Lions/Jags trade rumor - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lions/Jags trade rumor

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lions/Jags trade rumor

Postby moochman » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:39 am

ESPN is reporting that the Lions and Jags have agreed to swap #1 picks with the Lions getting either 2 additional picks or Darius. The trade hinges on Roy Williams being availible at #6.
While I can't disagree with the strategy, I was hoping that the Lions would get Williams. It now looks like they will be choosing Steven Jackson at #9. This is what I don't like about this trade. Williams is sure fire stud, where Jackson is the best of a weak RB group. I think Jackson could be a flop by comparison, turning into a servicable back instead of a star like Williams should. Darius also adds a player to a position of strength to their D, which I don't feel is the best way to help build a team. Unless he is a stud like Taylor should be, and Darius is not a stud.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:47 am

Damn.

I really thinkits a dumb idea for the Lions to go after a RB with their first pick.

I was hoping for Sean Taylor, but with the additions the Lions have made to their secondary already, I now think the focus should either be in bringing in a pass rushing DE or a solid option for Joey. Winslow looked like an interesting prospect too.

Damn.

Mooch - ideally what do you think the Lions should address in this draft?
I am so very much against drafting a RB in the first rd - especially considering 5 of the 6 we have on our roster currently are under the age of 28. Isnt that enough? One of them has to pan out, right?
Last edited by Cornbread Maxwell on Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mannubhai » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:03 am

I think the Lions should keep their pick and grab Roy Williams instead if available. Charles Rogers and Roy Williams to throw to, Joey Harrington would be higher on my list for QB.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:14 am

Cornbread, I really think the Lions should stay put and pick Williams or Taylor. In that order. Both should have great careers as impact players. I like Williams better because the stories I hear about Rogers is that he is still not recovered fully from his broken Clavicle. That is some seriously slow healing and combined with how he broke it...he looks like he could be fragile.
I hate the idea of getting a RB in the first 2 rounds because I don't think these backs are that good. Bell in the third would be my best bet for a RB. I don't feel comfortable with Winslow because he is a TE and by position will not have the impact that Williams would. We'll know in about 2 hours. I am starting to worry that the Lions and Millenhead will find a way to screw this draft up. :-o

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk