Rivers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rivers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby NFLknowitall » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:29 pm

If Rivers can overcome the Chargers not having any quality O-linemen and no WR's then he is the man! What are the Chargers doing? They drafted their first WR in the 6th round and then their first two O-linemen in the 7th round. Stupid! Brees and Rivers will never be successful without help. Good luck.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:43 pm

But didn't you know, taking a kicker in the 3rd round was crucial for the Chargers... :-°
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Wrestleannouncer » Thu May 13, 2004 9:40 am

Now I went to NCSU so obviously I'm biased, but I think Rivers is clearly the best QB of this year's draft.

And there was a man who compared Rivers to Dan Marino, you know who that man was? It was Dan Marino, on three separate occasions.

No doubt Ben is probably going to be a good one, Eli based on the talent may be... we'll have to see how he does early because in my opinion, he has always been too fragile a guy to handle being knocked, and he's going to be knocked in New York, let's face it.

Anybody still talking about the throwing motion needs to stop... the guy is ranked second in NCAA history in a lot of categories, completed 72 percent of his passes, was a three time bowl MVP and has instincts for football on a coaching level, which puts his aptitude way up there.

I could be wrong, just like anybody, but I think P-Riv is the future. Not a knock on the other guys at all, but Rivers is the classy, smart, fly under the radar player that does nothing but get the ball to his receivers and puts up strong numbers. Just look at his TD to INT ratio last season. I also say Cotchery is going to end up being a great possession receiver for the Jets. And yeah, I'm biased... so what.
Wrestleannouncer
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2004 4:27 pm

Hey SeaWolf,quit crappin on Bernie, he was a good qb for a long time.I admit he wasn't very mobile but when given time he picked defenses apart.

Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2004 4:28 pm

Hey SeaWolf,quit crappin on Bernie, he was a good qb for a long time.I admit he wasn't very mobile but when given time he picked defenses apart.

Friendliness: %

Postby SeaWolf » Thu May 13, 2004 4:39 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hey SeaWolf,quit crappin on Bernie, he was a good qb for a long time.I admit he wasn't very mobile but when given time he picked defenses apart.

Look, I wasn't "crappin on Berie". All I was saying is how wiered to be a first round pick and be compared to a QB, that has no titles and is only a one time pro bowler. I didn't say Kosar sucks, or is a bad QB. I just thought here are the Chargers using thier first round pick on a guy who was compared to a QB who didn't have first round pick type of numbers.
Heck I'm a Seahawk fan. I grew up with Dave Krieg as our QB. If someone compaired Rivers to Krieg I would have said the same thing, and I think Krieg was a decent QB. ;-D
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby awwchrist » Thu May 13, 2004 5:02 pm

I'm sorry, but Philip Rivers is not a name that should be used in conjunction with tacking on his first initial to the first syllable of his last name.

Coolness factor of 0.

Generally, I'm opposed to all nicknames in that form, but there's absolutely no way that "P-Riv" should ever see the light of day again.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu May 13, 2004 5:07 pm

LOL, yea P-Riv was brutal.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wrestleannouncer » Fri May 14, 2004 5:56 pm

That was the point fellas... "P-Riv" has been a tongue in cheek deal for a few years around people I know. You don't need a coolness factor to survive in the NFL, just as you don't need a perfect throwing motion or to be a total physical specimen.

Rivers was overweight coming out of high school (not Lorenzen but husky), his throwing motion made Florida State waiver on him, and no he wasn't poster boy material like Winslow. All he did was trim down to a decent size, make every big play NCSU could have asked for... they needed D last year, Rivers was ridiculous... and take that throwing motion to absolutely embarrass Notre Dame among others in football games for four years running. Shockingly enough, he is a trash talker on the field, and has shown nothing but leadership qualities.

"P-Riv" is a shot on T-Mac, A.I, T.O, and all the rest of the nicknames that sell shoes but haven't won Championships. Rivers will straight up get the job done and the Charger fans will love how you just won't hear his name in negative lights, ie Ryan Leaf. He isn't a dope fiend, he isn't a dancer, he just plays football and has a knack for the psychology of the game.

Good call on how bad the nickname was, the point obviously was made... or at least it is now. I say Ben is going to be a star, I think Eli will be just fine... but I'm biased towards the Wolfpack Wonder... how could you not be if you actually watched him play. My final comment on the subject is this... nothing is funnier than watching the Draft and seeing so many people with a "posse" following them or sitting in some big hall when they get drafted. Rivers... his immediate family, sitting in their living room on the sofa watching television with a fireplace in the back. I thought Roethlisberger was similar, though he was actually in NY... that's something I'm a big fan of. Those two guys, to me, are truly special.
Wrestleannouncer
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CC » Sat May 15, 2004 10:20 am

Rivers was sitting with his family because he wasn't one of the players invited to the draft.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk