FFB Leagues; Roto or H2H - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

FFB Leagues; Roto or H2H

Moderator: Football Moderators

FFB Leagues; Roto or H2H

Postby Chopper » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:11 pm

I lost my fantasy sports virginity last football season. Since that fateful day last August, I've become an absolute slut. I played in H2H leagues exclusively through football and basketball seasons. I've been somewhat successful (against admittedly suspect competition at times). I liked that H2H more or less personalized the competition every week. I enjoy going up against a well-defined opponent and figured that roto would be too impersonal, and well, just a bit geeky number crunching.
After some particularly painful playoff losses in football and especially in basketball, I'm becomming a roto convert.
I lost two football superbowls to what I considered to be inferior teams, but rolled with it and figured that I'd given it my best.
Basketball has been much more draining than football was with late season injuries and particularly high profile egostars shutting it down for every papercut and labia strain imaginable. Even worse is getting beat by waiver-wire workers who throw any warm body at every potential open roster spot.
Football mitigates some of this by having every team play the same week except for byes. Also, the fact that many fantasy football leagues wrap up before the last week of the season when some players may rest for 'real' playoffs helps.

So, what I'd really like to know is what your opinions are about roto football leagues. It seemed last season that most cafe members played H2H. Should I be looking for roto football leagues for this upcoming season? Does roto translate OK for fantasy football?
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:04 pm

I dont like roto for anything but FF. It is a lot more fun in a roto league IMO, but in baseball, bball, and hockey I like H2H. Roto translates MORE than fine. I would go with it this year ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Shatner8 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:08 pm

NittanyLions wrote:I dont like roto for anything but FF. It is a lot more fun in a roto league IMO, but in baseball, bball, and hockey I like H2H. Roto translates MORE than fine. I would go with it this year ;-D

Im actually the exact opposite. I think Roto is better for Basketball, Baseball and Hockey because the seasons are longer, and it allows the stats to accumulate. I personally am sticking with Head to Head for fantasy football, as i found it more fun
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby awwchrist » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:35 pm

Well I think that roto-leagues can show who truly has the most all-around productive team over the course of a season.

But who wants that? Players want to be able to go into a playoff scenario, and face off head to head in a Superbowl for the league Championship.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:13 pm

I like roto for anything but football.

With H2H, I'll be trash-talking my opponent the whole week before the game, checking out all the matches and predicting winners, etc. It keeps everyone more involved than roto does, in my opinion.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:08 pm

I don't like H2H for Baseball! As for Football I like H2H!
Both Basketball and Hockey I did H2H this year, but I am thinking of possibly doing a Roto next year.
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:54 pm

The all-around point champ for my league last year got 3rd in my league last year due to head to head scoring. He was pretty mad about that, especially when he almost didn't make the playoffs. To me, head to head best personifies an actual game situation. Just because you have the better overall team doesn't mean you should be handed a win, especially the championship. If you have an off day, that's the way it goes. As they say, that's why they play the games!

I don't really know the best way for baseball, although I would say a combination of head to head and overall scoring would be best...I think that's how it's done though. I would take a week's worth of overall scoring against another player and whoever gets the most points gets the win.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:56 pm

I gotta go with H2H especially if ur playin against friends ;-D

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:06 pm

The reason that I don't H2H for baseball is that you don't have enough time to get invoved in a matchup. IN Football everyone plays 1 game. It all comes down to what happens on that Sunday or MNF. In Baseball you really don't have enough time to get involved in a matchup, especially with Pitchers pitching in a 5 day rotation. That means on a Normal week you will get 1 outing from a pitcher, some times even 2. I don't like H2H, but I am still involved in one because it wasn't my decison. I like my ROTO league better. As for Baseketball and Hockey, H2H works. Each palyer will play about 4 games a week, schedules are more balanced. I might try a Roto Basketball or Hockey league, jsut to see if I like it or not, But I won't join a Football ROTO league.

I think that Fantasy Football was made to be played H2H
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:24 pm

H2H for sure, don't switch to roto just because you got beat.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk