The NFL is just plain wrong here......... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

The NFL is just plain wrong here.........

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby JrcWy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:38 pm

Talk about beating a dead horse...I think there is nothing more to be said in here. BUT I'd just like to throw in my little opinion before I go.

As long as we are playing around with this rule, I'd like to see them move the limit up to 4 years removed so that everyone must go through there senior year of college.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 523
Joined: 1 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WatchMeDisappear » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:20 pm

JrcWY wrote:As long as we are playing around with this rule, I'd like to see them move the limit up to 4 years removed so that everyone must go through there senior year of college.


LOL......... not gonna happen!
WatchMeDisappear
Water Boy
Water Boy

User avatar

Posts: 68
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Sandwich » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:43 am

OK one more thing I love about the NFL and NFL fans. We love this game so much that we are willing to debate this issue and post like 50 times about it and the season is still 4 months off. I love us. You wouldn't see tennis fans with this much enthusiasm.
Whatever your enthusiasm this is the greates sport / league in the world.

;-D
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 548
Joined: 22 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: in the dark

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:38 pm

Natala Gala Pampa wrote:I think the NFL is in the right to do what they think is best for their product. It is a business and it is not personal. Just as many business do. In order to get a job at certain places you need to have previous experience or a degree from a university. In fact there are thousands of places that would not even consider you application without proper qualifications. This is not an open door policy. This is real billion dollar business. That is why the ruling is fair. Maurice Clarret and Mike Williams are not eligible because they do not meet the criteria. They are talented and are better than a lot of NFL players but that is not the only factor in being a NFL player. Time and experience are just as important.


Alright, I can't believe people from the 'Land of the free' would argue against this. This rule is BS and when the courts have the proper amount of time to go over it the NFL will have to allow these players to play. Your argument about experience s just plain dumb. Clarett is probably not going to be playing football this year but he'll be available for next years draft. Is that experience? Nope. If anything he'll be even less prepared. The rule should be changed. Each team I'm sure can make there own decisions.
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1599
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Up in Canada

Postby jaymz742 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:00 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I could give two sh**s about all this "not physically ready," or "they need an education" stuff.

Bottom line is that the NFL is a business, and if they want to put a restriction on what employees they hire, they can damn well do so. Go look at monster.com, and search for a job. You'll see "must be/know........" Same deal here.

I don't even know where the hell this notion of age discrimmination came from...give me a break. You can't work legally until your 15. Age discrimmination? Child labor laws....age discrimmination?

If Nike's hiring for their CEO, they're not gonna look at any 16 year old. The NFL has the same right to pick and choose who they're willing to employ.


This man nailed it. Its there league, period. Why don't you post were you live and we will all come over and stay at your place. I mean its not fair that we can't. Isn't it? What if i needed to use your crapper, would you let me? Another thing the physical part of your argument, your a little off with that. There concern is the fact that in males there bones are still forming and hardening until about the age of twenty-five. That is were there concern is. So when a twenty one year old gets drafted and then he will see some light duty, not constant contact. Then about twenty-three his body will be close to peaking. Therefore giving him less chance of being a statistic. Just thought about something else. Lets say a kid (19) that is a legal adult but that is not an adult. Anyways, Mike Williams gets drafted and boom. Blows his knee out. Something happens and it doesn't heal right. At twenty hes out of the NFL and lost a chance at gettin' a degree. Lets just say life isn't what he planned it to be. Thats all Can't believe i went on like that when Bagal nailed it to begin with!! 8-o
Image
jaymz742
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 202
Joined: 20 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Sodus, N.Y.

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:27 am

jaymz742 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I could give two sh**s about all this "not physically ready," or "they need an education" stuff.

Bottom line is that the NFL is a business, and if they want to put a restriction on what employees they hire, they can damn well do so. Go look at monster.com, and search for a job. You'll see "must be/know........" Same deal here.

I don't even know where the hell this notion of age discrimmination came from...give me a break. You can't work legally until your 15. Age discrimmination? Child labor laws....age discrimmination?

If Nike's hiring for their CEO, they're not gonna look at any 16 year old. The NFL has the same right to pick and choose who they're willing to employ.


This man nailed it. Its there league, period. Why don't you post were you live and we will all come over and stay at your place. I mean its not fair that we can't. Isn't it? What if i needed to use your crapper, would you let me? Another thing the physical part of your argument, your a little off with that. There concern is the fact that in males there bones are still forming and hardening until about the age of twenty-five. That is were there concern is. So when a twenty one year old gets drafted and then he will see some light duty, not constant contact. Then about twenty-three his body will be close to peaking. Therefore giving him less chance of being a statistic. Just thought about something else. Lets say a kid (19) that is a legal adult but that is not an adult. Anyways, Mike Williams gets drafted and boom. Blows his knee out. Something happens and it doesn't heal right. At twenty hes out of the NFL and lost a chance at gettin' a degree. Lets just say life isn't what he planned it to be. Thats all Can't believe i went on like that when Bagal nailed it to begin with!! 8-o


Get a degree? Are you kidding me? This guy is in college for a degree? Yeah right!! And what if he blows his knee in college? Then he's out of the pay day he should be entitled to. The biggest joke is you guys think this has something to do with the NFL wanting to protect these young men. It's all about money. They don't have to pay for a league to develop talent as long as they get to have the college do it for them. The colleges make boatloads of money off these young men who can't even recieve a pair of sneakers. WHAT A JOKE!! I say let the damn teams make up their minds if they want to draft an underclassman or not. They have enough scouts out there. And if they're willing to take the risk of drafting a guy a year earlier then they should be allowed to do so. In this case I'm sure only the guys that have a chance to make it would be drafted. And if they don't well too bad for them. It was their decision and they have to live with it. But it was their decision. America land of the free? Not in the NFL.

Oh by the way to all the people that say ' well all jobs have requirements' blah, blah, blah. The requirements are not about age. If you have 5 years managerial experience at the age of 20 then you meet those requirements. The NFL isn't making experience requirements. They are making AGE requirements. Other jobs don't say you have to have a degree and be out of high school for 6 years. You just have to have the degree. If the NFL really wanted to do something for these kids then they should say they have to have a degree. Then they would have to finish their college careers and get a degree. But really the NFL couldn't care less. It's never been about whats best for the kids. It's about whats best for them.....i.e. MONEY!! Anyone who disagrees is fooling themselves.
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1599
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Up in Canada

Postby pmix » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:02 pm

I agree, it is about the MONEY.

Who wants to waste millions of dollars on players that have not proven themselves outside of tearing up there high school league. The league and owners are protecting the game, and I am all for that.
I'M A CERTIFIED 'SPECIAL MASTER'
pmix
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1206
Joined: 25 Sep 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Go Zygi Go

Postby maddog60 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:23 pm

Where did all this whining about age discrimination come from? Did any of you people ever take a look at the Constitution or more importantly the Bill of Rights and its Amendments?

If you did, you'd discover, there is nothing in there that prohibits age discrimination. Call it unfair if you will, but according to the single most important document in the governing of the U.S., age discrimination is not against the law. Want to fight it? Fine. But until age gets added to race, color, and gender, Clarrett has no grounds whatsoever to make his case on. Literally an Amendment would have to be passed in order for his case to have any merit, then another case would be needed to decide if the NFL's rule is in fact age discrimination.

So, Clarrett might want to start looking into some arena leagues, or canadian football league. Its going to be a long time before he even could, let alone whether or not he will, force the NFL to allow him into the draft.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:20 pm

maddog60 wrote:Where did all this whining about age discrimination come from? Did any of you people ever take a look at the Constitution or more importantly the Bill of Rights and its Amendments?

If you did, you'd discover, there is nothing in there that prohibits age discrimination. Call it unfair if you will, but according to the single most important document in the governing of the U.S., age discrimination is not against the law. Want to fight it? Fine. But until age gets added to race, color, and gender, Clarrett has no grounds whatsoever to make his case on. Literally an Amendment would have to be passed in order for his case to have any merit, then another case would be needed to decide if the NFL's rule is in fact age discrimination.

So, Clarrett might want to start looking into some arena leagues, or canadian football league. Its going to be a long time before he even could, let alone whether or not he will, force the NFL to allow him into the draft.



It must have some merit to it. Writers have been writing for years (before Clarett) this rule is illegal. And everyone knew someone would eventually challenge it. Now that it's in the proper forums this will be looked at much more closely. To have a court case a day or two before the date of the draft is ridiculous. I'm not a law buff but there's gotta be something to it.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1599
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Up in Canada

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 22:28 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact