Gibbs strikes again! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gibbs strikes again!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gibbs strikes again!

Postby TTTBone » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:06 pm

Gibbs' persuasion lands Barrow in Washington
Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) _ Peaceful moments can be hard to come by for a football player pursued by coach Joe Gibbs. Just ask free agent linebacker Mike Barrow, who signed with the Washington Redskins on Friday.

``You talk about a little voice in your head that tells you where to go - he was my voice,'' Barrow said. ``Every minute, every day, he called me.''

Barrow, cut last month by the New York Giants, chose the Redskins over the Detroit Lions and is expected to replace Jeremiah Trotter at middle linebacker. Barrow said Gibbs' views on family, faith and football swayed his decision, along with his own view that the Redskins are closer to winning a Super Bowl.

``I'm on that back nine,'' said Barrow, entering his 12th NFL season. ``I want to finish strong, like Tiger Woods.''

Barrow turned 34 on Monday, the same age as Trotter, who has been a disappointment since joining the Redskins as a free agent two years ago. Barrow said his dedication to offseason workouts have him feeling more like 26 or 27.

``I think I will get tired mentally before I get tired physically,'' Barrow said. ``I feel like I'm in the prime of my life. I've always been a late bloomer physically.''

Said Gibbs: ``Some guys at 34, they're young. He's a fanatic as far as working out and taking care of himself.''

Barrow led the New York Giants in tackles each of the last three seasons, but he was cut last month after he refused to restructure his contract. He began his career with the Houston Oilers, where he played under current Redskins assistant coach for defense Gregg Williams.

Trotter is still on the roster, but he has been given permission to seek a trade. If no deal is made, he will probably be cut after June 1 to save money under the salary cap.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:23 pm

He's definitely got the Parcells "draw" factor - I like players who have the sense to want to learn/play for a good coach. You Redskin fans have to be pleased at what may be coming next year!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:52 am

Mercer Boy wrote:He's definitely got the Parcells "draw" factor - I like players who have the sense to want to learn/play for a good coach. You Redskin fans have to be pleased at what may be coming next year!

We replaced an aging LB with another aging LB. :-b
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canacuna » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:25 am

...I was hoping the Seahawks would sign him...

...maybe they'll get Trotter, or something...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:40 am

Why wont they stop signing :~(

Not a bad signing at all though. But seriously, my man Lavar could just play ILB AND OLB
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:31 pm

i really like barrow. he may be old, but i havent seen any drop in his production. 150 tackles last year? ill take it. ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk