Maddox unhappy in Pittsburgh - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maddox unhappy in Pittsburgh

Moderator: Football Moderators

Maddox unhappy in Pittsburgh

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:49 pm

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2357476 wrote:PITTSBURGH (AP) ? An angered Tommy Maddox met Tuesday with Steelers coach Bill Cowher to discuss the team's use of a first-round draft pick on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Maddox, Pittsburgh's starting quarterback for the past two seasons, left the Steelers' training complex without talking to reporters and there was no word on what they discussed.

The meeting came three days after the Steelers added Roethlisberger, the only quarterback they have drafted on the first round since 1981. Roethlisberger is expected to become the starter by the 2005 season.

Maddox initially planned to talk to Cowher on Monday, but told his agent he was too upset to meet then. He also wanted to talk to Steelers chairman Dan Rooney or president Art Rooney II about his contract situation, but it is believed Tuesday's meeting was only with Cowher.

Maddox, the 2002 NFL comeback player of the year, is upset because the Steelers indicated to him before the draft they would choose a right tackle and not a quarterback.

Maddox also expected the team would renegotiate his $750,000 salary - currently the lowest for an NFL veteran starting quarterback, but now realizes the addition of Roethlisberger may change that.

With the Steelers already close to the NFL's salary cap and Roethlisberger all but certain to get the richest rookie contract in their history, it is unlikely they can pay Maddox more money.

For now, the Steelers plan to go into the season with Maddox as the starter, though Cowher has not ruled out Roethlisberger starting sometime this season. However, some scouts expect Roethlisberger may take longer to become a starter than either the Giants' Eli Manning or the Chargers' Philip Rivers, the quarterbacks drafted ahead of him.

Despite Maddox's unhappiness, Cowher said he doesn't expect Roethlisberger's presence to affect how Maddox plays or practices. Wide receiver Plaxico Burress also expects Maddox to respond to the competition.

"I've been playing with him for two years now and I pretty much know he'll step up and defend his position," Burress said.

The Steelers have not said what they would do if Maddox, who will be 33 in September, asks to be released to pursue a job with another team. With nearly every NFL team now set at quarterback in advance of training camp, Maddox may not be able to find a team that would let him compete to start.

Even if the Maddox goes into the Steelers' training camp in late July as the starter, Cowher will not promise there won't be a training camp competition.

"I can't tell you right now how that's going to unfold," Cowher said. "I just know that I'm not going to sit here and say we're not going to do something. I'd like to stay open-minded about it and let it play out.

"He (is our incumbent starter; I'm not saying things can't change."

Maddox unexpectedly beat out Kordell Stewart to become the Steelers' starter three games into the 2002 season - 10 years after he was first drafted by Denver - and has held the job since.

Maddox led the Steelers to a 10-5-1 record and the second round of the playoffs that season, throwing for 2,836 yards, 20 touchdowns and 16 interceptions in 13 games. Without the support of an effective running game, Maddox's production dropped last season as the Steelers slumped to a 6-10 record, even though his 3,414 yards passing were the second most in team history.

Nothing too surprising really. Who wants to make odds on Maddox being the starter? What's the O/U for games he starts for Pitt in 2004?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AF » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:54 pm

He was a flash in the pan. I bet this season for Ben goes ALOT like Byron's season last year. Starting by week 4 or 5 and having a decently succesful year.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mannubhai » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:39 pm

Maddox ..back to insurance business..where you truly belong.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby zombiez » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:40 pm

Cant see big Ben starting yet....boys gotta be groomed at the pro level.....Tommy will probably play this season yet...barring poor play or injury......need to get that line in tact before you throw a rookie to the dogs
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:58 pm

And I just read where he was happy to take a lower contract just to play, guess he doesnt want to be a backup. Screw him though, weve got Big Ben. We only need him for another year ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:16 pm

This guy is whining about only getting $750,000 next year? And the best part is he may make most of that while sitting on a bench? Its been awhile since I've read a job description in the classifieds read:

Wanted: Mentor to help young apprentice learn the business. Requires some lifting and working out during the week. Light weekend work required (mostly watching pro football games from the sideline of a brand new stadium). Pays $750,000 a year.

Yes, thats your new job description Maddox. Ask any other American what they think and they will tell you that you are ripping of your employer. So shut up Tommy Boy!
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheHeat24 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:08 pm

I still think he was undeserving of comeback player of the year... Robert Edwards tore the hell out of his knee and came back to have a productive season with the fins... What did maddox do? he played so horribly that he got himself cut a hundred times and came back to respectibility... To me theres no doubt maddox controlled his own fate by playing so bad, edwards had no control over what happened to him... Maddox like AF put it was flash in a pan, if he cant lead an offense with one of the best trios of WR's in the league he doesnt deserve to be playing at the NFL... Can Anyone say Charlie Batch for Starter in 04 ;-)

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:30 am

Zombiez wrote:Cant see big Ben starting yet....boys gotta be groomed at the pro level.....Tommy will probably play this season yet...barring poor play or injury......need to get that line in tact before you throw a rookie to the dogs

You need to explain that one to the Chargers. 8 out of 11 lineman gone, and they only draft 1 Offensive lineman before the 7th round??? Philip Rivers is my leading candidate for the David Carr award this year.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:38 am

Sheesh, you guys are being way too harsh on Maddox. Yes he did have a poor season last year, but 2 years ago, you Pitt fans were all up on him.

The poor guy isnt a fantastic talent, but think how you would feel if you were him. The organization flat out lied to him. The assured him they were going to get a right tackle and not a QB. Was it wrong to draft a QB? No not at all, but dont lie to your starters face and then go behind his back.

Tommy also makes LESS money than his backup Charlie Batch. That is total BS. I dont care how good he is or isnt, but you need to pay a guy who was a 2 year starter more than his backup. The steelers are walking all over this guy and there is no reason to do that. He may have saved some jobs in that organization 2 years ago and now they are all turning their backs on him.

What they should have done was be honest with him. They should have told him that if one of the big 3 were there at #11 they were going to draft him and they would like it if Tommy would be able to help groom him. And if they drafted a QB they were going to drop Batch, and give Tommy a bigger, longer contract to be a backup, after the new QB takes over. Granted not a much bigger contract, but at least a million which is still less than Batch makes.

At that point Maddox would have a decision to make, stay with a team that was open and honest with him and gave him a second chance or go to another team and compete to start.

Now what incentive does Maddox have to stay? Would you really want to groom a kid that just stole your job and an organization who lied to you? Total BS in my opinion
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:45 am

maddog60 wrote:
Zombiez wrote:Cant see big Ben starting yet....boys gotta be groomed at the pro level.....Tommy will probably play this season yet...barring poor play or injury......need to get that line in tact before you throw a rookie to the dogs

You need to explain that one to the Chargers. 8 out of 11 lineman gone, and they only draft 1 Offensive lineman before the 7th round??? Philip Rivers is my leading candidate for the David Carr award this year.

Rivers is gonna be doing his best Patrick Ramsey impersonation all next season... He'll spend 90% of his time picking himself up off the turf...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk