A post about Rich Gannon's prospects - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A post about Rich Gannon's prospects

Moderator: Football Moderators

A post about Rich Gannon's prospects

Postby aussieboy » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:57 am

With the drafting of Robert Gallery and the improved Oakland defense is anyone upgrading their assesement of Gannon? I realise he still hasn't got his speedy receiver but lets not forget this guy is only 1 season removed from MVP. The Cafe's cheat sheet has him ranked at 21, and i recently drafted him in the 14th round in a mock draft. Is it possible that Gannon could light it up again this season and should he be placed alongside Garcia as possible late round steals?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowkidz » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:16 am

I don't think so. Just the fact that their two top WRs need a motorized wheelchair to get up and down the field doesn't help them. Porter should be good, but as long as there isn't anyone helping him, he'll only be average.

Oak's Oline is good. Gallery just helps with the old to new transition on that line with Kennedy leaving. Oakland needs another young WR to step up and the running game to get moving again before Gannon has a chance to become a "sleeper" in anyone's draft, or even begin to adjust his trifocal's so he can see downfield again. :-t
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby maddog60 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:16 am

Yes, Gannon did win MVP 2 years ago. He also should've been Tampa Bay's Superbowl MVP. He hasn't returned to form since that game. He's an alright backup, but unless its a 14-team league, I wouldnt feel safe with him as my #2 QB.

Side note: The rich drafting of O-lineman by the Raiders does improve my evaluation of Justin Fargas, who could be a major sleeper this year.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelyeri » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:35 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see him as one of the top QBs in the league again. He will have all the time in the world to throw like he did in 2002. the key will probably be how he adjusts to norv turners offense. but in the 14th round you can't go wrong. ;-D

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:03 am

It is hard to envision Gannon being a stud next year, but a sleeper sure. He does have Porter and Jolley to throw to. Wheatley will eat up tough yards and soften up the Ds. But I have a hard time seeing the Raiders putting up formidable passing #s in that offense. I look for the Raiders to try ball control run oriented offense.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:57 am

maddog60 wrote:Side note: The rich drafting of O-lineman by the Raiders does improve my evaluation of Justin Fargas, who could be a major sleeper this year.

Fargas will never play a full season in the NFL as a primary ballcarrier IMO. I could be wrong of course, but he will be a huge injury risk to me until he shows me otherwise. Its too bad too, hes got good skill but has simply gone through too many major knee issues at this point.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:27 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Fargas will never play a full season in the NFL as a primary ballcarrier IMO. I could be wrong of course, but he will be a huge injury risk to me until he shows me otherwise. Its too bad too, hes got good skill but has simply gone through too many major knee issues at this point.

Well, he's only played 1 year. He's no more an injury risk than Westbrook or D. Davis. His downside compared to those guys, is that he doesnt have nearly as many touches to somewhat prove himself. However, with Garner gone, Wheatley aging, Fargas looks to be their future. With Grove and Gallery, he's got some hefty lineman to help him too.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:31 pm

Gannon was once an MVP, but I doubt that will happen again. He has some nice weapons. He is a nice sleeper, but I dont see him competing with Peyton for #1 this year. As far as Fargas goes, he is a sleeper, but I am not sold on him
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:57 pm

Frankly, I think Gannon is too old, Rice and Brown are too old, and he needs some better weapons.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:49 pm

With as late as Rich Gannon is being drafted, it's hard not to go wrong. The available QBs at that point are next to nothing, and I think Gannon has the most potential of anyone who would be available that late.

"Hm, Rich Gannon or Quincy Carter...?" :-?

The offensive line has improved, so I think you could at least expect Gannon to be a decent backup, provided his shoulder is fine. Jerry Porter is good and Jerry Rice/Tim Brown might have another year left in the tank. Tyrone Wheatley can grind it out and then Gannon can throw a pass or two...

...I think Tyrone Wheatley will win the starting job in Oakland, although if he's healthy, Justin Fargas could make a strong run. Fargas looked great in pre-season last year, but his entire lower body is probably being held together by duct tape, or something. He was Mr. Injury during college...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Football Talk