Eli, Rivers and B-Roe - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eli, Rivers and B-Roe

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby AF » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:33 am

But the real debate here is has Eli ever had a 59-yard punt like Ben did in 2002 at North Carolina? ;-D

Seriously though I'm sure you could throw up a list of records at least as long as that for Ben. In fact I challenge anybody to find a Miami passing record that Ben doesn't hold. I wouldn't be surprised if he hold nearlly all career Miami records even after leaving a year early. He lead Miami to the highest scoreing season in MAC history this year. I could go on and on.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby phunkadelic » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:19 am

aussieboy wrote:Eli holds 45 Ole Miss single-game, season and career records ... the fifth player in SEC history to record 10,000 career passing yards ... Is the Rebels’ career passing leader with 9,860 yards, which is also fifth on the SEC’s all-time list ... Ranks first on the Ole Miss career list and fourth in SEC history with 1,332 passing attempts ... 807 career completions is an Ole Miss record and fourth in SEC history ... Is first on the Ole Miss career list and third on SEC all-time chart with 79 TD passes ... Enters the SBC Cotton Bowl ranking first on the school career lists for pass efficiency (137.23) and average yards per attempt (7.27) ... His 137.23 pass efficiency rating is seventh on the SEC’s career list ... Recorded the lowest career percentage of interceptions thrown at Ole Miss at 2.55, which is also tied for the third-lowest in SEC history ... Is first all-time on the school’s career list for 200-yard passing games (31), 250-yard passing games (22), 300-yard passing games (10) and 350-yard passing games (6) ... 83 career TDs responsible for (79 pass, 4 rush) is first on the school’s career list and tied for fourth in SEC history ... Ranks first on the school’s career chart for total offensive plays with 1,459 ... Has 9,724 career yards of total offense to rank first all-time at Ole Miss and fifth in SEC history ... Has a career average of 6.66 yards per offensive play to rank first on the school’s career list ... Ranks first all-time at Ole Miss with a career average of 231.5 yards of total offense per game ... Is the Rebels’ career leader in 300-yard total offense games (9) and 350-yard total offense games (6) ... Career 60.6-percent completion percentage is second all-time at Ole Miss ... Career average of 12.2 yards per completion ranks second all-time at Ole Miss.

I suppose that had nothing to do with it?

Every one of those stats compares Eli only to the previous quarterbacks at that school. That means nothing comparing him to QBs from other schools.

It still remains that Roethlisberger was the best QB in this draft, and was by far the biggest steal of the draft.

If NCAA had an 8 team playoff, Miami of Ohio would have been in the tourney, and I'd bet anyone who would have bet me that they would have made a serious run and maybe would have been national champs. That kind of exposure would have made Ben the #1 pick ;-D .
phunkadelic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:28 am

phunkadelic wrote:
aussieboy wrote:Eli holds 45 Ole Miss single-game, season and career records ... the fifth player in SEC history to record 10,000 career passing yards ... Is the Rebels’ career passing leader with 9,860 yards, which is also fifth on the SEC’s all-time list ... Ranks first on the Ole Miss career list and fourth in SEC history with 1,332 passing attempts ... 807 career completions is an Ole Miss record and fourth in SEC history ... Is first on the Ole Miss career list and third on SEC all-time chart with 79 TD passes ... Enters the SBC Cotton Bowl ranking first on the school career lists for pass efficiency (137.23) and average yards per attempt (7.27) ... His 137.23 pass efficiency rating is seventh on the SEC’s career list ... Recorded the lowest career percentage of interceptions thrown at Ole Miss at 2.55, which is also tied for the third-lowest in SEC history ... Is first all-time on the school’s career list for 200-yard passing games (31), 250-yard passing games (22), 300-yard passing games (10) and 350-yard passing games (6) ... 83 career TDs responsible for (79 pass, 4 rush) is first on the school’s career list and tied for fourth in SEC history ... Ranks first on the school’s career chart for total offensive plays with 1,459 ... Has 9,724 career yards of total offense to rank first all-time at Ole Miss and fifth in SEC history ... Has a career average of 6.66 yards per offensive play to rank first on the school’s career list ... Ranks first all-time at Ole Miss with a career average of 231.5 yards of total offense per game ... Is the Rebels’ career leader in 300-yard total offense games (9) and 350-yard total offense games (6) ... Career 60.6-percent completion percentage is second all-time at Ole Miss ... Career average of 12.2 yards per completion ranks second all-time at Ole Miss.

