Dr. Z's Mock Draft - Ravens drafting RB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dr. Z's Mock Draft - Ravens drafting RB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dr. Z's Mock Draft - Ravens drafting RB?

Postby MCG321 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:56 pm

Though I didn't get my issue yet, someone told me that in the latest SI, Dr. Z has the Ravens trading up to get Jackson. If Dr. Z knows somethin we don't, is Jamal Lewis' legal situation a LOT more serious than we originally thought?
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:23 am

How in the?!?

The Ravens have nothing to bargain with to trade up to #16. How would they even get high enough to draft Jackson.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mannubhai » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:52 am

Dr. Z is crazy if he thinks Ravens are after a RB. Musa Smith is a talented backup back.If I were to bet, I would bet my money on Ravens picking a WR in the first round if they strike a deal.

If the trade does not occur, Ravens will still be looking for a WR first in the second draft.

Ravens draft policy : to get the best player available regardless of position is a good policy.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DUKE » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:57 am

A least one time or another, I think I've heard like 70 % of the league rumored to be "interested" in trying to get Stephen Jackson. I wouldn't worry about it.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby kashikis » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:56 am

lol, I think your right duke

I wouldn't think they would go for a RB this year between Taylor and Smith they should be ok. I would think they would go WR first then a lineman O or D.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:48 pm

Dr. Z is an idiot. Don't worry about it.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:53 pm

No love for Dr. Z? Man it's not even confirm that thats what his rankings say. I would be interested to see how he thinks the Ravens will be able to move up that high. And it's true the whole league has had interest in Jackson at some point or another....The first few mocks I looked at way back in the day had him in the top 12. But I hope he tumbles all the way down to 22... :-D
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby terpfan » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:53 pm

heres the whole mock...
San Diego Chargers
ELI MANNING, QB, Mississippi
There will be trade talk right up to the announcement of the selection, as the Giants try to move up to get this talented gunslinger.
2 Oakland Raiders
ROBERT GALLERY T, Iowa
They need a downfield wideout, such as Roy Williams of Texas, but Gallery is the kind of lineman who comes along once in a decade.
3 Arizona Cardinals
LARRY FITZGERALD, WR, Pittsburgh
New coach Dennis Green says he's happy with young QB Josh McCown, so Arizona goes with the receiver who has the best hands.
4 New York Giants
SEAN TAYLOR, FS, Miami
This is awfully high for a safety to be taken, but Taylor is the type of player -- a hard hitter with speed -- who can light up a defense.
5 Washington Redskins
KELLEN WINSLOW JR., TE, Miami
He's not as big as his Hall of Fame dad was coming out of college, but he's faster and nastier. Joe Gibbs likes to collect tight ends.
6 Detroit Lions
ROY WILLIAMS, WR Texas
They wanted one of these three playmakers: Williams, Winslow or Fitzgerald. The speedy Williams means instant touchdowns.
7 Cleveland Browns
BEN ROETHLISBERGER, QB, Miami (Ohio)
Sure, they signed former 49er Jeff Garcia, but the plan is to let Big Ben learn the trade for a couple of years and then take over.
8 Atlanta Falcons
DEANGELO HALL, CB, Virginia Tech
Upon his arrival new coach Jim Mora Jr. found a depleted secondary. Hall, who's also a skilled return man, should help.
9 Jacksonville Jaguars
KENECHI UDEZE, DE, USC
Though their interior line is set, they need an outside rush. Udeze, a relentless pursuer, is thought to be the best wing man in the draft.
10 Houston Texans
TOMMIE HARRIS, DT, Oklahoma
Gary Walker and Seth Payne were hurt last season, and Houston's defense struggled. Harris will have an instant impact.
11 Pittsburgh Steelers
PHILIP RIVERS, QB, North Carolina State
They were ready to trade up for this deadly accurate passer (72% as a senior), but gambled that he would still be available here.
12 New York Jets
DUNTA ROBINSON, CB, South Carolina
Miami LBs Jonathan Vilma and D.J. Williams are possibilities, but Robinson, a hard-to-find shutdown corner, tops the team's wish list.
13 Buffalo Bills
VINCE WILFORK, DT, Miami
This quick 344-pounder wins at the wire over WR Michael Clayton on the theory that it's easier to find wideouts later in the draft.
14 Chicago Bears
WILL SMITH, DE, Ohio State
You don't often get the second-best outside rusher this deep in the draft. Some think the 6'3" 267-pounder is even faster than Udeze.
15 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
LEE EVANS, WR, Wisconsin
The one element missing from coach Jon Gruden's offense is a swift receiver. How does a game-breaker with 4.40 speed sound?
16 San Francisco 49ers
REGGIE WILLIAMS, WR, Washington
Coach Dennis Erickson is pushing for RB Steven Jackson, but the front office wants help for a receiving corps that lost both starters.
17 Denver Broncos
KEVIN JONES, RB, Virginia Tech
Mike Shanahan traded up hoping this quick 221-pounder would be there. Jones will remove some of the sting from the Clinton Portis deal.
18 New Orleans Saints
D.J. WILLIAMS, LB, Miami
A 250-pounder with 4.55 speed, Williams flies to the ball. That's the kind of speed that Jim Haslett wants to inject into his defense.
19 Minnesota Vikings
JONATHAN VILMA, LB, Miami
He's still here? Grab him. This tackling machine comes from the same school that produced Ray Lewis, Mike Barrow and many more.
20 Miami Dolphins
MICHAEL CLAYTON, WR, LSU
Wideout is not a need position, but this possession wideout would be a nice complement to Chris Chambers and David Boston.
21 Baltimore Ravens
STEVEN JACKSON, RB, Oregon State
They get this pick back from the Pats, then take this slashing 233-pounder as insurance for Jamal Lewis, who is facing drug charges.
22 Dallas Cowboys
SHAWN ANDREWS, T, Arkansas
They've mentioned Michigan RB Chris Perry, so we know who it won't be. With Larry Allen on the decline, Andrews would be ideal.
23 Seattle Seahawks
MICHAEL JENKINS, WR, Ohio State
They could go for defense, but Jenkins, another of those size-speed (6'4", 218 and 4.38) wonder kids, is too inviting to pass up.
24 Cincinnati Bengals
CHRIS PERRY, RB, Michigan
Having shipped Corey Dillon to New England, Cincinnati snaps up the third-highest-rated running back in the draft.
25 Green Bay Packers
BEN TROUPE, TE, Florida
He's not a burner, but he's quick and explosive, and the Pack would like another big guy (6'5", 262) to team with Bubba Franks.
26 St. Louis Rams
BEN WATSON, TE, Georgia
Brandon Manumaleuna is a minimal receiving threat. Enter Watson, who wowed 'em with a 4.50 40 and 34 reps on the bench press.
27 Tennessee Titans
MARCUS TUBBS, DT, Texas
Rated the third-best player in the draft at his position, this sturdy 324-pounder makes up for the loss of Robaire Smith to free agency.
28 Philadelphia Eagles
CHRIS GAMBLE, CB, Ohio State
With both starting cornerbacks gone, Philadelphia goes for a player who can cover but whose tackling isn't NFL quality.
29 Indianapolis Colts
RICARDO COLCLOUGH, CB, Tusculum
They have to find help on defense, so coach Tony Dungy leans toward this corner with exceptional coverage skills from a Division II school.
30 Kansas City Chiefs
TANK JOHNSON, DT, Washington
This lightning-fast finesse rusher beats out the muscle guys: Isaac Sopoaga of Hawaii and Junior Siavii and Igor Olshansky of Oregon.
31 Carolina Panthers
RASHAUN WOODS, WR, Oklahoma State
He's insurance, in case Muhsin Muhammad becomes a salary-cap casualty. Woods is a big guy (6'2", 202) who fights for every ball.
32 New England Patriots
VERNON CAREY, G-T, Miami
They love rookies who can play two positions, and the 6'5", 363-pound Carey is a perfect swingman.

ive got a few more problems with that draft other than jackson. tank johnson over starks and dockett??? :-°

anyway... i hate dr. z for more reasons than his crappy mock draft. hes a proffessional redskins hater and doesnt even try to hide it. that and he's a pompous ass.

check this out...
Well, Winslow told Detroit GM Matt Millen that Joe Gibbs told him that if he were there, he'd be the Skins' selection. So why was Washington trying to trade up for the Raiders spot? Not for Winslow. Something funny's going on here. Other people's mock drafts (no, I'm not unwilling to use the expression for the competition) have given the Skins Taylor. I don't think Gibbs will go defense, but I'm not sure, since he didn't return my phone call, one of three clubs that stiffed me, which is not surprising since I can't remember the last time I said a nice thing about the Redskins.

he just comes off as such a tool. i wouldnt return your "call" either jerk. why would teams be just handing out info on who they are going to draft. theres no way they would hang themselves out to dry like that.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Dr. Z is a dumba$$ i dont respect him at all, first of all I dont even think the ravens have a pick in the first round which means they would have to give up an arm and a leg to get a pick that high and number two like someone said WR has to be their first priority and Im thinkin if they could get into the first stanza they would go for Reggie Williams ....

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby NFLknowitall » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:24 am

That Mock scares the hell out of me! The Begals with their new uniforms better not draft a RB in the first round. I have Rudi as a keeper and that would suck. They have other needs on the D-Line, LB and DB's. Not at RB. That Dr. Z is crazy.

Is he really a Dr.

I should "first" name my next kid "Doctor".

Everyone would say "Hey, Doctor" and people would say "Are you really a Doctor", he'd reply "That is what they call me".

.... what am I talking about? aguuuh, nevermind.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk