Should Mike Williams be allowed to return to USC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should Mike Williams be allowed to return to USC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should Mike Williams be allowed to return to USC?

Yes, he was misguided by the Clarett ruling and should be allowed to return to USC.
59%
No, he had his chance to stay at USC and dumped it for the money.
41%

Total votes : 27

Postby JrcWy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:29 pm

Vhawk, I can make you a great deal on a lottery ticket if you are interested....you will win ;-D

The point is that it was a risk, bottom line. And if we let Mike back in, why not let Ryan Leaf come back and serve his last year of college eligibility. In my opinion, only 1 of the following 2 things will happen:
1) Williams goes in a supplemental draft.
2) USC will have the best intermural football team ever.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Football Newbie » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:32 pm

someone explain to me the supplemental draft please? how does it work and how are salaries determined and such?
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:35 pm

JrcWY wrote:2) USC will have the best intermural football team ever.

Oh man, great idea. I wonder if I can convince him to transfer to Florida, the star receiver on the intramural team I play on tore his ACL. Mike Williams could probably fill in adequately ;-D
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Clarett/Williams

Postby mig28 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:47 pm

Football Newbie wrote:someone explain to me the supplemental draft please? how does it work and how are salaries determined and such?

According to USA Today Sports Weekly, the supplemental draft is:
"a catchall for any players who become draft-eligible after the regular April draft and before the start of the following season"

"determined using a weighted lottery similar to the NBA's"

"seven rounds and is conducted via e-mail or phone"

The article also states that teams do not have to pick any players, but for each player a team selects, it loses a pick in the same round in the regular draft the following year. I see nothing about salary, but the article does point out that "by hiring agents, they lose their college eligibility" and that they could "petition the NCAA for reinstatement, citing unusual circumstances".
Finally, the article lists players of note who were supplemental picks; among them, Rob Moore, Brian Bosworth, Bernie Kosar, and Cris Carter.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:34 am

This should be a simple yes or no. Don't lead the voters with all the extra information in the poll. They can explain their decision in the posts.

:-)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mig28 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:37 am

KingGhidra wrote:This should be a simple yes or no. Don't lead the voters with all the extra information in the poll. They can explain their decision in the posts.

I hope this was not directed at me.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:14 pm

The NCAA should allow Williams to be eligible. If the pompous fat cats that mis-manage the NCAA still claim to be trying to protect the student-athlete then what is there justification for not allowing them back. The courts said he could go into the draft, and unlike a lottery, he was a sure fire first rounder and millionaire. Now given going to school and risking your career with an injury or going pro and getting paid big time, which would be the smarter decision? So the NCAA is punishing Williams for making the smarter choice, since he can always go back to school and then find a cure for cancer after his ball playing days are done.
The fact is the NCAA is all about themselves and trying to bully athletes into staying in school for as long as possible so they can be exploited. What I find ironic is that in keeping Williams out, they can no longer cash in on his marketability. Now how smart does that make the NCAA?
Most likely the courts will reverse before the draft or Williams will go into the supplemental draft. If not he should sue the NFL and the NCAA for loss of revenue and/or potential revenue. Get yourheads out fo your donkeys you stuffed shirts on both sides. If the kids are alright, let 'em play ball.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Buckychudd » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:27 pm

JrcWY wrote:Yes, we should all be very worried about his education since that is why he would want to get back into USC. Without being allowed back into college to get his degree, Mike will never realize that his talents could be used to cure cancer instead of catching TD passes. Now my vote is to keep him out of college so that he doesn't forgo his pro career to become a dentist or an accountant.

(For anyone ignorant, drunk, or naive who can’t tell; the above was all sarcasm!!!)

I don't agree with you, but I found this hilarious. :-b
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Manning 4 President » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:08 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Saying that he should be allowed back in is like saying you should get your dollar back if you play the lottery and don't win.

I feel you!
Manning 4 President
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Manning 4 President » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:14 pm

mig28 wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:This should be a simple yes or no. Don't lead the voters with all the extra information in the poll. They can explain their decision in the posts.

I hope this was not directed at me.

It was targeted for ME! Sorry if I made you angry in any way, shape or form, I just wanted it to be complete and clear, King...
Manning 4 President
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk