Who had the best draft so far? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who had the best draft so far?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:40 pm

Anyone else see the Bengals not only took a RB which they may/may not need, but they took a QB in the later rounds...I don't get that one as you just used the top pick to get a QB last year. :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:45 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Anyone else see the Bengals not only took a RB which they may/may not need, but they took a QB in the later rounds...I don't get that one as you just used the top pick to get a QB last year. :-?

Drafting a QB in round 7 is hardly worth talking about. They need to groom a capable backup since Kitna won't be there forever. Taking Perry at pick 26 wasn't bad either, since their only other option was probably Watson/Troupe or Chris Gamble. They really loaded up on defense and Stacy Andrews in round 4 will turn out to be a steal.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:56 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:Anyone else see the Bengals not only took a RB which they may/may not need, but they took a QB in the later rounds...I don't get that one as you just used the top pick to get a QB last year. :-?

Drafting a QB in round 7 is hardly worth talking about. They need to groom a capable backup since Kitna won't be there forever. Taking Perry at pick 26 wasn't bad either, since their only other option was probably Watson/Troupe or Chris Gamble. They really loaded up on defense and Stacy Andrews in round 4 will turn out to be a steal.

Watson/Troupe or Gamble would have been a much better pick, this was the worst pick in the 1st round I thought. Oh by the way they took Perry over some chump named Kevin Jones who will probably be the best rookie RB next year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:06 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:

Watson/Troupe or Gamble would have been a much better pick, this was the worst pick in the 1st round I thought. Oh by the way they took Perry over some chump named Kevin Jones who will probably be the best rookie RB next year.

Four years from now, 60% of the first round players will be irrelevant. Should be interesting to see who pans out and who doesn't. I like Perry more than Jones.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:10 pm

If Perry is your preference I understand a little better, and while Perry is a good back (I'm a Michigan fan and he was great this year) Jones is a great back.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:15 pm

If I was the Bengals and I had my heart set on a running back I would have taken Jones, not Perry, though I do like Perry. I think they should have gotten Gamble though, hes a playmaker on the defense and should be great.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:09 pm

Two words from a Bear fan: Craig Krenzel??

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:23 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:Two words from a Bear fan: Craig Krenzel??

Hey, maybe they though they needed some help with their molecular biology homework... :-B

Just another guy to try out in the preseason to see how he might handle pro level competition...the guy was a battler at OSU! Well, if he doesn't work out, he should be able to do very well for himself in the normal rat race.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:34 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:Two words from a Bear fan: Craig Krenzel??

Lets not forget last year's two words "Cordell Stewart"
They're the Bears, GG, you should be used to this sort of thing by now. :-b
Krenzel may turn out to be a decent back-up, he is big and has a strong arm...methinks.
As far as the Perry/Jones comparisons, my vote goes heavily to Jones. He has the elusiveness and breakaway speed that Perry doesn't, IMO. He had bad times in the combines, but I think he runs good times with pads. Seemed to run away from enough tacklers whenever I watched him. I don't think Perry is big enough or fast enough to make it. Looks like a PSU RB to me. (sorry Nitty)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:09 am

Interesting comparison between Perry and Jones, fellas. Personally, I would rather see the Lions with a RB that is big and runs downhill between the tackles rather than a speedster who runs outside. A big bruiser RB would force teams to respect the run, while our 2 young WRs would stretch the defense vertically. That being said, I think Perry may have been the better fit for the Lions, but at this point its nitpicking.

Another thing - as happy as I am about having a potentially lethal WR combo, I also have reservations about how they compliment one another. Great WR combos usually have one thing in common - they arent similar WRs. One will be the deep threat, and the other would be the posession threat (the Moss/Carter mold). RW and CR are very similar in the style of WR they are, and that could come back to haunt the Lions. Hopefully Az Hakim and Tai Streets can mature into possession WRs, but neither has shown that ability in the past - great slot WRs, which is nice, but not posession WRs IMO. Someone tell me Im way off and am just being overly cautious, please.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk