The NFL is just plain wrong here......... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The NFL is just plain wrong here.........

Moderator: Football Moderators

The NFL is just plain wrong here.........

Postby WatchMeDisappear » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:04 pm

I know this is my very first time posting here but i am a long time reader here and i just wanted to say something that i need to get off my shoulders.

Regarding the recent court decision regarding entry into the NFL draft, I have the following to say.First off, lets say that a very talented 19 year old football player wants to get paid to play football. What are his options? Let's say that this particular young man is not very book smart, and would not do well at all in college. Does he then have to go to college for 3 years to earn the right to play in the NFL? As I see it, this is not fair. His going to college isn't a fair qualification for entering the league and playing football. If his ambition is to be a professional football player, and he has the talent to do so, why should he not be allowed. Some people bring up the fact that physicality is an issue. Well I can name off hundreds of guys in the NFL that are smaller than both Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams. Your telling me that Mike Williams is not physically ready to play against a 5'10, 180 lbs Ty Law. Williams is 6-5, 230 for christs sake. So, the physicality argument is rendered useless. Finally, how can we condone a guy like Pete Sampras leaving middle school at age 14 to play professional tennis, yet we have so much of an issue with letting an 18 year old play pro football? So your telling me that Maurice Clarett could go over to Baghdad and fight for his country but he can't play football in it???
WatchMeDisappear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Football Newbie » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:09 pm

ugh there is like a million posts on this mr. guest. But here we go again. First of all, mike williams and clarett (your attempt at being subtle just came off as annoying) will not be getting tackled by 5'10 180 pounds guys everytime. Those are exceptions. Most MLB's and OLB's are MUCH bigger, and any route across the middle could land you face to face with Ray Lewis, or a safety like Lynch. Sure they got talent, but a 18 year old body needs more strength training and such to avoid getting demolished the first year.

And as to talking about sampras, the kid still recieved tudoring and the equivalent of a high school education while he was traveling. Sampras also didnt have to face 300 pound linebackers trying to kill him, HE PLAYED FREAKING TENNIS. :-°
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby WatchMeDisappear » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:15 pm

So you are telling me it is perfectly fair that Clarett or Williams go to Baghdad fight for his country but still cannot get paid to play football? Forget all youre feelings on how this will effect NFL and NCAA and make it more like baseball.... just think, is it fair?
WatchMeDisappear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:21 pm

WatchMeDisappear wrote:So you are telling me it is perfectly fair that Clarett or Williams go to Baghdad fight for his country but still cannot get paid to play football? Forget all youre feelings on how this will effect NFL and NCAA and make it more like baseball.... just think, is it fair?

Is life fair? Let 'um get an education and then worry about getting a job.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:22 pm

You made some interesting arguments, and I'm sure some of them were used in the court hearing. It sounds good, but still I would rather see a young guy get more conditioning with kids their age before they hit a high-impact league like the NFL. I think the sooner you hit the big time, the less time you may be there. If these young kids come in and get drilled every day at practice and game-days by people much bigger and mature and more technically sound than them, their bodies will degrade faster and the money they could make would only decline in the long run - not to mention after football injury! If they are allowed to progress in size with others in their age group, I think they will last the game much longer and can be conditioned properly to take the pounding for 8 - 12 years instead of maybe 5 or 6.

I'm a little annoyed with the whole Freddy Adu 14 year old thing also, but soccer is once again not as rough-and-tumble as the NFL, nor is tennis. As long as you can run really far for a long time and hit a ball with a racket/your foot pretty fast, you can compete in those sports. The NHL youngsters also sort of bother me, but I still think the NFL offers a little bit harder hitting...but not by much!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WatchMeDisappear » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:24 pm

VHawk15 wrote:
WatchMeDisappear wrote:So you are telling me it is perfectly fair that Clarett or Williams go to Baghdad fight for his country but still cannot get paid to play football? Forget all youre feelings on how this will effect NFL and NCAA and make it more like baseball.... just think, is it fair?

Is life fair? Let 'um get an education and then worry about getting a job.

very nice informative post there... ;-D

Concerning age & maturity in respect of the game intself, it seemed to work out okay for LeBron James and Carmello Anthony. Don't get me wrong though, I don't put Clarett in their category. But it is conceivable that he is ready. And toughness? Taking hits from Ray Lewis and such? What the hell does age have to do with that? These guys are in better shape than probably almost everyone older than them, that is 95-99% of the population. So this idea that they will get hurt because they're too young is ridiculous. I know that is CLarett and Williams were to go into the NFL, they would not be even close to the weakest out of their positions.
WatchMeDisappear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:26 pm

I agree that the NFL is wrong. What grounds do they have to keep these players out? They claim to be concerned about their health but allow the use of astro-turf and hard helmets that have proven to cause injuries. They say that high schoolers and Clarett/Williams aren't physically mature enough to play the game. They have test to determine if a player is strong, fast and agile enough to play in the league. Every arguement they make is wrong and they don't care because they are lying.
The reason they don't want these players in the draft is that they are worried that owners will make fools of themselves by drafting someone who isn't skilled enough to play. It's that simple. And keeeping these players out doesn't change that. Look how many players they draft and pay that are bust even with 4 years of compound tryouts (that would be NCAA play). Just refer to any Penn State RB for an example, sorry Nittny.
Get your heads out fo your asses NFL, this is a battle you ultimately can't win.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby WatchMeDisappear » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:29 pm

The other reason that the NFL doesnt want this is that the NFL does not have a solid developmental system like the other sports do. As a result they depend on the colleges to develope talent for them. If they start taking talent out of the college system, then college athletics suffer, and they end up weakening their "free" developemental league.

And do you think it's fair that the NFL is using this "free" developmental league. These kids are busting there asses on college campuses around the country and for what? If your Mike Williams, now you have to face the prospect of blowing out a knee and never playing again as opposed to getting his payday 5 days from now. Education? what about those kids who aren't fit for school? Doesn't it hurt those institutions in the long run to be providing academics free of charge to students who don't want to be there. Shouldn't public universities be for students who want to apply themselves and receive an education for a career. Not for a stud RB who's just playing for the NFL's "free" developmental league so that he can get noticed and make a paycheck doing what he does best.
WatchMeDisappear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:29 pm

LeBron/Carmelo is a whole different story than Clarett/Williams. It's a totally different sport and situation. First of all, Clarett would be towards the end of his position, the kid really isn't that great. Mike Williams is obviously a better player, but definitely should'nt be compared to LeBron James.

Also, who wants the NFL to turn into the NBA? And like I said before, life isn't always fair. They should've just waited another year.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Football Newbie » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:30 pm

WatchMeDisappear wrote:Concerning age & maturity in respect of the game intself, it seemed to work out okay for LeBron James and Carmello Anthony. Don't get me wrong though, I don't put Clarett in their category. But it is conceivable that he is ready. And toughness? Taking hits from Ray Lewis and such? What the hell does age have to do with that? These guys are in better shape than probably almost everyone older than them, that is 95-99% of the population. So this idea that they will get hurt because they're too young is ridiculous. I know that is CLarett and Williams were to go into the NFL, they would not be even close to the weakest out of their positions.

Im sorry but you are just wrong there. You keep referring to non contact sports to try to support your argument. Again, as was stated in at least 2 posts before, sports like tennis, soccer, and basketball, if you can shoot a ball and run fast, or kick a ball and run fast, then you can survive. In non of those sports are you being hit by bigger guys with much more training.

Your argument that they are in better shape than 95% of people there age or older, who cares?!?!?! Are they going to be playing against those people? NO. THey are playing against trained athletes who with more years of weight training and playing will be in better shape than them.

I was planning on going on, but its pointless. Your arguments are redundant and refer to points which have no place in this argument. Do some research, re-evaluate your position, think before you post, then come back. Im sick of arguing with you. Its ok to have a different opinion, just be able to back it up with a logical argument.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk