The most important rookie post so far - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The most important rookie post so far

Moderator: Football Moderators

The most important rookie post so far

Postby aussieboy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:44 am

This relates to Kellen Winslow. Now Kellen is supposed to be much better than Shockey and many predict he will be better than Gonzales. Shockey gained nearly 900 yards in his rookie year and Gonzales totaled just over 900 last season. Now it must be reasonable to think that Winslow could come at least close to Shockeys rookie numbers and if this is indeed the case can Winslow be considered a top 3 or 4 TE straight off the bat? Now i know ranking rookies is extremely difficult for numerous reasons but if Winslow's talent is such then i dont see why he shouldnt be drafted ahead of any other rookie in Fantasy Drafts, especially considering the fact that he plays in such a scarce postion.

I put up a post recently debating that TGonz IMO is worth a 3rd round pick. If Winslow is capable of at least matching Shockey's rookie numbers he could be a real steal in many drafts.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aussieboy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:01 am

"........Kellen is supposed to be much better than Shockey and many predict he will be better than Gonzales........."

-Sorry that didnt quite come out right. I meant many think that Winslow is better than Shockey was as a rookie and he will eventually be better than Gonzales.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:14 am

With the way people are talking about him Winslow is almost a sure thing.....which is a difficult thing to say about a rookie.

So I agree with you here, Winslow should be the first rookie taken in a fantasy draft. I think he would be a steal in the 7th round.

QB - Takes a while to develop, rookies rarely have any fantasy impact the first year. Plus plenty of veteran talent can be found late in some drafts. In our mock Garcia was availible in the 11th round.

RB - Other great veteran talent availible. Rookies can have an impact, but shouldn't be taken any higher than a #3 or #4 option.

WR - Deep veteran talent availible even in leagues that start 3 WRs. Very difficult to predict how a rookie is going to perform. Case in point......Boldin wasn't that highly touted, but turned out to be the rookie of the year.

TE - Only about three guys worth drafting before the final few rounds of a draft. Due to the relatively low impact of the "middle" players this is a good position to take a risk on a rookie with......if it doesn't work out you usually can find a fill-in off the waiver wire.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Flux » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:48 am

I think Winslow will be good, but honestly, there is way too much hype about him.

Look at his stats from last year, 600yds and 1 TD, those are not at all impressive to me. Granted he had 8 TDs the year before, but thats also at the college level, the LBs in the pros are much faster and stronger, and he should have a more difficult time with them.

I can see him being a top 5 TE this year, but i would definitely not pick him before Gonzo or Shockey
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:51 am

I see that i didnt really answer your question and just rambled about Winslow (oops)

Anyway, even though he is hyped so much, he still very well could be the best offensive producing rookie in the draft. The only exception is if a RB who ends up on NE or Dal gets the starting job.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby badger526 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:06 am

I dont know guys.....HE'S A F***** SOULJA!!!!
The 2004-2005 Shook-up Can of Fury
QB Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner
RB Deuce, Rudi, Michael Pittman
WR Jimmy Smith, Randy Moss, David Terrel
TE LJ Smith
K John Hall
D Seahawks
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby aussieboy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:09 am

i think there are much bigger hyped rookies this yr than Winslow, and i remember Shockey having quite the high expectation with his entrance to the NFL.

I agree that there is no way Winslow should be drafted ahead of Shockey, Gonzales or Heap, but, i think he should be the first rookie drafted in fantasy, he will be available in rounds 7-10 in many drafts and by seasons end this could prove to be a massive steal.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:14 pm

He could be a nice steal as could Ben Troupe. However, I would take Fitz and Roy before him if they are in good situations and Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones ahead of him in good situations.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:18 pm

quick trivia question... how many tds did kellen winslow score last year?

one. thats it. i think hes overated, but i agree that he should be one of the first rookies taken in a redraft league, only because tight end is so shallow.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:08 pm

I'm pretty much going to say what's already been said, but I'm bored - so I don't care...

I'd rather take a chance on Kellen Winslow Jr. than go after someone like Randy McMichaels, Itula Mili, Alge Crumpler, etc. However, I remember in Shockey's rookie year, he went a 'lil high for my tastes in every draft I participated in that year. I can't imagine why Winslow II wouldn't go just as high.

That said, if you don't have Tony Gonzalez or Shannon Sharpe (assuming he doesn't retire), the TE position doesn't matter much (unless you enjoy wasting a high round pick on Heap or Shockey).
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to Football Talk