A true American hero... Very sad.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A true American hero... Very sad....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Just saw on the ESPN News crawler that the Cardinals are going to retire his number 40...very fitting gesture! ;-D
Last edited by Mercer Boy on Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:25 am

TTTBone wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:... the only unsponsered stadium name in I think all of pro sports.

Ummm... just football I'm thinking:
Giants Stadium (Meadowlands)
Lambeau Field
Arrowhead Stadium
Raymond James Stadium
Ralph Williams Stadium
Sun Devil Stadium
An incomplete list of what I can think of for now in just the NFL, but I know there are many others.
Think before you post.

Raymond James is a sponsor, bud.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:42 am

Azrael wrote:Pat Tillman is a person unlike any other I have known or heard of. And when I say this I'm not trying to downplay any of the other people who have ever served and survived or lost their lives for this country and all it stands for.

But how many people who have served, perished or not, would have done what he did given his situation? How many of those people or anyone else (I know I wouldn't have) yourself or anyone you know would have VOLUNTEERED to give up a life of luxury, fun, and fame to put yourself in a position of submissive, disciplinary duty where you could lose your life at any given time?

I don't know one. Apparently, out of all the types of people in his position, be it football, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, hockey, etc., he was THE ONLY ONE to give all that up to serve his country.

A hero beyond heroes is what Pat Tillman is. His sense of urgency, nobility, honor, responsibility, and duty are all unmatched and unquestioned.

Surely, only the good die young.

I also remember Rocky Bleier doing that. Just thought I'd add that.

Well put.

Pat Tillman = ;-D
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby MCG321 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:58 am

Just heard on Sportscenter that the Cards are naming a plaza outside the stadium Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza, retiring his number, and Arizona State is doing something, as well.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize info about his number was already posted.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Str8 Pimpin-Vikings » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:42 am

NFLknowitall wrote:My prayers go to his Family and Friends. He was a great man and gave his life for what he believed in. We are all going to die someday, but to die for something you believe.... well words can't describe how I feel. I will just say that I am sadden by this news and may God bless him in heaven.

AMEN.........
Vikings ALL THE WAY!!!
Pepper..MoSs...Bennett

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aussieboy » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:21 am

We Aussies look to America as almost like a big brother, Tillman personifies all the qualities that illustrates why this is the case. I think its too easy to forget about the brave people that fight to ensure people like us are allowed to live our life freely and concentrate on the little things in life that make us happy, like sports and fantasy games. Unfortunately it takes a tragedy like this to remind us how lucky we are and how much we owe to those fighting for us. And a little note to Kellen Winslow II, your not a fu**ing soldier, so shut your fu**ing mouth, your a football player, learn the difference.

Thankyou and RIP Tillman. Lest We Forget.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Great Gambini » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:33 pm

awwchrist wrote:Someone grab Kellen Winslow Junior by the scruff of the neck, smack him around like the punk that he is, then point out that Pat Tillman is the real soldier.

I whole-heartedly agree. Today after we lost a baseball game, our coach was saying something about how we didn't go to war for him, but he went for us. And, to be honest, I was disgraced to be involved with that comparison, beacuse it's total crap. You can't appreciate something like war until you've experienced it, and Pat Tillman has experienced the worst of it. God Bless, with a heavy heart.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:36 pm

Amen to about everything you guys have said. Pat Tillman is a true hero :,-(
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sinnlos26 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:54 pm

Its sad how many people only realize at times like these what the price of freedom really is. Freedom is not free. It never has been, and never will be. Always will there be men dying to protect the rights and beliefs we hold dear to ourselves. Pat Tillman left a life that would have gained him respect and glory behind, and entered into one that also gained him respect and glory. The difference was, though, that the path he chose required more courage than many people have. Pat Tillman, may you rest in peace, and may your memory never fade from the minds and hearts of us forever.
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby steelerfan04 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:29 pm

A true American hero. He is a great example for everyone. :,-(
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext