Manning to Giants becoming more likely - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Manning to Giants becoming more likely

Moderator: Football Moderators

Manning to Giants becoming more likely

Postby Flux » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:37 pm

You cant copy from ESPN Insider but they are saying that the Giants basically have a deal done w/ SD that includes the #4 pick, their 2nd rd pick and either Ike Hilliard or their 2nd rounder in 2005. They also said that they expect Manning to be signed by the end of the day on Friday.

They also reported that if Gallery is still there at #4, SD is going to take him, but if he is not they will either try and trade down a couple spots and get Rivers, or think about taking Roy Williams.

If they get Gallery, Insider reports they will go after Losman in the 2nd rd and a WR/DT (depending if they aquire Hilliard)

If SD gets Gallery at #4, this is by far the best thing they can do to improve their team. But, they have to hope OAK doesnt draft him or trade their pick w/ CLE
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:56 pm

That seems like a lot to give up to move up three spots - although it is the top pick. Losing Hilliard would deplete their receiving corps a bit. I know that Tyree guy looked OK when the Giants could actually throw the ball, but still Hilliard is a good player. They must really want a new QB in town, and with Archie trying to pull a Richard Williams the Chargers must be going crazy right now.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Sandwich » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:09 pm

Wow, that is a boat load of crap to give up for 3 spots in the draft.If the chargers pass up that deal they are dumber then I thought. If they pick up Gallery and Hilliard they are in better shape right away. I have LT and Gallery would be awesome for him. Don't forget that Hilliard is a former 1st Rder.
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:28 pm

It may seem like a lot, but the Giants want either Eli or Gallery and there is no guarantee at all that Gallery would be there at #4.

If you look at the Points Value Chart, the #1 pick is worth 3000 pts, the #4 pick is worth 1800. Thats 1200 more pts to make up for you non-math majors :-b

The 2nd pick in the 2nd rd is worth 560 pts. The Giants 2005 2nd rd pick most likely will be worth less (since there is little room to allow it to be more), so if its a deal involving only draft picks, the Giants come out on top. If Ike is thrown in instead of the 2005 pick, the deal is pretty even.

The Chargers really need to get this done, and I hope for their teams sake Gallery will be there at #4.

On a side note, it was also reported on Insider that Mannings agent negotiated contracts w/ both the Giants and SD, and made Mannings value a couple million more for SD than he did for NYG with the thought that he could easily make up the difference in money with endorsements by being in such a marketable city.

To that, i say, bite me
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Manning to Giants becoming more likely

Postby TTTBone » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:06 pm

Flux wrote:You cant copy from ESPN Insider...

Sure you can, just copy text and paste...
San Diego will target Gallery at No. 4

By Scouts, Inc.
For ESPN Insider
Thursday, April 22
Updated: April 22
11:24 AM ET

The news regarding Archie Manning's preference that his son, top-rated QB prospect Eli Manning, not play for the San Diego Chargers is now very much public knowledge. What's not, however, is that a deal between the Chargers and Giants is in the works.

From what we've been told, the Chargers will have a deal done by Friday that will allow them to move from the No. 1 overall pick to the fourth overall pick in exchange for the Giants' second-round pick (No. 34) this year and either a second-round pick in the 2005 draft or WR Ike Hilliard.

Our sources tell us Eli Manning's agent, Tom Condon of IMG, was much more of a factor in this deal than people think. Condon apparently had two separate asking prices, one for the Chargers and another for the Giants. In order to please the Mannings, Condon's asking price was several million higher for the Chargers than it was the Giants. While Condon obviously was trying force the Chargers into trading out of the pick, he also figured Manning could more than make up the difference with marketing and endorsement opportunities he'll get in New York that he wouldn't get in San Diego.

We expect the Giants to have a contract completed with Manning by the end of the day on Friday, which essentially means that when we wake up Saturday morning, the Raiders will be on the clock with the No. 2 pick.

Also, from what we've been told, the Chargers' target at No. 4 will be Iowa OT Robert Gallery, if he gets past the No. 2 spot, currently held by the Raiders. However, there's a decent chance the Raiders either will take Gallery themselves or trade the pick to the Browns, who will be moving up from No. 7 to take Gallery.

If Gallery is there at four though, San Diego will take him, no question. If Gallery is gone, the Chargers will look at N.C. State QB Philip Rivers, whom they love and would take over Miami of Ohio's Ben Roethlisberger. But they also know No. 4 is a little too high for Rivers, so they'll also discuss the possibility of takingRoy Williams there instead.

San Diego also will listen to offers to continue trading back, but the phone may not be ringing as much as people think. If you're looking for a wild-card team to trade up to the fourth spot, look at Jacksonville, which would want Williams there. The Chargers would drop down to No. 9 and still be able to get Rivers.

If the Chargers wind up with Gallery, they still will have two-second round picks -- Nos. 34 and 35 -- to possibly draft Tulane QB J.P. Losman and either a wide receiver, such as Oklahoma State's Rashaun Woods (if they don't get Hilliard in the deal), or a top defensive lineman.

However, if the Chargers wind up with Rivers, they get their franchise quarterback for less money and add either Hilliard and this year's 35th pick or this year's 35th pick and the Giant's second round pick in '05.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby TTTBone » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:11 pm

Anyhow, good deal for the Chargers. It doesn't seem Eli (or his dad) wants him to play for San Diego, and the Chargers are probably a little gun-shy after the Ryan Leaf debacle. This would be a very good move IMO.
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:21 pm

It honestly wont let me highlight/select the text.

What browser are you using or what is your secret?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby TTTBone » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:22 pm

Flux wrote:It honestly wont let me highlight/select the text.

What browser are you using or what is your secret?

Wow, you're right, just tried it in Internet Explorer, and I couldn't highlight or select either. :-o Frickin' Microsoft! :-t
I use Opera as my default browser, works fine there, and I like it a hell of a lot better than Explorer. Faster, more convenient. More info... PM me.
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

http://www.opera.com/

Postby The Lung » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:56 pm

The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:16 pm

I pray Roy Williams does not go to Sand Diego, that would absolutely kill me to have to see the best receiver in this draft have to deal with the man who cant even throw more than 30 yds downfield... If he couldnt get Boston the ball how is he gonna get it to Ro'???

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk