Collins in San Diego? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Collins in San Diego?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Collins in San Diego?

Postby TTTBone » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:46 pm

THE NEWS

Quarterback Kerry Collins has one year remaining on his contract, and it is often assumed that Collins will be the Giants' starter in 2004, regardless of what happens in the draft. However, Newsday reported that the Giants might release Collins if they use an early pick on a quarterback. Instead, the Giants might release Collins to help with the salary cap and look for a more inexpensive veteran to groom the rookie. The paper also noted that it would be tough for the Giants to sign their rookie class unless Collins receives a new deal or is released.

OUR VIEW

We have to wonder if the Giants are offering Collins to the Chargers as part of a package to get the number one pick. Certainly Kerry would be an upgrade to Drew Brees, and the Chargers could then concentrate on the numerous other holes they have to fill. We'll know much more about the Giants' quarterbacking situation and Collins' future on April 24, if not sooner.

I think Collins is still a legit starter in the league, and certainly would be an upgrade over Brees. Not a star, but definately can get the job done. Guy's had a tough career, but IMO still deserves to be a starter somewhere.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WhiteChocolate » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:49 pm

Collins is alrite, when he doesn't hit that bottle.. but lets be honest, even i'd be an upgrade over Drew Brees...

WHO LET THEM HOKIES OUT?
WhiteChocolate
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:54 pm

WhiteChocolate wrote:Collins is alrite, when he doesn't hit that bottle.. but lets be honest, even i'd be an upgrade over Drew Brees...

maybe he NEEDs to hit the bottle more ;-D
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

jump on it!

Postby NFLknowitall » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:58 pm

If I were the Chargers GM (I wish) I would jump all over this offer. You get a QB in Kerry Collins who can throw the ball as well as anyone when he has protection. Then they would drop down to pick #4 and either grab one of the top WR's like Fitz or Roy or get the best OT in Gallery. That would boost their offense extremly. Collins is better than Brees and is not that old. He was in a Super Bowl and even threw 5 td's passes in that NFC Championship Game.

Get Gallery, run LT, spend your 2nd rounder on Evans or Jenkins, protect Collins. Schotty ball is playing it safe, that's safe.

Who am I fooling? They will never do it.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: jump on it!

Postby TTTBone » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:14 pm

NFLknowitall wrote:If I were the Chargers GM (I wish) I would jump all over this offer. You get a QB in Kerry Collins who can throw the ball as well as anyone when he has protection. Then they would drop down to pick #4 and either grab one of the top WR's like Fitz or Roy or get the best OT in Gallery. That would boost their offense extremly. Collins is better than Brees and is not that old. He was in a Super Bowl and even threw 5 td's passes in that NFC Championship Game.

Get Gallery, run LT, spend your 2nd rounder on Evans or Jenkins, protect Collins. Schotty ball is playing it safe, that's safe.

exactly ;-D
...and Collins might be willing to restructure his contract to get out of a seemingly no-future situation in NY and get a fresh start playing for Shottenheimer, whose coaching philosophy suits his talents.
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:22 pm

I like kerry sinc ehes form PSU, but I think he would also be an asset to the chargers. Hes still got good skills and they, as stated before, could use picks on weapons for him ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:51 pm

SD would never take this deal unless Collins restructured his contract, and even then, they might pass hoping that Warner, Collins, or Kitna would be cut after June 1.

It would be great if they could trade down to 4 and still get Gallery, but it seems as if he will be picked at #2 whether it be by the Raiders or someone they trade with.

Im going to take a flyer here though and say that Robert Gallery will be the #1 pick in the draft. All the rumors about people moving up to 2 or 3 to take him only makes SD's pick that much more valuable. Who will own that first pick is still up for grabs.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:04 pm

That would definitely a huge move to the up side for SD, but the Giants would almost have to draft a QB with the pick. That would still not help their offensive line, and without that, their offense is still going to stink unless the QB gets a big-time server upgrade...

I think Flux is on to something about Gallery being taken first. Even if they don't want him, someone else will, and they could pick and choose who they send him to and what they will get in return. OK, so I'm not up on my NFL draft ethics, but couldn't they do what they do in the NBA draft and just switch players after they are picked that day? Please correct me if my thinking is flawed.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:24 pm

Drew Brees is so bad... I think COllins would be an upgrade but there will be no one to throw to... Kevin Dyson?

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TTTBone » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:35 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:Drew Brees is so bad... I think COllins would be an upgrade but there will be no one to throw to... Kevin Dyson?

Yes, but trading down to #4 San Diego would still be able to get either Fitz or Roy Williams (Gallery will probably be gone).
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk