KW II - Fantasy Impact - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

KW II - Fantasy Impact

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:40 am

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable anointing Winslow as a fantasy monster already?

CLE has no shortage of offensive weapons at this point. Between Andre Davis, Quincy Morgan, and Dennis Northcut, there are a lot of recieving options for this team. Its not like Winslow steps into a situation where he is the only downfield option. Ive seen some people speculate that he will get 8 TDs next season with great yards to boot - a top 2 TE. Wow. Considering he had a grand total of 2 TDs last yr on a team with fewer downfield options than the team he is currently on, maybe those type of predictions are kinda lofty.

Dont get me wrong - he's damn good - if he wasnt he wouldnt have been drafted so high. Im just not convinced that from a fantasy perspective I want to spend an early draft pick on him in the Gonzalez, Shockey range.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby proKrastinate » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:16 am

I agree, it was a on-the-fence type deal for me putting him up there.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby slowkidz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:37 am

Cleveland is playing more to the Power-Running Game than the Long Ball Aerial approach. When Garcia throws, I'd look for the short, precise passes. KW2 gives Cleveland a go to guy thats not afraid to go across the middle and take on the LBs. I truly think that having him on the field will help take the pressure off the running game and make defenses respect what Cleveland has to offer.

Now saying that, I don't necessarily think KW2 will be an all out superstar next year. He'll have a good 1st year, ala Shockey, and may even get ROY Honors. But I see him getting better and better as time goes on. A direct impact fantasy wise next year? I don't know about being in the top 3, but I can definitely think of worse people to have as your fantasy TE.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:50 am

Slowkidz wrote:I truly think that having him on the field will help take the pressure off the running game and make defenses respect what Cleveland has to offer.

Now saying that, I don't necessarily think KW2 will be an all out superstar next year. He'll have a good 1st year, ala Shockey, and may even get ROY Honors. But I see him getting better and better as time goes on. A direct impact fantasy wise next year? I don't know about being in the top 3, but I can definitely think of worse people to have as your fantasy TE.

What are Morgan, Davis, and Northcut doing if they arent taking pressure off the running game? Last yr w/ K. Johnson this WR corps was considered one of the best and youngest in the NFL. Now Johnson is gone and the majority of passes will go to a rookie TE? I just cant buy that.

Unless Im mistaken, there will be a lot of fantasy guys hyping him this yr - pushing up his fantasy value.

Is he a top 3 TE this yr?
top 5?
What rd do you expect him to go?
What rd would you consider drafting him?

My opinions:
no
maybe - but probably not
4th
8th or later.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slowkidz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:05 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:What are Morgan, Davis, and Northcut doing if they arent taking pressure off the running game? Last yr w/ K. Johnson this WR corps was considered one of the best and youngest in the NFL. Now Johnson is gone and the majority of passes will go to a rookie TE? I just cant buy that.

Morgan/Davis don't do much, as evident from last season. D'Cutt is neither here nor there. He was by far our most consistent WR. Johnson had problems with the Coaches. Unfortunately they let him go. The main problem last year is that we had a QB merry-go-round with a banged up line and everyone knew it. They saw blitzes and the QB was either being hit or falling down. Cleveland has made some adjustments and will be much improved over last season (it's hard not to be much improved after last season.)

We have talented young WRs, but none big enough to go over the middle consistently. That's where KW2 comes into play. He can take on a LB with no problem. I doubt the majority of passes will go his way, but I do see him as a more reliable TE vs guys like Alexander, Ricks, Alge, Boo, Fauria, etc.

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Unless Im mistaken, there will be a lot of fantasy guys hyping him this yr - pushing up his fantasy value.

There is definitely a lot of hype surrounding him. Mainly from various "Sports Experts", but a lot from his Father as well, a HOF TE himself. A quote from the Plain Dealer has KW1 saying, "He plays just like me, if not better. If I was KW Version 1.0, he is KW Version 2.0..."

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Is he a top 3 TE this yr?
top 5?

My opinions:
no
maybe - but probably not
4th
8th or later.

1) Probably not this year
2) I'd put him in the top 5
3) 5th
4) 5th/6th depending how the draft is proceeding
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Buckychudd » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:21 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Is he a top 3 TE this yr?
top 5?

My opinions:
no
maybe - but probably not
4th
8th or later.

I'd put him at #5 behind Gonzo, Shockey, Sharpe, Heap......but there is a big drop-off after him. Next year I expect he will be top 3, but we'll have to see. He'll be a solid TE, but I don't think anybody is saying draft him ahead of Gonzo......that would be like drafting Fitz ahead of Moss.

I'd look to draft him around round 6, which for me is about the earliest I'd take any rookie......you can just never tell how they will perform in the NFL.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:40 am

First of all - I apologize for kind of hijacking this thread with Winslow debate. I recognize now that it should be a new thread - if any mods want to reroute it, that'd be nice.

Where would you rank Winslow with these TEs:

TG
Shockey
Sharpe
Heap
McMichael
Crumpler - reunited with Vick
Pollard
F. Jones - anyone think he will have a good yr?

My opinion is he will end up with production equalling the 6th or 7th best TE this yr. Is that way off? Should I even have Pollard or Jones listed?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slowkidz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:53 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:First of all - I apologize for kind of hijacking this thread with Winslow debate. I recognize now that it should be a new thread - if any mods want to reroute it, that'd be nice.

Done! ;-D

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Where would you rank Winslow with these TEs:

TG
Shockey
Sharpe
Heap
McMichael
Crumpler - reunited with Vick
Pollard
F. Jones - anyone think he will have a good yr?

My opinion is he will end up with production equalling the 6th or 7th best TE this yr. Is that way off? Should I even have Pollard or Jones listed?

Id rank them like this:
Gonzo
Shockey
Sharpe
KW2
Heap
McMikey
Clark - I don't see Pollard making a splash last year...Dallas was outperforming him by a country mile.
Crumpler
Jones - I don't see him repeating last year's performance as he was Blake's "Safety Valve", but you could do worse...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Flux » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:56 am

Slowkidz wrote:Cleveland is playing more to the Power-Running Game than the Long Ball Aerial approach. When Garcia throws, I'd look for the short, precise passes. KW2 gives Cleveland a go to guy thats not afraid to go across the middle and take on the LBs. I truly think that having him on the field will help take the pressure off the running game and make defenses respect what Cleveland has to offer.

I see where you are going with tihs and i agree, but its going to be one long season if the Browns are going to try and pound the ball w/ that offensive line. I think the fact the line isnt proven will give KW2 more looks since Garcia is going to be scrambling a lot (which of course is when he's at his best). I would agree with whats been said so far and put him at #5
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:00 pm

Like I said, I'd put him at #5. The problem/opportunity is that after the top 5 TEs, there is a huge drop-off and not much differentiation betweeen TEs. So there is pretty significant pressure to grab one of these guys. Either way, what other rookie can you say will immediately be top 5 at his position?

As for your rankings.....they look ok, but Crumpler didn't do much until Vick was injured, and Pollard is going to have some intense competition from Clark. After my top 5 there is a huge drop-off then McMichael, Itula, Boo, Crumpler, Jones, and Gates rounding our my top 10.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Football Talk