Draft Strategies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Strategies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:57 am

Free Bagel wrote:This past year was the first time I ever deviated from the RB-RB strategy, as I took Harrison in the mid-2nd round. It was also the first year that I didn't finish in the top 5 and was never a real contender.

So you consider that the only reason why you weren't a contender?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:14 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:This past year was the first time I ever deviated from the RB-RB strategy, as I took Harrison in the mid-2nd round. It was also the first year that I didn't finish in the top 5 and was never a real contender.

Nope. I had a few bad breaks as well, like the Pennington injury. It's just one of those things though, first time I deviate from my strategy is the first time I'm not at the top of the league.

I got a few steals in there, my starting QB ended up being a 15th rounder (Bulger) who performed very well. So my team was fairly solid across the board.

The problem all season was that I got slaughtered at the #2 RB spot every week. Willie Green/Troy Hambrick (after Green finally ended his season) didn't really matchup to guys like Jamal Lewis, Stephen Davis, etc. that the guys at the top of the league had. I thought I could make it up at #1 WR with Harrison, but 4th-6th round picks ended up keeping pace with him (Chad Johnson, Torry Holt, etc.). By the end of the year, there were maybe one or two teams that I had a distinct advantage over at #1 WR, whereas there were 8 or 9 teams that had a huge advantage over me at the #2 RB spot.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:27 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:

Nope. I had a few bad breaks as well, like the Pennington injury. It's just one of those things though, first time I deviate from my strategy is the first time I'm not at the top of the league.

I got a few steals in there, my starting QB ended up being a 15th rounder (Bulger) who performed very well. So my team was fairly solid across the board.

The problem all season was that I got slaughtered at the #2 RB spot every week. Willie Green/Troy Hambrick (after Green finally ended his season) didn't really matchup to guys like Jamal Lewis, Stephen Davis, etc. that the guys at the top of the league had. I thought I could make it up at #1 WR with Harrison, but 4th-6th round picks ended up keeping pace with him (Chad Johnson, Torry Holt, etc.). By the end of the year, there were maybe one or two teams that I had a distinct advantage over at #1 WR, whereas there were 8 or 9 teams that had a huge advantage over me at the #2 RB spot.

Well that's good at least. I think the major factor is the buyer's remorse over not getting Jamal Lewis. Who knew he was gonna rush for 2000 yards and 14 TDs? That's just one of those unlucky breaks that happen to us all. For instance, if Lewis had been taken and the next RB on your list was Corey Dillon or Tiki Barber, you'd probably be glad you deviated and went with Marvin Harrison.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:01 pm

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings wrote:OK marvin will put those kind of stats up for 2 more yrs MAX......while Holt will be putting up great numbers for yrs and yrs to come

And who told you that? Miss Cleo? That's more of a prediction that a statement backed up by stats.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk