Winner and Losers on 1st draft day - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Winner and Losers on 1st draft day

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby slowkidz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:13 am

UtopianHopes wrote:Losers:
2. Browns- Has too many needs to give another team a high 2nd rounder.


i wouldn't necessarily say that. they managed to get the #1 TE in the draft and, IMO, the #2 Safety in the draft. both are impact players who will start next year. AND both fill glaring holes in the Offense and Defense.

An average draft yes, top of the Loser's List....I don't think so. :-t
Image
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Posts: 7286
Joined: 19 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Beatin the Steers in C-bus!!

Postby UtopianHopes » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:53 am

Slowkidz wrote:
UtopianHopes wrote:Losers:
2. Browns- Has too many needs to give another team a high 2nd rounder.


i wouldn't necessarily say that. they managed to get the #1 TE in the draft and, IMO, the #2 Safety in the draft. both are impact players who will start next year. AND both fill glaring holes in the Offense and Defense.

An average draft yes, top of the Loser's List....I don't think so. :-t


i guess i am harsh considering i want them to do good, but damn i still wonder who they could have gotten with that selection they gave up.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 361
Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:43 am

r_singh_02 wrote:How could detroit not have had the best day, they got a great weapon, i mean 2 weapons on offense, to go wit da 2 they had last year wit rogers and harrington, dis offense should be fun to watch for years to come, and might even compete


Detroit came up HUGE on offense, but what about that crappy D? While I still put them WAY up there on the winners list, it won't do them much good if the D still looks like a high school squad.
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Plindsey88 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:47 am

Slowkidz wrote:
UtopianHopes wrote:Losers:
2. Browns- Has too many needs to give another team a high 2nd rounder.


i wouldn't necessarily say that. they managed to get the #1 TE in the draft and, IMO, the #2 Safety in the draft. both are impact players who will start next year. AND both fill glaring holes in the Offense and Defense.

An average draft yes, top of the Loser's List....I don't think so. :-t


Agreed. Here is my take on things... Garcia is a good QB, but I just don't see him as having the beautiful long ball... Winslow is a huge asset for them... They don't have a standout WR, and they don't have a QB that's known for his arm strength... But you send that plethora of decent WR's out their (who do you cover? They are all decent..), you get Winslow out there in the flat, and it could be a scary proposition... Look for the Brownies to be spreading defenses thinner than Paris Hilton at a Trim Spa convention...
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:37 am

Plindsey88 wrote:Detroit came up HUGE on offense, but what about that crappy D? While I still put them WAY up there on the winners list, it won't do them much good if the D still looks like a high school squad.


May be a little harsh here. The Lions went out and signed 2 good, veteran DBs in Bryant and Marion during the offseason, so they already addressed their secondary woes. The other defensive needs are a weakside OLB and DE help. They desperately need someone who can pressure the QB, and they still do. However, I also think that getting All American, Butkis Award winner Teddy Lehman in the 2nd was huge and is being overshadowed by the 2 brilliant first rd picks. Lehman steps into that OLB hole right away. Combined with Boss Bailey - another underappreciated pick overshadowed by a top WR - the Lions quietly have put together a couple speedy, young LBs that could make an immediate impact on one of the worst Ds from last yr.

However - until they get that solid pass rushing DE, the Lions will still be an average D at best in the NFL. The good side is that they got a lot of solid pieces to fill almost all the gaps the team had. Only a couple more holes to fill... ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:48 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Detroit came up HUGE on offense, but what about that crappy D? While I still put them WAY up there on the winners list, it won't do them much good if the D still looks like a high school squad.


May be a little harsh here. The Lions went out and signed 2 good, veteran DBs in Bryant and Marion during the offseason, so they already addressed their secondary woes. The other defensive needs are a weakside OLB and DE help. They desperately need someone who can pressure the QB, and they still do. However, I also think that getting All American, Butkis Award winner Teddy Lehman in the 2nd was huge and is being overshadowed by the 2 brilliant first rd picks. Lehman steps into that OLB hole right away. Combined with Boss Bailey - another underappreciated pick overshadowed by a top WR - the Lions quietly have put together a couple speedy, young LBs that could make an immediate impact on one of the worst Ds from last yr.

However - until they get that solid pass rushing DE, the Lions will still be an average D at best in the NFL. The good side is that they got a lot of solid pieces to fill almost all the gaps the team had. Only a couple more holes to fill... ;-D


Perhaps you're right about that... I forgot about Marion, and I suppose the offensive picks did distract from some solid defensive rebuilding....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby EatMyShorts092 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:00 pm

Losers
1. Rams- what the hell were they thinking umm lets draft the best rb and bench him for a couple of years


RU Kidding me? How r they losers? they got a perfect insurance back for faulk and faulk will mentor him into a great back. Best move Martz has made in awhile and while rams werent huge winners this move will be big for our future.

Detroit and SD were big winners

Giants big loser
EatMyShorts092
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 583
Joined: 3 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:04 pm

EatMyShorts092 wrote:
Losers
1. Rams- what the hell were they thinking umm lets draft the best rb and bench him for a couple of years


RU Kidding me? How r they losers? they got a perfect insurance back for faulk and faulk will mentor him into a great back. Best move Martz has made in awhile and while rams werent huge winners this move will be big for our future.

Detroit and SD were big winners

Giants big loser


The Rams aren't good enough to draft someone for a couple of years down the road. BTW I thought Winslow/Sean Jones was an excellent pair of draft picks.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby moochman » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:55 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Detroit came up HUGE on offense, but what about that crappy D? While I still put them WAY up there on the winners list, it won't do them much good if the D still looks like a high school squad.


There D was playing pretty well toward the end of the season last year and they are hoping that some injured players can contribute this year. Chris Cash and Kalimba Edwards are expected to come back and play large roles in this years D. Edwards had a hernia problem that is supposed to be fully healed. He was taken back when Millen was still a doofys, right before Portis. He should help the pass rush. Cash had won the starting CB job before tearing up his knee at the ened of camp last year. He is expected to be a nickle back and play safety. They have a much better D than people realize. Not show stoppers, but if their revamped offense can stay on the field for more than three plays at a time they could be adequate.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16302
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Postby Azrael » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:24 pm

I don't know if this was mentioned before but the Jaguars got an enormous 4th round steal with Ernest Wilford. In my opinion this guy flew way under the radar because of Va. Tech's style of offense that really doesn't use WR a whole lot. If this guy would have been in a more pass oriented offense, he would have gone in the middle of the 1st round. He's pretty darn good.
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 16:51 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact