Should Mike Williams be allowed to return to USC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should Mike Williams be allowed to return to USC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should Mike Williams be allowed to return to USC?

Yes, he was misguided by the Clarett ruling and should be allowed to return to USC.
59%
No, he had his chance to stay at USC and dumped it for the money.
41%

Total votes : 27

Postby terpfan » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:04 pm

man you guys are harsh. i say its kind of stupid not to let him go back to college, but i guess rules are rules.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:27 pm

I voted yes, the guy is a tremendous athlete and it's crazy to ruin his education just because he thought he would be allowed to go pro. He should be allowed back into college, and he will be because USC would be more than happy to have him back.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:42 pm

Saying that he should be allowed back in is like saying you should get your dollar back if you play the lottery and don't win.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby JrcWy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:48 pm

VHawk15 wrote:I voted yes, the guy is a tremendous athlete and it's crazy to ruin his education just because he thought he would be allowed to go pro. He should be allowed back into college, and he will be because USC would be more than happy to have him back.

Yes, we should all be very worried about his education since that is why he would want to get back into USC. Without being allowed back into college to get his degree, Mike will never realize that his talents could be used to cure cancer instead of catching TD passes. Now my vote is to keep him out of college so that he doesn't forgo his pro career to become a dentist or an accountant.

(For anyone ignorant, drunk, or naive who can’t tell; the above was all sarcasm!!!)
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:59 pm

JrcWY wrote:
Yes, we should all be very worried about his education since that is why he would want to get back into USC. Without being allowed back into college to get his degree, Mike will never realize that his talents could be used to cure cancer instead of catching TD passes. Now my vote is to keep him out of college so that he doesn't forgo his pro career to become a dentist or an accountant.

In the NFL, the more education you have, the better because of the high injury risk.

I'm not sure why we are even discussing this because it's only a matter of time before USC lets Williams back in with open arms.

By the way, here's a nice article on this:

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGAVQMOC9TD.html

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JrcWy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:06 pm

VHawk15 wrote:I'm not sure why we are even discussing this because it's only a matter of time before USC lets Williams back in with open arms.

Of course USC will welcome him back with open arms. He is an NFL caliber player coming back to a championship team. BUT it is not up to USC. The rules put in the place by the NCAA rules committee block him from playing any sport for any Division I school. That is why he will be out in the cold unless the NCAA makes an exception, which it should not do.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:09 pm

He played by the rules the entire time, but the rules kept changing. It's obviously not a fair situation and in 10 months, Williams will either be in an NFL uniform or a USC jersey.

VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:14 pm

He knew damn well the risks involved when he opted to go pro. This possibility was very explicitly explained to him, and he chose to take the RISK.

To say you can take a risk, then when it doesn't pay off just say "nevermind, I wanna start over," is complete BS. If someone goes pro, signs and agent, and then goes undrafted, they don't get to go back in.

Just like if I play the lottery and don't win, I don't ask for my dollar back: Williams played the "draft lottery" and lost, he can't just start over and pretend it never happened.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:18 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Just like if I play the lottery and don't win, I don't ask for my dollar back: Williams played the "draft lottery" and lost, he can't just start over and pretend it never happened.

It's more like if everyone told me that if I bought a lottery ticket, I'd win. So I buy the lottery ticket and for some reason, don't win. It's simply unfair to the kid.

VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:21 pm

VHawk15 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:

It's more like if everyone told me that if I bought a lottery ticket, I'd win. So I buy the lottery ticket and for some reason, don't win. It's simply unfair to the kid.

No, it's not like that, because they also told him that he might NOT win. Pete Carroll said in an interview a while back that he explicitly told Mike Williams that this exact scenario could happen.

It's more like someone told you that if you bought a lottery ticket you'd PROBABLY win. If you lost, you still wouldn't get your money back, because you knew from the get-go that you COULD lose, as was EXPLICITLY explained to you, so you took the risk.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk