.

Moss yes, marvin maybe, chad NO....ill tkae holt over marvin anyday.....holt is younger and is awesome and gets better and better every yr
Vikings ALL THE WAY!!!
Pepper..MoSs...Bennett

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:47 pm

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings wrote:ill tkae holt over marvin anyday.....holt gets better and better every yr

I'm one of many that likes Harrison over Holt this year, you just can't ignore the studly numbers that Marvin has put up consistently over the years. And actually, stats wise, Holt doesn't get "better and better" every year.

1999- 788 yards and 6 TD's
2000- 1636 yards and 6 TD's
2001- 1363 yards and 7 TD's
2002- 1302 yards and 4 TD's
2003- 1696 yards and 12 TD's

Good stats, but not "better and better every year." But even though those are solid numbers, Harrison has had better numbers fantasy-wise in every one of those years except for last year. Here the exact stats:

1999- 1663 yards and 12 TD's
2000- 1413 yards and 14 TD's
2001- 1524 yards and 15 TD's
2002- 1722 yards and 11 TD's
2003- 1272 yards and 10 TD's

As you can see, all around better numbers for Harrison. You also must remember that Manning is a much better QB than Bulger.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Str8 Pimpin-Vikings » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:04 pm

OK marvin will put those kind of stats up for 2 more yrs MAX......while Holt will be putting up great numbers for yrs and yrs to come
Vikings ALL THE WAY!!!
Pepper..MoSs...Bennett

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby hayesb26 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:09 pm

Man, what are you talking about. Holt is almost 28, while Marv is 31. That's not a ton of difference. The difference is the way that they play. Marvin is the type of receiver that plays with such a style that he can play, and play well, for many more years. I'd imagine him putting up those top 3 numbers for a few more years, then dropping towards the latter end of the top 10 fantasy receivers.

Meanwhile, Holt should be a top 5 fantasy option for a few more years as well. But, when Faulk moves on, as well as Bruce, don't look for Holt to remain in the top five. This was really Holt's first breakout fantasy season, and saying that he will duplicate these numbers for years and years is nothing more than speculation.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:44 pm

This past year was the first time I ever deviated from the RB-RB strategy, as I took Harrison in the mid-2nd round. It was also the first year that I didn't finish in the top 5 and was never a real contender.

To make matters worse, the guy I passed on to take Harrison was Jamal Lewis, and I ended up getting stuck with William Green as my #2 RB. So, I'll more than likely be going back to RB-RB-WR-WR this year unless Moss is around in the mid-2nd (which is highly unlikely), possibly mixing in a TE if Gonzo is somehow still around in the 4th.

This year is especially enticing to go with RB-RB, as there are some great RB's that look like they could be slipping to the 2nd round, even in 12 team leagues (Henry, S. Davis, Rudi, Barlow, D. Davis). I'm really hoping that I draft towards the end of the first round this year so I can nab one of those guys on the wraparound.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk