redraft league - pick 9 - snake - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

redraft league - pick 9 - snake

Moderator: Football Moderators

redraft league - pick 9 - snake

Postby proKrastinate » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:54 am

This is a snake redraft league. However, it comes with the possibility of being a one or two man keeper if everyone agrees, and//or we have a good group from work participating. (last year we had a couple non-competitive non-participating types).

Scoring is basic yahoo league:
All TD's = 6
Receptions = 1
Completions = 1
Passing yds (50) = 1
Rushing yds (20) = 1
Fumbles/Int = -2

Starting :
QB - 1
WR - 3
RB - 2
TE - 1
K - 1
Def - 1
Flex RB/WR - 1
Bench - 5

This cuts down 5 roster pos. from last year.

How would you draft if you had picks 1.9 and 2.2? I'm think that the majority of elite backs will be gone no? This is what I am figuring for my first round would go like
1) Possibly Taken -- LT(100% sure hes gone 1.1), Portis, Lewis, Holmes, Green, Alexander, McAllister, Top Tier WR (Harrison, maybe TO, etc)

With this in mind, would you go RB, WR or RB RB, maybe even RB, QB? Last year the guy who won our league drafted his second RB in the 6th round! However, no one apparently liked Jamal Lewis until the sixth round, and someone decided that a no-name TE named....i think...Gonzo? was doubtful week 3 and they didnt need him so the league winner picked him up. The runner up drafted his 2nd RB in the 9th RD. But we also started 4 WR and 2 TE so...and he was also able to get Manning (2nd rd) and McNair.
Keep in mind it was only a few of us who were experienced and most of us were first year players. So that mistake probably wont happen again but we are likely to have 1 not-so-ff-smart person.

As a reminder, these will likely be available.
Henry, M.Faulk, F.Taylor, D.Davis, S.Davis, and Rudi, Vick, McNafro, Manning, McNair, Top Tier WR

My thoughts are this, I could take Faulk again in the first round. I know he has injury problems, but a receiving back is killer in my league. And faulk isn't losing goal line carries either. Or perhaps I could take F.Taylor with my first pick, and hope that M.Faulk will still be available 3 picks later.

Then when round 3 rolls around (29th pick), I'm kinda hoping that maybe the likes of D.Davis or Rudi is still available. If not, I would draft by value a QB or WR in the late 3rd followed by my early 4th rd (which ever I didnt pick) another QB or WR. Depending on the QBs available also, I might draft another WR and wait for a QB in the 5th or 6th.

Further from this point is hard to predict, but I want to be overly prepared this year as to not make a mistake like Aaron brooks in the 3rd (3.29) or taking Krob before Bruce and Mason.

What do you all think?
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:14 am

If 1 or 2 WRs go before your 1st pick, definitely go Rb-RB. At 1.9 you can be almost gauranteed at least Edge is available. If he isn't, someone even better at RB will be.

If Randy Moss is still available, he's worth consideration. The problem is that in the 3rd round, the likes of D. Davis will not be available. Maybe someone like Curtis Martin, but even that is pushing it. After a few mock drafts I took part in, I'm beginning to think its better at the tail end to get 2 starting RBs, then try to take the TE advantage with your 3.9 or 4.2 pick if Gonzo is still there, rather than attempt to upset the balance with Moss.

Given the reception and completion points in your league, I think it might be best however to go RB-RB-QB-WR or RB-RB-WR-QB. Then again, if there's so much emphasis on receptions and completions people might hesitate to grab that 2nd RB and rather go RB-WR-QB, meaning it'd be ideal for you to snatch up Moss, Marvin or Holt early 2nd rd.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby FF Newbie » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:43 am

Assuming the top 8 picks are:

Priest
LT
A. Green
Portis
McCallister
R. Williams
Alexander
J. Lewis

With the 9th and 12th picks you could grab

1. Moss and Edge/Faulk/Taylor
OR
2. Any 2 of Edge/Faulk/Taylor

If one of the top-8 falls to #9, grab him and then take one of the remaining 4 players that I mentioned with the 12th pick. Whether you go Moss/RB or RB/RB is totally up to preference, but if you want Moss, you have to take him at the #9 as he's probably not available 3 picks later. Either way, I think these are the only 2 viable strategies for the #9 slot in a 10-team draft. Some people might grab a RB at #9 and then take Harrison at #12, but if you're going to take a WR with one of your first two picks anyway, just grab Moss at #9 and you'll still get a nice RB with the 12th pick. Edge/Faulk/Taylor are about even in my book.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:48 am

Well, Holmes, LT, AGreen, McAllister, Portis, JLewis, and Alexander should all have been selected by 1.9......but if any of them fall, jump on them.

Most likely at picks 1.9 & 2.2 you will have your choice of Edge, Ricky, Moss, Taylor, and Faulk. Thats the order I would take them in.....

At 3.9 all the good RBs will be gone, so I would look to either grab Gonzo, a top WR, or CPepp/Manning/Vick....but if DD, Barlow, Rudi, Tiki, Henry, or SDavis are still out there jump on them first.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby CC » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:11 pm

Buckychudd said it perfectly.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby proKrastinate » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:15 pm

how much does it matter that QB's get a pt per completion?
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FF Newbie » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:20 pm

At 3.9 all the good RBs will be gone, so I would look to either grab Gonzo, a top WR, or CPepp/Manning/Vick....but if DD, Barlow, Rudi, Tiki, Henry, or SDavis are still out there jump on them first.

Yeah, that's good in theory except for the fact that:

1. C-Pep, Manning, and Vick will DEFINITELY be gone
2. DD, Barlow, Rudi, Henry, and Davis will DEFINITELY be gone
AND
3. Gonzo will very likely be gone and Barber probably will

If you draft at the end of the order, the guys you'll be looking at at the end of the 3rd and beginning of the fourth won't be the top-3 QB, top-15 RB, or #1 TE types. They will be Westbrook/Bennett/Dillon at running back, Boldin/Horn/Mason/Coles at WR, or McNabb/McNair/Hasselback at QB.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby terpfan » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:22 pm

proKrastinate wrote:how much does it matter that QB's get a pt per completion?

well it means that quarterbacks are going to score ALOT of points. of course, they will ALL score alot of points so it doesnt make them a whooole lot more valuble than other positions, but i would not hesitate to take a guy like peyton manning in the second round. you want to go someone like peyton that throws ALOT. maybe something you should look up, im not fully up on which qbs get the most attempts (and completions). id imagine trent green and matt hasselbeck would be other good choices.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:29 pm

as a follow up to the completion question heres a link to completions by each qb last year: http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PRAT/2003/regular
manning easily becomes the top qb in this league. he completed 84 more passes than culpepper last year. 2.2 may be a little bit early for peyton, especially if a guy like moss is there. in my opinion if edge, ricky, moss, or taylor are there at 2.2 take them. otherwise peyton may be a strong possibility. he would be a great pick in the third but i doubt he falls that far.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby proKrastinate » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:42 pm

Just to get a feel for how much completions changes things (for my own benefit and so others can make an opinionated guess)

>: Completions :<
379 : Manning
354 : Brad Johnson
336 : Bulger
330 : Trent Green
324 : Kitna
317 : Brady
313 : Hasselbeck
309 : Harrington
308 : Favre
306 : Brooks
305 : Maddox
295 : Culpepper

>: TD's :<
32 : Favre
29 : Manning
26 : Kitna
26 : Hasselbeck
26 : Johnson
25 : Culpepper
24 : Green
24 : McNair
24 : Brooks
23 : Brady
22 : Bulger

One also to note that Manning was 9th among INT's (10). Without looking back and doing too much digging, how many of these guys TD's came in like, one game? Our league is Head to Head so it doesn't matter if I score 80 or 8 more pts then the other guy, a win is a win and I dont want 8 pts one week and 55 another.

edit
looks like you were finding a link as i was typing it in ;)

this doesn't account for rushing TD's either

also wanted to add, that the guy who was runner up in our league last year drafted manning 2.10
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk