Rookie RB Performers by TEAM - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rookie RB Performers by TEAM

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:48 am

Cinema, you're right, the guy may not be as talented of a RB, but when going after a rookie, it makes sense to pick the guy likely to get the most carries.

Dallas is most definitely start a rookie RB, and Parcells likes to call a lot of running plays, a lot. That translates into carries which ultimately translate into yards. Whoever they get, if he averages 3 yrds/carry but gets twice the carries of say stephen jackson and jackson puts up say 5 yrds/carry, he's still going to do better fantasy-wise.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:24 pm

maddog60 wrote:Cinema, you're right, the guy may not be as talented of a RB, but when going after a rookie, it makes sense to pick the guy likely to get the most carries.

Dallas is most definitely start a rookie RB, and Parcells likes to call a lot of running plays, a lot. That translates into carries which ultimately translate into yards. Whoever they get, if he averages 3 yrds/carry but gets twice the carries of say stephen jackson and jackson puts up say 5 yrds/carry, he's still going to do better fantasy-wise.

If they have a back who is averaging a terrible 3 yards a carry, Bill would change things up...whether it means passing more or changing backs, he wouldn't keep a rookie in there who's only getting 3 yards a carry, with a high number of carries like you said.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby pmac_03 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:25 pm

all i can say, is i cant wait to see where julius and greg jones go, that will be fun to watch, just because i like both of them... yea im a notre dame fan, greg is a seminal but .. its on a individual enjoyment.. to me its just fun to see who will be the next portis, there are a lot of good runningbacks out of miami, but to go from good to elite is awsome to watch.
crusaders treasurechest member: east-waterdown gunners. bills fan. going to opening day vs. jax!

pmac.
pmac_03
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bigGAME101 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:40 pm

getting back to that hypothetical situation, i would definately take stephen jackson if he goes to detroit. In fact, i would almost rather him go to deteroit than a system like denver or maybe even dallas. I know that dallas likes to run the ball, but it is very difficult to give a rookie running back an extreme amount of carries and expect huge production out of him. I think that in a system like dallas jackson would have the bulk of the offense on his shoulders, and to me that spells early disappointment. In detroit, they are much improving their D, they have begun changes to the o-line, and they have young stars in harrington and rogers to take some pressure of the running back that goes there. In short, jackson might see less carries, but he will be given enough opportunity to make some big plays and contribute to the offense (with many red zone carries IMO), without the strain of having to carry a strictly running team. I see jackson as being a stud in deteroit (within a couple years anyway), and more of a disappointment in dallas (at least this rookie season). I do think that a man like greg jones fits good in the dallas system, but the odds are he will be taken later in the draft.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk