Return to Football Talk

KW II - Fantasy Impact

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:58 pm

slow... K2 above heap? ur crazy even for a brownies fan! :-B
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mannubhai » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:01 pm

terpfan wrote:slow... K2 above heap? ur crazy even for a brownies fan! :-B

Wishful thinking slow.

As for drafting KW2, I would not consider him before the 8th round.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Big Pimpin' » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:15 pm

i agree with the majority in that i would rate him at 5 behind gonzo,shockey,sharpe and heap. i think even in a keeper league, i would have him in the same spot although obviously sharpe would drop on that one.
as for a rookie being in the top 5 of his position, well, the tight end position is so weak fantasy wise, that you don't have to be the next coming of gonzo to break into the top 5. it is just a weak position.
Big Pimpin'
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby awwchrist » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:37 pm

One thing that scares me about him as a fantasy starter is Garcia's scrambling ability. He does it...and he does it for touchdowns.

Not good for Winslow owners. Screw yardage. It's all about the 6.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:52 pm

Unless I have a chance at drafting Tony Gonzalez or Shannon Sharpe, I usually wait until the closing rounds to pick up a TE. Kellen Winslow II could be a top five, but will probably be drafted earlier than I would like him to be. Anyway, here's the order I would draft TEs in...

1. Tony Gonzalez - he's a stud, best TE by far.
2. Shannon Sharpe - he's a stud.
3. Jeremy Shockey - he's studlier than most.
4. Todd Heap - he's studlier than most.
5. Kellen Winslow II - has no shortage of potential.
6. Boo Williams - he was awesome towards the end of last season.
7. Freddie Jones - he's good.
8. Itula Mili - Hasselbeck looks his way often enough.
9. Randy McMichael - eh, he's decent.
10. Antonio Gates - looked good last year.
11. Marcus Pollard - he'll get some touches.
12. Dallas Clark - ...and so will he.
13. Alge Crumpler - Healthy Vick = :-t , Injured Vick = ;-D

...I can't believe I made a list of TEs - I'd better stop before I start ranking the kickers...

Anyway, as I said before, unless I can land Tony Gonzalez (probably third or fourth round) or Shannon Sharpe (probably fifth or sixth round), I probably won't take a TE until one of the final rounds - unless one happens to slip/all of the backups suck worse than the available TEs.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby smackthefirst » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:19 pm

Two thoughts on this, because I havent come to a conclusion yet. First, how far do you drop Shockey assuming Eli starts?

As for KWII, I think that the fact he was a receiving TE and he went so high (and his yet to be resolved contract), will lead to his having his number called more often?

I rank them in this order:

Gonzalez
Sharpe
Shockey
Winslow
Heap
(Boo) <- the last one id care to draft.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Homeless » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:35 pm

You simply HAVE to put Kellen just inside the top 5 TE's (Gonzo,Sharpe, Shockey,Heap and KW2) You cant put him any higher without a Pro season behind him and putting him lower is pointless because we all know the rest of the pack consistently fails to produce as a group year after year.

PS My surprise for the TE spot this yr is Antonio Gates (I see Canacuna mentioned him), if you miss one of the big 5 then you should be able to grab him late and thus he makes a cheap risk with a huge potential payoff.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:39 pm

There can be little debate on 1-2

Gonzalez
Shockey

To anyone who wants to put Sharpe #2, his 8 TDs last year were an abberation. I doubt he'd put up similar numbers. I'll give the nod to Shockey's youth in this case.

Decent dropoff at the 3-6 spots.

Heap
Sharpe
McMichael
Crumpler

McMichael could be a top #3 TE if he were used more. He is more talented than Shockey IMHO.

After this, it becomes a "doesn't matter much who you have". Bubba Franks rightfully goes at the top of this list. Easily a top 3-4 guy if he gets his TD catches again. After that, you could easily insert KWII. After Crumpler goes off the board, you're probably in round 8 anyway, so if you take a chance on KWII, it's not THAT risky. Freddie Jones is another top pick for this list, but I wouldn't find much fault in taking a chance at this stage.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AF » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:13 pm

Getting back to the discussion about KW2 being an impact with the Browns let's take a look at what the "Big 3" WRs the Browns have did last year.

Quincy Morgan: 38 rec, 518 yards, 3 tds
Andre' Davis: 40 rec, 576 yards, 5 tds
Dennis Northcutt: 62 rec, 729 yards, 2 tds

Now let's compare that to some of the good TEs around the league.

Tony Gonzalez: 71 rec, 916 yards, 10 tds
Jermey Shockey: 48 rec, 535, 2tds (In 9 Games)
Shannon Sharpe: 62 rec, 770 yards, 8 tds
Todd Heap: 57 rec, 693 yards, 3 tds

So even if Kellen Winslow puts up numbers that even closely resemble the numbers that these 4 guys put up he could be the leading reciever for the Browns next year. And let's not forget that as of right now Northcutt is not with the Browns. Yes, the Browns have his rights but they have been unable to reach an agreement that will bring him to camp. So starting the season the Browns could have a WR core who last year combined for: 89 rec, 1211 yards, and 8 tds. To put that in perspective Torry Holt himself had 117 rec, 1696 yards, and 12 tds. Even the "big 3" hardly put those numbers up combined with just 23 more rec and 127 more yards with 2 less TDs. So I don't think that I would call those 3 WRs much of a downfield threat. Kellen Winslow II wouldn't be stealing much thunder if he came in and had 60 rec, 750 yards and 6 TDs this year and I wouldn't call those numbers out of the question. That combined with those 3 WR's numbers would put Cleveland's QB stats from 2003 about on par with a Jeff Garcia season with his 2001 or 2002 numbers.

Edit: Kinda sad when I took a little closer look at those TE/WR numbers and realized that all of those TEs put up better numbers then any WRs on the Browns roster last year.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:14 pm

I like Winslow's potential, if he can stay out of trouble I would draft him as the 5th TE. Troupe might also be a smart pick really late.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk