Steven Jackson to Dallas - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steven Jackson to Dallas

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Poobah » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:20 am

Canacuna wrote:I've read that the Cowboys really like Chris Perry and want to take him in the second round, focusing elsewhere in the first.

...It doesn't make sense to me...

No way Perry is available in the latter part of Round 2. Espn.com did their mock this week, and according to them Jackson and Jones were both gone before pick #22, and they had Dallas taking Perry there. A bit of a reach, maybe they can be the rumored trading partner with New England to get down to #32, and take Perry there, if Kevin Jones is gone. If Jones is there, take him they will, I hope (yes, that does sound a little like Yoda, because Jerry Jones is starting to look like him in my mind)
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:34 am

I would think NFL coaches love RBBC. Having multiple backs that can do what you want of the running game gives you security (should that one RB get injured it's not as big a deal if say LT goes down), it keeps your backs more fresh (less carries & more breaks), and can really screw with defenses if you put 2 of the involved RBs in the backfield at the same time.

That being said, Detroit is currently a RB wasteland, and if they drafted Jackson, RBBC preference or not, Jackson would likely win the featured roled with that weak competition. Luckily for Dallas, Detroit is too high in the draft to take Jackson and with either Taylor or Winslow available to them at that point, they're not likely to trade down.

Denver worries me if they take Jackson though. With the signing of Hearst, and presence of Griffin, its too hard to predict how much Jackson would be utilized.

I saw mock drafts having the Bucs draft a RB. I'm not sold on that idea. They acquired Jamel White and Charlie Garner. Neither are long term fixes, but they do bolster the RB roster. However, they lost Sapp and Lynch, and don't have guys to replace them even temporarily. Finding replacements for lost starters seems crucial to me, plus Chucky has to prove he didn't just inherit the great Def. that Dungy built.

So, to me it seems very likely Dallas will get Kevin Jones. With Pats now out of the running, Denver seems the only likely choice to draft a RB ahead of them. Even if they had to take Chris Perry 1st round, they need a RB desperately.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CinemaFreak » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:39 am

I have even seen rumors that Dallas will take a RB in the second round, say the likes of Julius Jones. Not sure I agree with that. If Kevin Jones is there they will take him, if not and Perry is there they will try to trade back and take him later.
CinemaFreak Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:13 am

Dallas will not take Perry 1st round unless they trade way back. I have him going to Detroit 2nd round. That is about where I've seen everyone say he should and will go.

Dallas isn't looking at DLine from what I've read either. It's going to be either a RB or and OLineman because of the Allen situation. Vernon Carey, Justin Smiley, or Shawn Andrews (if he drops) are all possibilities. There's an outside chance of them taking a corner to compliment T. Newman but that probably won't happen until the third round.

That said, if Detroit takes Sean Taylor with their first round pick, what team in front of Dallas will take Jackson? There are a few candidates but none need a RB as bad as the Boys.
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:30 am

Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay could all take Stephen Jackson before Dallas can.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:35 am

I personally think Denver is more likely to choose him than Pittsburgh. Hopefully Detroit will take Taylor or Winslow, Tampa a WR like Evans and Denver somebody else. ;-7
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:28 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay could all take Stephen Jackson before Dallas can.

They all could, but I dont think it's likely.

Pitt has Duce, who should be at least a 2-3 year fix at RB. They have much more pressing needs such as QB and CB to worry about RB in the first round. I could see them drafting Tatum Bell or Greg Jones in the 2nd.

Tampa acquired White and Garner. Neither seems a long term solution, but they also have other weaknesses without even a short term solution I think they're more likely to look at.

Detroit is the wild card. However, could they really pass on either Winslow or Taylor to take yet another RB?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:10 pm

I don't see many teams ahead of Dallas taking a shot at a 1st round RB. I think the best chance is Detroit trading down a bit and getting Jackson. As for the others:

Pitt: Like has been said, they need a QB or a CB much worse. I've heard they love Rivers and he could very well drop to them. A CB would also be able to step in now and I don't think they'd use a 1st rounder on a RB to come in in 2-3 years when their biggest FA signing was a RB.

Bucs: Similar situation, they brought in 2 FA RB's, and have tons of holes. With that many holes, why would they spend nearly all their FA money AND their #1 draft pick on RB's? Usually, when teams draft RB's to come in down the line, it's in the 3rd round. 1st round RB's are expected to step in immediately, and that isn't consistent with the signing of Garner.

Denver: I don't know why everyone thinks they definitely traded up to leapfrog NE/Dallas for a RB. They've been much worse off at RB before, and waited until later rounds to draft them. I don't see why no one has picked up on the fact that they haven't been able to resign Ian Gold at OLB, and they've jumped ahead of teams like Minnesota that might take a LB like DJ Williams out from under them...My guess would be that Denver goes LB with their 1st rounder.

Lastly, Dallas probably won't go D-line 1st round. Again, they brought in Wiley, and already have Ellis and two good D-tackles. So what they're looking for is a situational pass rusher or DT depth, not an every down guy, so they can pick this up in later rounds. If they go for something other than a RB in the 1st round, which I feel they could very well do, it will be a CB or O-lineman. They have no decent #2 corner right now, and this draft is pretty deep at the spot, and if Chris Gamble fell to them they might take a shot on him. They're also sturggling on the O-line, and hence could take Vernon Carey. Basically, if they don't go RB, I'd be very surprised if the reason wasn't either Gamble or Carey...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:43 pm

Well I wouldn't mind if Dallas took Andrews with the 22nd pick if Jackson and Kevin Jones are off the board. Gamble wouldn't be that disappointing either. They are need positions so it's never a bad idea to do that. Greg Jones and Chris Perry could be available second round. Maybe they will move up in the second to grab one of them.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk