Winner and Losers on 1st draft day - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Winner and Losers on 1st draft day

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby slowkidz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:13 am

UtopianHopes wrote:Losers:
2. Browns- Has too many needs to give another team a high 2nd rounder.

i wouldn't necessarily say that. they managed to get the #1 TE in the draft and, IMO, the #2 Safety in the draft. both are impact players who will start next year. AND both fill glaring holes in the Offense and Defense.

An average draft yes, top of the Loser's List....I don't think so. :-t
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby UtopianHopes » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:53 am

Slowkidz wrote:

i wouldn't necessarily say that. they managed to get the #1 TE in the draft and, IMO, the #2 Safety in the draft. both are impact players who will start next year. AND both fill glaring holes in the Offense and Defense.

i guess i am harsh considering i want them to do good, but damn i still wonder who they could have gotten with that selection they gave up.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Plindsey88 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:43 am

r_singh_02 wrote:How could detroit not have had the best day, they got a great weapon, i mean 2 weapons on offense, to go wit da 2 they had last year wit rogers and harrington, dis offense should be fun to watch for years to come, and might even compete

Detroit came up HUGE on offense, but what about that crappy D? While I still put them WAY up there on the winners list, it won't do them much good if the D still looks like a high school squad.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:47 am

Slowkidz wrote:

Agreed. Here is my take on things... Garcia is a good QB, but I just don't see him as having the beautiful long ball... Winslow is a huge asset for them... They don't have a standout WR, and they don't have a QB that's known for his arm strength... But you send that plethora of decent WR's out their (who do you cover? They are all decent..), you get Winslow out there in the flat, and it could be a scary proposition... Look for the Brownies to be spreading defenses thinner than Paris Hilton at a Trim Spa convention...

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:37 am

Plindsey88 wrote:Detroit came up HUGE on offense, but what about that crappy D? While I still put them WAY up there on the winners list, it won't do them much good if the D still looks like a high school squad.

May be a little harsh here. The Lions went out and signed 2 good, veteran DBs in Bryant and Marion during the offseason, so they already addressed their secondary woes. The other defensive needs are a weakside OLB and DE help. They desperately need someone who can pressure the QB, and they still do. However, I also think that getting All American, Butkis Award winner Teddy Lehman in the 2nd was huge and is being overshadowed by the 2 brilliant first rd picks. Lehman steps into that OLB hole right away. Combined with Boss Bailey - another underappreciated pick overshadowed by a top WR - the Lions quietly have put together a couple speedy, young LBs that could make an immediate impact on one of the worst Ds from last yr.

However - until they get that solid pass rushing DE, the Lions will still be an average D at best in the NFL. The good side is that they got a lot of solid pieces to fill almost all the gaps the team had. Only a couple more holes to fill... ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:48 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Detroit came up HUGE on offense, but what about that crappy D? While I still put them WAY up there on the winners list, it won't do them much good if the D still looks like a high school squad.

May be a little harsh here. The Lions went out and signed 2 good, veteran DBs in Bryant and Marion during the offseason, so they already addressed their secondary woes. The other defensive needs are a weakside OLB and DE help. They desperately need someone who can pressure the QB, and they still do. However, I also think that getting All American, Butkis Award winner Teddy Lehman in the 2nd was huge and is being overshadowed by the 2 brilliant first rd picks. Lehman steps into that OLB hole right away. Combined with Boss Bailey - another underappreciated pick overshadowed by a top WR - the Lions quietly have put together a couple speedy, young LBs that could make an immediate impact on one of the worst Ds from last yr.

However - until they get that solid pass rushing DE, the Lions will still be an average D at best in the NFL. The good side is that they got a lot of solid pieces to fill almost all the gaps the team had. Only a couple more holes to fill... ;-D

Perhaps you're right about that... I forgot about Marion, and I suppose the offensive picks did distract from some solid defensive rebuilding....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby EatMyShorts092 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:00 pm

Losers
1. Rams- what the hell were they thinking umm lets draft the best rb and bench him for a couple of years

RU Kidding me? How r they losers? they got a perfect insurance back for faulk and faulk will mentor him into a great back. Best move Martz has made in awhile and while rams werent huge winners this move will be big for our future.

Detroit and SD were big winners

Giants big loser
EatMyShorts092
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CC » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:04 pm

EatMyShorts092 wrote:
Losers
1. Rams- what the hell were they thinking umm lets draft the best rb and bench him for a couple of years

RU Kidding me? How r they losers? they got a perfect insurance back for faulk and faulk will mentor him into a great back. Best move Martz has made in awhile and while rams werent huge winners this move will be big for our future.

Detroit and SD were big winners

Giants big loser

The Rams aren't good enough to draft someone for a couple of years down the road. BTW I thought Winslow/Sean Jones was an excellent pair of draft picks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:55 pm

There D was playing pretty well toward the end of the season last year and they are hoping that some injured players can contribute this year. Chris Cash and Kalimba Edwards are expected to come back and play large roles in this years D. Edwards had a hernia problem that is supposed to be fully healed. He was taken back when Millen was still a doofys, right before Portis. He should help the pass rush. Cash had won the starting CB job before tearing up his knee at the ened of camp last year. He is expected to be a nickle back and play safety. They have a much better D than people realize. Not show stoppers, but if their revamped offense can stay on the field for more than three plays at a time they could be adequate.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Azrael » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:24 pm

I don't know if this was mentioned before but the Jaguars got an enormous 4th round steal with Ernest Wilford. In my opinion this guy flew way under the radar because of Va. Tech's style of offense that really doesn't use WR a whole lot. If this guy would have been in a more pass oriented offense, he would have gone in the middle of the 1st round. He's pretty darn good.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk