Eli, Rivers and B-Roe - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eli, Rivers and B-Roe

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eli, Rivers and B-Roe

Postby AF » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:34 pm

Anybody else remember how the big nock on Ben Roethlisberger coming into the draft was he couldn't move very well? Today I was just going over some player bios on these three players and I noticed something that struck me as odd. Eli runs a 4.9, Rivers runs a 4.95 and Ben runs a 4.81!??! Whaaaaaa??? How can this be right is Ben isn't "mobile" enough? They also say that Eli is average at best when on the run and Rivers is knocked because of his throwing motion where the only knock on Ben is his speed. I for one can tell you Ben does not have a bad release and he throws as well on the run as he does set. On top of all that he is the biggest with the strongest arm. So wouldn't these "downfalls" paired with these facts lead you to believe that Ben would be the better QB out of the bunch? Just some food for thought.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:09 pm

I believed he was the better QB before you showed me those stats ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby STEELtownUSA » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:15 pm

Maybe I am mistaken, but here in Pittsburgh no one wanted Rivers, they wanted Ben because he was a mobile QB and rivers wasnt
STEELtownUSA
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby deftdelivery » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:28 pm

Although I completely hate Manning now, I can tell you honestly that Manning went #1 because of his family's name. "Hey, Archie was great. Peyton's great. Therefore, Eli's great" is the mentality most teams saw. History is the biggest influence in drafting...it's the one thing teams see set in stone. As for the better between Rivers or B-Roe, perhaps teams saw Rivers as part of a more polished system at NC State...

But I agree, B-Roe looks like a VERY strong quarterback with lots of potential ;-D
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:29 pm

Everything I read before the draft said Ben was the most mobile QB of the bunch. The knock on him is he is more of a project than either Rivers or Eli. They are both more polished and ready for the pro game. Ben played in a bad division and his competition wasn't as good either which was also a factor. Ben apparently can do pretty much everything physically better than both those QBs. He just hasn't been proven at a higher level and doesn't have the smarts just yet. Remember the year of Manning and Leaf, Leaf did all the physical stuff better than Manning. Manning was the better QB because he had the smarts. Smarts have to count for something.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby AF » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:43 pm

Well I thought I was totally bias since I went to Miami(Ohio) and most others thought he wasn't that good. That's the only reason I posted this. I never was a big fan of the arguement about competition when talking about QBs though. It does have it's merits and I understand them, but you also have to remember the WRs he is throwing to are not as good either. I understand that the DBs are not going to break on the ball as well and the game is a hair slower but still. Ben put up some Pennington and Leftwich like numbers at Miami. Oh well, I'm rooting for the Steelers to go 0-16 with Ben haveing a QB rating of 117. :-b I alos want to see Manning have an Elway like first year and get booed like crazy in N.Y. If you put Ben's numbers into a NFL QB rating system he had a 113.92 last season.
Last edited by AF on Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:46 pm

i dont remember hearing that ben was immobile. he has been described as big and athletic, and able to move around a bit when he has to. its the level of competition hes faced thats been the biggest knock on him. he's far and away the most mobile qb of the three.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:00 pm

I remember some immobile reports, and I definately remember the bad realeas ones. Good news you bring, he has a ton of potential for us ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:04 pm

The knock on Roethlisberger was that he played in the MAC conference, not his mobility. With Pennington and Leftwich turning out alright, I think thats a pretty decent knock to have on you. All said, Big Ben is the best QB in this class.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:55 am

[/quote]I can tell you honestly that Manning went #1 because of his family's name. "Hey, Archie was great. Peyton's great. Therefore, Eli's great" is the mentality most teams saw. History is the biggest influence in drafting...it's the one thing teams see set in stone.....[/quote]

Eli holds 45 Ole Miss single-game, season and career records ... the fifth player in SEC history to record 10,000 career passing yards ... Is the Rebels’ career passing leader with 9,860 yards, which is also fifth on the SEC’s all-time list ... Ranks first on the Ole Miss career list and fourth in SEC history with 1,332 passing attempts ... 807 career completions is an Ole Miss record and fourth in SEC history ... Is first on the Ole Miss career list and third on SEC all-time chart with 79 TD passes ... Enters the SBC Cotton Bowl ranking first on the school career lists for pass efficiency (137.23) and average yards per attempt (7.27) ... His 137.23 pass efficiency rating is seventh on the SEC’s career list ... Recorded the lowest career percentage of interceptions thrown at Ole Miss at 2.55, which is also tied for the third-lowest in SEC history ... Is first all-time on the school’s career list for 200-yard passing games (31), 250-yard passing games (22), 300-yard passing games (10) and 350-yard passing games (6) ... 83 career TDs responsible for (79 pass, 4 rush) is first on the school’s career list and tied for fourth in SEC history ... Ranks first on the school’s career chart for total offensive plays with 1,459 ... Has 9,724 career yards of total offense to rank first all-time at Ole Miss and fifth in SEC history ... Has a career average of 6.66 yards per offensive play to rank first on the school’s career list ... Ranks first all-time at Ole Miss with a career average of 231.5 yards of total offense per game ... Is the Rebels’ career leader in 300-yard total offense games (9) and 350-yard total offense games (6) ... Career 60.6-percent completion percentage is second all-time at Ole Miss ... Career average of 12.2 yards per completion ranks second all-time at Ole Miss.

I suppose that had nothing to do with it?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk