Archie Manning doesn't want SD to draft Eli - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Archie Manning doesn't want SD to draft Eli

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:34 am

maddog60 wrote:Can you really blame his father for doing this? Archie Manning spent his career on a pathetic team as I understand, and it makes sense that he doesn't want his sons to be locked up as franchise players for perennial losers. He wants them to have a shot at a Superbowl ring, and as much as NYG is looking like the bottom rung of the NFC East at this point, they at least have more than 1 good player on their team.

Actually, I think this makes things relatively simple for the Chargers. It doesn't make sense to take a franchise QB who doesn't want to play for you, and if NYG plays hardball in trade negotiations for the #1 pick, the Chargers can always take Gallery with a good reason why they didn't draft a guy who will boost ticket sales. Let's face it, most casual fans won't understand why a team would draft Gallery so high, but every team knows he's one of the best, if not the best overall player in the draft.

I agree, this could give SD an out of not having to draft Eli. The reality is, if SD wants to get better they need to trade down. The best case scenario for them in my opinion would be to trade down w/ the Giants who would take Eli and give up Hilliard and their 2nd rd pick, and HOPE that Gallery falls to #4 somehow. At that point i say they draft him, but a lot of people would suspect they would trade down to the browns for a swap in spots, the browns 2nd rd pick and Northcutt.

I would prefer them to get Hilliard and the giants 2nd rd pick, draft Gallery at #4, and then use that extra 2nd round pick to try and trade for Ramsey since the Skins have like 2 picks in the whole draft or try and get Couch (either in a trade or if he is cut). But that is a lot of 'if's' and the biggest one is if Gallery would be there at #4.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelyeri » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:53 am

Archie is an idiot. most people have respect for the game and wouldn't dream of doing something as stiupid as this. I hear most people say that it's a dream just to be drafted. I guess that's not good enough for the royal family of footbal, yuck! Take Gallery for example, when asked who he would like to play for he said "whoever has the first pick." As for eli, i hope he gets drafted by the giants and they suck for all eternity. or atleast untill he retires.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby proKrastinate » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:06 am

i know this totally sucks. but this is what it has come to in the nfl. People know that if they just screw around and not play, hold out, give everyone on the team a hard time, then it really costs the team that drafted//traded for them. they can sulk and go public with thier cries etc until they get their way. its pathetic but that is what its come to. and its going to get worse before//if it gets better. i expect to see this a lot more as players manipulate their way to the teams they want.

i mean think about it, would you really want some guy that is going to create a bad aura in the locker room and give half ass on the field?

what they ought to do is place causes in the contract that state if you intentionally create a bad vibe for the team, continuously show up late etc or do whatever that hurts the team in anyway, then you owe us % of your contract back and we get to trade you to who ever we want.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:31 am

steelyeri wrote:Archie is an idiot.

Why? For caring about his sons' future's? Any father worth the title would wish for his son to have a better life than he did, to have more success, more happiness, etc. Its not like the Chargers can't just draft Eli anyways, but Archie is trying to insure his son has a better career, a more successful and fullfilling career than he did. That's not idiotic, its being a parent.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:42 am

I personally don't see what the big deal is about Eli going to the Chargers. The Chargers have the number one pick, that means they were bad last year. In 1997 the Colts were terrible also. They took Peyton Manning with the second overall pick. They had some talent on the team and took the franchise QB. Now look where they are. They were one game from the Super Bowl last year and have a good chance at it next year also. Peyton is just hitting the prime of his career and the Colts are a very good team. The Chargers could easily be the same way. Personally, I think the Chargers are on the way up. I think the Giant's are headed for rebuilding years. The Chargers can't go down any farther. They have some young, talented players that could be stars a few years down the road. Peyton went number two in the 98 draft...right after Ryan Leaf. Do you really think the Chargers are gonna pass on another Manning to see him flourish elsewhere? My point is, do you think Archie was very excited about Peyton going to the Colts? Probably not, he needs to realize that being a ton NFL prospect you will 9 times out of 10 go to a terrible team. The INdianapolis Colts went 3-13 in the year 1997. The Chargers were 4-12 last year.

Also, Eli never said he doesn't want to play for the Chargers, Archie said he doesn't want Eli to play for the Chargers. Eli will play his heart out for whatever team he plays for I'm sure. If the Chargers doubt that, they don't take him but they've had interviews with him I'm sure.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby steelyeri » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:46 am

maddog60 wrote:
steelyeri wrote:Archie is an idiot.

Why? For caring about his sons' future's? Any father worth the title would wish for his son to have a better life than he did, to have more success, more happiness, etc. Its not like the Chargers can't just draft Eli anyways, but Archie is trying to insure his son has a better career, a more successful and fullfilling career than he did. That's not idiotic, its being a parent.

yeah right! poor little eli if he gets drafted by the chargers. his future would be doomed. He'll probably get a 10 - 15 million dollar signing bonus right off the bat. He'll be set fo life financially before he even takes a freakin snap. he'll get to earn his money playing (yeah that's right PLAYING!) the best game in the world. He will get to live in one of the most beautifull cities in the world, which has probably the best climate in the country. And you still think he has a right to complain because the team is struggling right now? can you say elitist? another thing, If everyone got to pick and choose which team they get drafted to, doesn't that eliminate the whole point of the draft? the worst teams are supposed to get the best players (which i don't think eli is anyhow) to help them be more competetive. Archie of all people should know this. so don't give me any of that parenting crap. any father would just be happy his son is going to play in the NFL.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Sandwich » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:48 am

Apparently Archie was hoping that this would be a private conversation with the Chargers. I hate this cloak and dagger *&^%>. If I were the Chargers, I would draft someone else #1 thereby costing Manning millions for not being the #1 pick.

I used to think Archie and the Manning family ws a class act. This puts him down a peg in my mind.
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mannubhai » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:55 am

I think it is ridiculous that a college punk's father does not want to go to a particular team.

If I were San Diego, I would pick Gallery with the first pick. Oakland would then pick Manning, which is a team going down too with a bunch of old farts. A good lesson for the Manning's.

I also doubt if Manning is the best QB prospect in this draft.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:19 pm

steelyeri wrote:yeah right! poor little eli if he gets drafted by the chargers. his future would be doomed. He'll probably get a 10 - 15 million dollar signing bonus right off the bat. He'll be set fo life financially before he even takes a freakin snap. he'll get to earn his money playing (yeah that's right PLAYING!) the best game in the world. He will get to live in one of the most beautifull cities in the world, which has probably the best climate in the country. And you still think he has a right to complain because the team is struggling right now? can you say elitist? another thing, If everyone got to pick and choose which team they get drafted to, doesn't that eliminate the whole point of the draft? the worst teams are supposed to get the best players (which i don't think eli is anyhow) to help them be more competetive. Archie of all people should know this. so don't give me any of that parenting crap. any father would just be happy his son is going to play in the NFL.

And yet none of that supports your claim that Archie Manning is an idiot. Switching from calling him an idiot to an elitist is just avoiding the issue, not actually backing up your position. Whether Archie Manning is being elitist or arrogant is a whole other issue. However, logically it is not idiotic to try and for Archie use whatever influence he has to try and make what is already a good situation for his son, even better.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:22 pm

I wonder about drafting a QB, the leader of my team, who doesn't have the balls to say "I won't play for the Chargers" like Elway did. Or that won't say "Shut the F@# up Dad". Eli's is the oen who has to play Arch, so let him speak.
Also I would have loved to have replied to Archie by asking him " Yeah Okay, he doesn't want to play for SD, but can you tell me why Peyton is over there tea-bagging that female reporter?
Wouldn't a little parental guidence have come in handy there, Arch?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk