Dallas to trade Allen?

Postby JayM09 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:34 am

i wonder what the boys are cooking up here

story here

Cowboys may deal OL Allen

Eight-time Pro Bowler meets with Oakland; might visit Detroit

08:59 AM CDT on Thursday, April 15, 2004

By TODD ARCHER and JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Larry Allen's future could be in Oakland.

As a precursor to a possible trade, the Cowboys' eight-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman visited the Raiders on Tuesday, taking a physical and meeting with front-office personnel, according to a source, and could be on his way to Detroit for a similar meeting. Under NFL rules, Allen must have permission from the Cowboys to make these trips.

Allen's agent, Marvin Demoff, would not comment on his client's whereabouts, but he did discuss Allen's future in Dallas for the first time.

"I think there's been enough articles written about Larry and the Cowboys that would make it difficult for him to return," Demoff said. "I don't know the reasons for the articles. I don't know if it's coming from the Cowboys, but for someone who went to all these Pro Bowls and has done everything he's done there, there seems to be a lot of negativity this off-season for, in my view, no reason."

Last week, two sources told The Dallas Morning News that the Cowboys would not trade Allen for anything less than a second- or third-round draft choice. The Cowboys have only five picks in the upcoming draft and would like to acquire more.

Demoff said that Allen wants to play for another few years and that his client has no thoughts of retirement. Allen has been troubled by injuries in recent years. He was slowed during last year's training camp and parts of last season with ankle and knee injuries.

Because of a disagreement in workout philosophies with coach Bill Parcells, Allen has not take part in the Cowboys' conditioning program, instead lifting weights on his own at a local YMCA.

In Oakland, Allen, who attended Sonoma State, which is 45 miles north of San Francisco, would play for former Cowboys offensive coordinator Norv Turner, the head coach, and former special teams coach Joe Avezzano, who is heading up that unit for the Raiders.

The Raiders also signed Ron Stone, one of Allen's closest friends and a neighbor. Also, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones and Raiders owner Al Davis have a strong relationship and have worked several trades.

If they trade Allen, the Cowboys would take an $8 million hit against the salary cap in 2004. Allen has a $3.5 million base salary this season, which is all the cap space a team that would acquire Allen would need.

If Allen remains with the Cowboys after the draft and is cut June 1, then the Cowboys would take a $2 million hit on the cap this year and more than $6 million next year. The Cowboys are close to $11 million below the salary cap.

In order to acquire Allen, it's believed the Raiders would have to create some salary-cap space. Detroit, however, has more than $9 million of room.

Trading Allen would leave a hole on the Cowboys' offensive line, but Gennaro DiNapoli, Matt Lehr or Tyson Walter could fill in. Torrin Tucker played guard in college but played tackle in his rookie season, and the Cowboys could look to the draft for a guard.
[b]cafe leagues
nkl 9-6 #3 seed, runner-up
budbowl 10-5 #3 seed. 3rd place
vxl 11-4 #1 seed, runner-up
gbffl 10-5 #2 seed, lost semis
cafe champs 12-4 #1 seed, runner-up[/b]
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:46 am

For the 2nd pick in the in the 2nd round, I could see this trade going through. Parcells can get his RB and a young O-lineman with the 1st and that pick however he pretty much pleases.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CinemaFreak » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:04 am

I like this! Although I believe this would be the 13th pick in the second round, 45th overall. We need more picks and this would get us a better Corner Back or Offensive Guard, assuming we take a RB in the first.

As for the Raiders, would they still consider Gallery (OT) as a pick with this trade (Allen - OL) or would they trade down and take Williams?
CinemaFreak Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:24 am

i think a 2nd rd pick may be too much for a team to give up considering Allen probably will be cut on June 1 anyway. I read another report that they were looking for a middle rd pick, which seems more reasonable to me.

I would think that if the Raiders did get LA, they would for sure trade down, and end up taking a WR.

Like I said in a previous thread, i have no idea how the Raiders can afford all these recent signing (buchanan, walker, allen) when they are only $100,000 under the cap. All of these moves mean some unexpected people are going to get cut, and makes the Dillon trade less and less likely.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:38 pm

DallasNews.com wrote:IRVING – Larry Allen, who once bench-pressed 700 pounds, has been to the Pro Bowl eight times with an off-season regimen that relies on bench presses to strengthen his upper body and squats for his lower body.

Coach Bill Parcells won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants and led New England to another by overseeing an off-season strength and conditioning program that relies on power clean and jerks – exercises designed to increase a player's explosion, quickness and acceleration.

Bench presses and squats will make a player stronger but have little, if any, impact on quickness and explosion.

That difference in philosophy is at the center of a dispute between Allen and Parcells, which has resulted in the 32-year-old left guard opting not to participate in the club's voluntary off-season workout program, two club sources said.

Parcells remains committed to his strength and conditioning program because the results have been good.

Last season, the Cowboys' defense did not lose a starter to injury after Week 2, when defensive tackle Willie Blade rejoined the starting lineup.

For now, Allen works out regularly at a local YMCA, where he is joined occasionally by his wife, Janelle.

Allen, his agent, Marvin Demoff, and Parcells could not be reached for comment.

While Allen and Parcells remain at an impasse, the sources said Allen will not be released, though the Cowboys will entertain trade offers.

But Allen will not be traded unless the Cowboys receive at least a second- or third-round draft choice, the sources said.

If Allen is traded before June 1, he would count $8 million against the club's salary cap. If he's dealt after June 1, he would count $2 million against the 2004 salary cap and $6 million against the 2005 salary cap.

Allen, entering his 10th season, should still have several productive seasons left, but he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

Trading players for picks can be difficult this time of year because teams are so focused on the draft and the young players they expect to add to their rosters.

Dallas is also a team with questions at right tackle, right guard and center. Trading Allen could add another question at left guard.

Allen has struggled with ankle injuries the last two seasons.

A high ankle sprain limited Allen to five starts in 2002. He had surgery that December to remove bone spurs, which affected his off-season conditioning.

And before the 2002 season, he had surgery to repair his left rotator cuff, which affected his off-season conditioning program.

Although Allen left several games with knee and ankle injuries last season, he never appeared on an injury report and he didn't have off-season surgery.

He struggled in the middle of the season but played solidly at the start and end.

Left tackle Flozell Adams was the only offensive lineman the coaching staff graded higher than Allen.

Source: Allen, Parcells at odds, but veteran may stay

Canacuna Leaves for Canada in... One Hour. Enjoy him while you have him.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CinemaFreak » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:48 pm

Detriot Free Press:
Larry Allen, an eight-time Pro Bowl guard with the Dallas Cowboys, is expected to visit the Lions today. Allen, 32, spent Monday and Tuesday in Oakland. He is being shopped by the Cowboys, who are hoping to trade him for a mid-round pick in the NFL draft. The Lions need a starting right guard after the retirement of Ray Brown and the loss of Eric Beverly to Atlanta. . . .

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions15_20040415.htm
CinemaFreak Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby MCG321 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:15 pm

Boy, the Raiders have really targeted young players this offseason! :-)
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk