Archie Manning doesn't want SD to draft Eli - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Archie Manning doesn't want SD to draft Eli

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Homeless » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:22 pm

Apparently Archie doesnt want his #2 son getting stuck with a bad team the way Archie once did.

Well Arch, how is a team supposed to improve?

Do us all a favor and clam it :-t
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby JrcWy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:06 pm

Hold up! This thread is full of irrelevant junk right now. Lets bring a little clarity to the situation.

First of all, Eli has not said anything about not wanting to play in SD. When he does, we actually have a topic with substance.

Second of all, don't confuse good players with good people. Payton Manning is no poster boy and neither is his father. Apparently, football lessons were put ahead of morality and respect in the Manning household(speaking of his sexual harassment charges).

Finally, where Eli goes is up to one person right now. And that person sits in the office of the San Diego Chargers. SD is in control and daddy, our forum, and anyone else with a big head has no say in the matter until San Diego makes its decision.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jjdub » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:41 pm

I have been hoping that Manning could be a part of an upswing for the chargers in the coming years but all along knowing that Gallery would be a much smarter pick... This crap about Sr. Manning not wanting Eli to play for SD is helping me side with my brain over my hopes...
jjdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:50 pm

According to Mort on PTI, Eli himself doesn't want to go to the Chargers. He said he has a good source that says Eli is willing to sit out the season rather than play in SD...

Things may have changed with our viewpoints!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:59 am

The Sandwich wrote:Apparently Archie was hoping that this would be a private conversation with the Chargers.

Yeah that's totally the scenario. If anyone caught Archie's interview on NFL Live today you could tell his demeanor screamed "Good Lord what did I get us into??"

I don't believe he's a pushy arrogant sob. I do think he probably wanted to let the San Diego GM know that if he didn't take Manning it would be all gravy with them. But then things got blown out of proportion and then the story leaked.

Ahh hell who cares. Nobody will remember this in 5 or 6 seasons anyhow.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:55 am

Does anyone out there remember Eric Lindros.

His family put up a big stink as well. He got sent to the the Flyers for a boat load of players. Those players ended up winning the cup for the Avalanche a few years later, Forsberg is one of the top three players in the NHL and Lindros' career may be over.

If the Giants are offering a first, a second and Ike - I say take it and let the Giants suffer with the brat.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CinemaFreak » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:46 am

JrcWY wrote:First of all, Eli has not said anything about not wanting to play in SD. When he does, we actually have a topic with substance.

This, IMO, is the problem. He has said nothing. If he has a problem with playing for the Charges then be man and say it. If not then stand up and say it. I had respect for this kid at one point, now, even if Dallas had the #1 pick and needed a QB, I would not take him.

I hope the Charges pick the Gaints clean and take Rivers or Big Ben!
CinemaFreak Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CinemaFreak » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:06 am

SPORTSLINE:
There is no classier football family than the Manning family. The kids were raised right and father, Archie, is a class act all the way. That said, we don't agree with his getting involved in the draft situation of son Eli. Archie told the Chargers that he didn't want them drafting his son with the first overall pick. Archie knows what it's like to play quarterback for a bad team since he lived it with the Saints and he's probably just protecting his son. But how many other dads would have their voice heard at all? And can't Eli speak for himself? From now on, no matter what Eli does, he will always be open to ribbing in the cruel environment of the locker room. "Hey, Eli, want to go out tonight? Or do you have to call and ask your dad first?" Said one veteran player: "He's going to get it good." It appears that Manning is on his way to New York, but this going public doesn't bode well for him. It's one thing for a father to want the best for his kid, and we know Archie does because he cares, but this went too far -- even if Eli and agent Tom Condon were the ones making the decision. Archie shouldn't have been the messenger. It doesn't look good. Now Eli has a reputation as a high-maintenance kid, but he's just like his brother, Peyton: As easy-going and down to earth as anybody you'd meet in your high school gym class. They are the guys you'd belly up and have a beer with just to sit and talk football.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7275664
CinemaFreak Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:19 am

Argos wrote:Does anyone out there remember Eric Lindros.

The Crazy 8's, Hextall the scoringest goalie of all time, Dejardins, Podien, Brindamor... no I have no recollection whatsoever.

Seriously Lindros probably would've went on to have one of the best careers in the NFL if he hadn't been so hyped up. He spent most of his first 2 seasons off the rink because every team went their dirtiest defensiveman to gun for him, and take him out of the game. He was really feared as a rookie. Scott Stevens can probably claim himself to be the primary cause of Lindros's concussion problem. It wasn't until after 2 years of abuse Lindros bulked up so much that anyone who cheap shotted him got the snot beat out of him, that Lindros was able to complete a full season.

But my apologies, I'm being nostalgic, and on the wrong sport. Something about the Flyer beating the Devils in the playoffs has me acting all wierd (considering their odds were about that of Pinkston going an entire game without a dropped pass).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slowkidz » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:25 am

Remember what happened the last time a Dad spoke up for his son...

Everyone in TB were cheering and happy that Garcia was coming to town. Dad was in every major newspaper/sports show telling all who would listen that his baby boy wanted nothing more than to play for Gruden. Then two days later he signed with Cleveland.

Moral: When dads start talking for their kids, nothing good can happen from it...Unless you're the Cleveland Browns. ;-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Previous

Return to Football Talk