The NFL is just plain wrong here......... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The NFL is just plain wrong here.........

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:19 am

Here is the thing that no one seems to look at. CLarrett wants to be seen as some renegade pioneer to all athletes, primarily black athletes.....but why has no one else done this before....CLarett is hardly the best RB to play college ball.

Even the greatest players like Barry Sanders, Tony DOrsett, Peyton Manning, Charles WOodson, and others have not attempted to make a$$e$ of themselves and try to sue the NFL to play. They went to COLLEGE and were STUDS. They didnt think the world OWED THEM....too many people like CLarett think that everyone owes them a damn favor.....get over it.

Clarrett is doing this because he became a criminal @ Ohio State and knows he screwed up and that this is I guess his way of screwing Ohio State, since they kicked him to the curb.

BTW I dont have much contempt for Mike WIlliams in this, he just declared since he thought he was ready, I dont like that he has filed suit as well, but at least he isnt holding press conferences and avoiding any questions of substance like CLarrett did a month or two ago.

That press conference was the final straw for me.....I put Clarrett in the same mold attitude-wise as Barry Bonds, Keyshawn Johnson, Chad Johsnon, Joe Horn, Michael Irvin and others who are like "that"....."that" is open to interpretation, but I am sure you all knwo what I am saying....just compare A Maurice Clarett to a Marvin Harrison and see teh difference.

If he does go in teh draft, I would hope all 32 teams hold a conference call and agree to not draft him until the last pick and then cut him.....let him be Mr. Irrelevant...that would be a nice blow to his thug-like ego.

Quit whining Clarett and go beg your way back into some D-!! school or go play in Europe just get off my TV.
Arrowhead Nation
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:52 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Just my two cents:

THe NFL is the employer, and obviously the players are employees of it. Employers have the right to set requirements for their entire employee base. For instance, I am going to college for a degree in computer science. Why? Because the employers I wish to work for won't hire me unless I have the degree. Its one of my requirements for being employed.

Age discrimination in the workplace is illegal.

Except that there is no specification for age here.

Maddog is exactly right, this is kinda what I was trying to get across on page 1.

If a computer company hiring a software engineer sets a requirement that the person they're hiring must have at least 3 years of experience in software engineering, they can damn well do so. Same deal here...

Besides, last time I checked, you had to be 35 to be President...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:15 am

Plindsey88 wrote:

THe NFL is the employer, and obviously the players are employees of it. Employers have the right to set requirements for their entire employee base.

Maddog is exactly right.

That's my take.

How many jobs out there are you NOT qualified for because you don't have a degree, or the credentials, or the experience? The NFL has set certain standards for a prospective employee in that position.

It would be like me saying, "I don't give a rip if you require a Masters Degree... I'm good enough and you have to change." Pretty freaking arrogant!
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Ths NFL is right

Postby jjdub » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:09 am

maddog60 wrote:The NFL is the employer, and obviously the players are employees of it. Employers have the right to set requirements for their entire employee base.

I completely agree with this and I think this ends the debate as to whether or not the NFL is right (from a legal standpoint).

All of the discussion about preparedness, fairness, etc. are a completely separate discussion and should have nothing to do with the legal ruling. If any change were to be made it must be an appeal to the Union and the NFL to change their policy, but it would ultimately still be their decision as employers.
jjdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby kashikis » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:20 am

Plindsey88 wrote:

THe NFL is the employer, and obviously the players are employees of it. Employers have the right to set requirements for their entire employee base. For instance, I am going to college for a degree in computer science. Why? Because the employers I wish to work for won't hire me unless I have the degree. Its one of my requirements for being employed.

Wow this has turned into quite a topic of discussion. While I try and avoid these I'll throw 2 more things into the mix. Don't read too much into anything I'm just stating the facts.

Age discrimination is not illegal in every job, there are loopholes currently present. Example?, well hell just ask the president and legislators. Or one that is more down to earth, a factory worker or even a deli worker. A lot of machines are to be operated by 18 or older personnel only, so you can't be hired for that specific job because the job is too dangerous.

And honestly if they say it's age discrimination and allow youngsters to play it will simply come down to this. Some 18 year old phenom will be put in a wheelchair and have to teach everyone a lesson. It's unfortunate but even when this happens to a veteran it opens everyone's eyes, just imagine when some kid 3 months removed from high school has it happen to them? They will rethink the ruling then just to cover their own asses, and the NFL will say "I told ya so."

Now that I've thrown some fuel on the fire I'm outta here, but those are the first two things I thought of after reading all these posts.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Sandwich » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:35 am

Arent we missing a huge point here? Truth is that noone involved except the players and the fans gives a rip about what is fair and what isn't. The rules were created by the players association (which represents players ALREADY in the league), the owners and the commish. They are in the business of protecting their own butts. Without younger players, vets can play longer and therefore make more $.

My other point is that if this is fair or not to Clarett and Williams is a mute point. There are plenty of other players who this decision effects. Some would be helped and some would be hurt regardless of which way the decision is made.

Imagine a 18 year old who isn't quite ready to play and comes up picked in the late rounds. Gets injured preseason and never develops and never plays again. The same kid staying in school may have a better chance down the road. It is 50/50. Some kids are hurt by coming up early and some are helped. The 3 year rule is arbitrary and designed to have talent come up that can reasonably be expected to have matured (physically) enough to have a reasonable chance.

Is it fair? Who cares?
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby WatchMeDisappear » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:59 pm

kevinashcraft wrote:
Clarrett is doing this because he became a criminal @ Ohio State and knows he screwed up and that this is I guess his way of screwing Ohio State, since they kicked him to the curb.

Yea, he did do that, but he still has the right to take the NFL to court. This was going to happen sooner or later and I guess whoever was the one to do it is whoever you guys are willing to blame. One more thing, this whole thing was not Clarett's idea, people were talking about this issue long before Clarett even thought of suing the NFL.
WatchMeDisappear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:12 pm

ya as for the earlier arguement of mike williams being 6'5 235 to ty laws 5'10 185...

Im 5'9 185 and so is ricky manning im pretty sure ricky manning would beat the living hell out of my 5'9 185 frame... this is do to his pro training... their bodies are not nearly ready for the shock of hard hitting players like brian dawkins..

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:17 pm

Sandwich i completely agree with you

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby WatchMeDisappear » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:50 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:ya as for the earlier arguement of mike williams being 6'5 235 to ty laws 5'10 185...

Im 5'9 185 and so is ricky manning im pretty sure ricky manning would beat the living hell out of my 5'9 185 frame... this is do to his pro training... their bodies are not nearly ready for the shock of hard hitting players like brian dawkins..

LOL.... but the question is, would Ty Law beat the living hell out of Mike Williams? I do not think so!
WatchMeDisappear
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk