Collins refuses to restructure contact - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Collins refuses to restructure contact

Moderator: Football Moderators

Collins refuses to restructure contact

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:51 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1790040 wrote:Monday, April 26, 2004

ESPN.com news services

The New York Giants on Monday met with quarterback Kerry Collins to discuss his future with the team, which has been in doubt since the team acquired the rights to Eli Manning.

Collins

Collins met with Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi at Giants Stadium on Monday morning, at which time Collins reiterated he would not renegotiate his contract.

According to a Newsday report, Collins, 31, was informed he would be released in the next day or two. Collins' days as a Giant have appeared numbered since New York acquired the rights for Manning in a trade with the Chargers, who made the Mississippi quarterback the first pick in last weekend's draft.

Accorsi, however, denied to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that he told Collins he would be cut this week.

Accorsi confirmed he had met on Monday with Collins, the Giants' quarterback for the last five seasons, but said he told Collins he would meet with the coaching staff and the organization would have a decision on Collins' future within the next few days.

Accorsi did not rule out releasing Collins, but maintained in his interview with Mortensen that Collins was not told he'd be cut within the week.

"Obviously, I'm reflective about the past five years," Collins, 31, told Newsday after meeting with Accorsi. "It's been a great five years. At the same time, I'm looking forward to moving on."

Collins, scheduled to earn $7 million this season, attended a meeting and the team's offseason conditioning program Monday morning at Giants Stadium, at which time he was asked to meet with Accorsi in his office. Collins said he would not renegotiate his contract, and then left Giants Stadium around 10 a.m., according to Newsday's report.

Collins, who led the Giants to an appearance in Super Bowl XXXV after the 2000 season, set franchise records in 2002 with 335 completions and 4,073 passing yards. But in 13 starts last season, he threw 13 touchdowns and 16 interceptions, and completed 56.8 percent of his passes, his lowest since signing with the Giants as an unrestricted free agent in February, 1999.

He'll find a home this season I'm sure.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dazedncnfz » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:52 am

I was just about to post this...he'll find a home, but it may not be as a starter....time will tell

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:03 pm

San Fran could use some help, and i know they were interested in Kitna. Maybe he will end up there. Other than that i dont know if there are any starting spots open.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:03 pm

Thats a bit of a blow to the Giants - I bet they would have liked to keep Manning clean for a little while until he was up to speed. At the very least they would have liked Collins to help out with his education. Now they dont have an option.

On the other hand, from Collins viewpoint it didnt make much sense financially or occupationally for him to restructure his contract. In this day of me-first sports he did the right thing.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:19 pm

Well, this just about makes it official: Open season on Eli begins at the Linc! }:-)

With Collins departing, I wouldn't surprised if they bring in a free agent veteran. Hmm, how ironic would it be if Warner went to the Giants. "Hi guys, remember me? Good, because I don't remember a thing from that day."
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:37 pm

I would be very wary of Eli and the Giants if Collins leaves. He was a good QB and makes me back away from the receivers there too. As far as Collins in San Fran, they said they dont want to bring in a QB...and I think Collins could fit well in a place like ARI :-?
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:58 pm

I don't know if anyone in Dallas noticed, but Quincy Carter isn't a good starting QB. Not to say that Kerry Collins is like Joe Montana, but I'd say he's better than Carter. They could play Collins for the next year or two, and then maybe Drew Henson can get the nod with Quincy Carter holding a clipboard the entire time - like he should be doing.

Maybe Chicago? Rex Grossman looked decent last year, though...

Otherwise, he's probably stuck as a backup...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TTTBone » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:01 pm

NittanyLions wrote:I would be very wary of Eli and the Giants if Collins leaves. He was a good QB and makes me back away from the receivers there too. As far as Collins in San Fran, they said they dont want to bring in a QB...and I think Collins could fit well in a place like ARI :-?

Hadn't thought of that one. Denny always liked to have a veteran backing up his young guys (Cunningham, George). He'd be a good fit there, and if McNown falters could be dangerous with those 'Zona WR's.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby MCG321 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:03 pm

I've always been a Collins fan, so best wishes to him wherever he ends up.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:21 pm

...Here's some stuff from ProFootballTalk.com...

ProFootballTalk wrote:TEAMS ARE DROOLING FOR COLLINS

Though the Manning-to-New York scenario is looking less likely by the hour, we're hearing that several NFL teams are slobbering all over themselves like Homer Simpson at the possibility that a big, balding donut named Kerry Collins might hit the open market.

Word is that Miami, Dallas, Arizona, and possibly the Steelers would jump into the bidding for Collins if/when he hits the open market.

And if Eli ends up with the Giants, Collins most definitely will be gone. Sure, the G-men would offer Collins something to stick around as the No. 2 guy, but with the chance to end up somewhere else as the starter we doubt Kerry would swallow a big pay cut from his current $7 million salary.

Especially when he has other options. As one league source told us, "He's tough, he learned from past mistakes, he plays hurt, and he never bitches -- he's a poor man's Brett Favre."

WARNER WON'T GET MANY BITES

Contrary to Collins, don't look for Rams quarterback Kurt Warner to be fighting off gentleman callers when he becomes available after June 1.

Several league insiders believe that Warner still is not physically or mentally ready to take NFL hits again -- and there's a concern that he never will be.

There's another small problem generally known as Mrs. Warner.

"She's a pain in the ass and she leads him around like a f--king clown," one league source told us. Her history of active involvement in her husband's affairs -- including a phone call to a radio station during which she labeled coach Mike Martz a liar -- is a significant deterrent for any team who might otherwise be interested.

...So there you go.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Football Talk