Every one of those stats compares Eli only to the previous quarterbacks at that school. That means nothing comparing him to QBs from other schools.

It still remains that Roethlisberger was the best QB in this draft, and was by far the biggest steal of the draft.

If NCAA had an 8 team playoff, Miami of Ohio would have been in the tourney, and I'd bet anyone who would have bet me that they would have made a serious run and maybe would have been national champs. That kind of exposure would have made Ben the #1 pick ;-D .

Those records and stats compare him to every other QB from that conference. Historically a much better conference than the MAC. So if Eli is setting records in the SEC and Ben is setting records in the MAC which QBs numbers will mean more to you? I'm not saying Ben isn't a good QB. But he hasn't played at the same level as Manning has. We'll see who's the best QB when all is said and done. Right now nobody knows anything.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:38 pm

phunkadelic wrote:

Are you kidding me? If they couldn't beat Iowa what makes you think they are the best team in the country.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:15 pm

Phunkadelic is just blinded by his homerism for Ohio teams, give him a break. While I do think that Roethlisberger might be the best QB in the draft, I definitely do not think that Miami of Ohio could've won the national championship, or even gotten close.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Riffraff » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:15 pm

Had to post this since people are throwing around stats to "prove" thier preferred QB.

If you want to talk about records, how about ALL-time NCAA records instead of just team records?

Philip Rivers:

The second-leading passer in NCAA history with 13,484 career passing yards, breaking school and Atlantic Coast Conference records

He also set an NCAA record with 51 career starts at quarterback

Philip finished second in NCAA history with 13,582 career yards of total offense

He tied for fifth in NCAA history with 95 career touchdown passes and also broke school and ACC career-records for passing attempts (1710), pass completions (1147), touchdowns responsible for (112), 300-yard passing games (18) and 400-yard passing games (7)

Philip started all 51 games (including 2000-01 bowls) of his four years and threw for at least 100 yards in every contest while posting a 34-17 career record as the starter

He is the first quarterback in ACC history, and the seventh in the history of the NCAA, to throw for 3000 yards in three different seasons

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/486239

Ben and Eli were second rate QBs when talking about NCAA records.
Riffraff

Friendliness: %

Postby CC » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:21 pm

Rivers may have set more records than Manning and Roethlisberger, but he was surrounded by more talent. Also, strictly speaking about physical tools, Manning and Roethlisberger both have cannons for arms whereas Rivers has a relatively weak arm.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WatchMeDisappear » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:05 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Rivers may have set more records than Manning and Roethlisberger, but he was surrounded by more talent. Also, strictly speaking about physical tools, Manning and Roethlisberger both have cannons for arms whereas Rivers has a relatively weak arm.

hehe...surrounded by more talent....hehe
WatchMeDisappear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CC » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:08 pm

Cotchery and McLendon are better than any tandem on Ole Miss or Miami-Ohio, although Martin Nance out of Miami-Ohio looks like he could be real good in the future.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Azrael » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:28 pm

College stats mean almost nothing. There's alot of guys who set all kinds of records or were major studs in college and then were not drafted or were drafted and turned out to be major busts or nothing near what they were supposed to be (Andre Ware, the Detmers, Ryan Leaf, Rashaan Salaam, a number of Florida QB's, Penn St. RB's, possibly Drew Brees, B. J. Symons).

I also think stats mean very little to pro scouts. They watch tapes of the QB's mechanics and how they handle certain situations.

Just to give my opinion on the issue, I think it was more likely that he got drafted 1st because of his lineage than because of his stats.

Archie did great, Peyton's awesome...I believe that does factor into the thought process. I'll do a poll. Let's see what everyone thinks.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk