Maddox unhappy in Pittsburgh - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maddox unhappy in Pittsburgh

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:00 am

Flux wrote:The poor guy isnt a fantastic talent, but think how you would feel if you were him. The organization flat out lied to him. The assured him they were going to get a right tackle and not a QB. Was it wrong to draft a QB? No not at all, but dont lie to your starters face and then go behind his back.

NO ONE expected Roethlisberger to fall that far in the draft. I'm sure when they said they weren't gonna be going after a QB, it was because they thought they would be looking at Losman or Schaub...

Flux wrote:Tommy also makes LESS money than his backup Charlie Batch. That is total BS. I dont care how good he is or isnt, but you need to pay a guy who was a 2 year starter more than his backup. The steelers are walking all over this guy and there is no reason to do that. He may have saved some jobs in that organization 2 years ago and now they are all turning their backs on him.

Cry me a river... He should be thanking his lucky stars that he's not working at the local hardware store reminiscing about his old college football days... Remember that although he did well 2 years ago, he was drafted 10 years back... 1 good year out of ten does not put you in a position to be demanding more money... If I only did my job well 10% of the time I would be SOOOO fired... And my boss would damn well laugh his ass off if I asked for a raise...

Flux wrote:Now what incentive does Maddox have to stay? Would you really want to groom a kid that just stole your job and an organization who lied to you? Total BS in my opinion

For three quarters of a million dollars a year, I'll do just about anything... Tommy boy needs to be on his knees kissing the feet of every Steelers exec for giving him one last shot to redeem himself... He was nothing but a distant memory of a busted Denver draft pick until the Steelers gave him his miracle season... But it's over... My advice to Mr Maddox: "Take your seat on the bench, shut the hell up, and count your money... If you don't stop making waves, people are gonna start remembering that YOU SUCK!"

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aussieboy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:47 am

Whether Maddox is crap or not is beside the point here. Fact of the matter is he is being raped up the ass by the Steelers, he virtually played for free for those punks waiting for the day he would be paid. Everyone says they would be happy earning 750k a year sitting on their ass, thats bullcrap, if u were a top athelete first things first u want to play, Maddox has proven this by playing for pittens, second thing you want respect, and respect is reflected in your salary. Being the worst paid starting QB in the NFL and earning less than your punter is downright disrespectful, and that's what Maddox is fundamentally upset about. So maybe a few of you should get off his back, how would you like it if u were being paid a ridiculous fraction of what ur co-worker was earning despite doing at least as good if not better than them. Plindsey would have you believe that he would be more than content since he would be happy just having the job. I think too many people forget that being a pro athelete is a job, sure its a job we would all love to have, but it's still a job and it's not too difficult to argue that the sacrifices these guys make as well as the joy they bring to others ensures they deserve to be paid so much. Now why should Maddox not get his fair share? Hes not the worst QB in the leauge as his salary would suggest. I don't exactly know what i want the Steelers to do here, i don't expect them to give him free money simply for sentiment sake but i wish a few would understand why he is pissed off and not simply basket case him along with the other whingers of the league.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flux » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:54 am

NO ONE expected Roethlisberger to fall that far in the draft. I'm sure when they said they weren't gonna be going after a QB, it was because they thought they would be looking at Losman or Schaub...

Really? Why was it that everyone watching the draft knew that if Ben fell to #11 the Steelers would take him? Why did they have him come in before the draft and meet with them? Oh, i guess its b/c there was no chance of him falling or them trading up...

Cry me a river... He should be thanking his lucky stars that he's not working at the local hardware store reminiscing about his old college football days... Remember that although he did well 2 years ago, he was drafted 10 years back... 1 good year out of ten does not put you in a position to be demanding more money...

Im well aware of what his situation is/was. It doesn't change the fact that its wrong for a backup to be making more than the starter. Not to mention i dont think he was looking for a major pay day. Its not like he was asking for Peyton money. He just shouldn't be making less than a lot of backups.

Don't you think EVERY player in the NFL should be thanking their lucky stars they aren't working at a hardware store and reliving their college days? Every player in the NFL is lucky to be there, not just Tommy.

If I only did my job well 10% of the time I would be SOOOO fired... And my boss would damn well laugh his ass off if I asked for a raise.

Considering Tommy hasn't only played for Pitt, that statement is irrelevant. Since being with the Steelers he has played well enough to warrant the starting spot, and along with that should be starting money...Enough said.

For three quarters of a million dollars a year, I'll do just about anything... Tommy boy needs to be on his knees kissing the feet of every Steelers exec for giving him one last shot to redeem himself... He was nothing but a distant memory of a busted Denver draft pick until the Steelers gave him his miracle season... But it's over... My advice to Mr Maddox: "Take your seat on the bench, shut the hell up, and count your money... If you don't stop making waves, people are gonna start remembering that YOU SUCK!"

He could easily make that elsewhere and sit the bench and be on a team that doesn't lie to him. Im not at all saying he is a Pro-Bowl caliber player, but everyone deserves some respect.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:57 am

Heres the answer

-- Maddox to Get Raise --
Wed Apr 28, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com

The Post-Gazette reports QB Tommy Maddox told Steelers HC Bill Cowher yesterday that he wants to remain with the Steelers and looked forward to keeping his job as their starting quarterback next season, even though they drafted QB Ben Roethlisberger on the first round Saturday. In turn, the Steelers plan a bump in pay this year for Maddox, who is scheduled to make $750,000 in salary, a relatively paltry sum for a third-year starting quarterback in the NFL. The meeting began at 8 a.m. in Cowher's office with the door closed and lasted about 45 minutes. It started out a little rough as Maddox expressed his views on his situation and the fact he felt he was led to believe he would receive a pay increase long ago. By the end, the coach and his quarterback parted on good terms. It was described as a "classy" get-together between the two. Maddox then went downstairs at the Steelers' headquarters for a workout. Dan Rooney later saw Maddox and said hello to him, but the two did not talk about the quarterback's contract.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:02 am

Wow, there seems to be so much of this: "<insert name here> should just be happy he's plaing football, and not complain about <insert topic of debate>." How quickly people forget that the NFL isn't all fun and games, its a business, its a career, and not a career that can last for your entire lifetime, so you have to make all the money you need for life essentially before you're 40 if not sooner.

While many of us may be awed at the prospect of earning 750,000, the fact is that Maddox is the lowest paid starting QB, and paid less than his backup. Do you not think a business exec ould be furious if his secretary made more money than him? And rightfully so. Maddox's role with the Steelers is more important than Charlie Batch's, yet he gets less pay. He does his job better than other QBs in the league (I'll go easy on last year's rookies and single out Quincy Carter instead). Yet, he receives less pay than any starting QB. He has every right to be upset, b/c he did his job and wants to be paid based on how well he did it, not just the minimum wage for his profession.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sinnlos26 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:02 pm

maddog60 wrote:Wow, there seems to be so much of this: "<insert name here> should just be happy he's plaing football, and not complain about <insert topic of debate>." How quickly people forget that the NFL isn't all fun and games, its a business, its a career, and not a career that can last for your entire lifetime, so you have to make all the money you need for life essentially before you're 40 if not sooner.

While many of us may be awed at the prospect of earning 750,000, the fact is that Maddox is the lowest paid starting QB, and paid less than his backup. Do you not think a business exec ould be furious if his secretary made more money than him? And rightfully so. Maddox's role with the Steelers is more important than Charlie Batch's, yet he gets less pay. He does his job better than other QBs in the league (I'll go easy on last year's rookies and single out Quincy Carter instead). Yet, he receives less pay than any starting QB. He has every right to be upset, b/c he did his job and wants to be paid based on how well he did it, not just the minimum wage for his profession.

i agree with everything you said, maddog; even if the plan is to release him within 2 years, we shouldnt mock him and pay him less than his backup. that, IMO is just wrong.
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:10 pm

When Maddox was signed, he was signed as a backup remember. And coming off the insurance business, so we werent about to give him the big money. Now he will probably be pushed back to backup after his contract is up sconsidering Big Ben is there. He signed a contract knowing he was a backup, and due to kordell's performance and all that he started. Everyone knew he was a backup when he signed, and now that he got his chance everyone is complaining his contract is too low, its like a backups. That's because it is a backup's. I feel bad, but he should stick with his contract, he signed it.
And Batch isnt too shabby himself on a side note
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sinnlos26 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:18 pm

Still, though, they're paying Batch more to sit on the bench and watch than they are Maddox to be on the field playing; if he is now the starting QB, for a bit at least, should his pay not reflect that? Not saying Batch is good or bad, I cant say I've seen him play much, but really... They pay Maddox less to get beaten up than they do to let Batch cut his fingernails on the sideline.
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:24 pm

sinnlos26 wrote:Still, though, they're paying Batch more to sit on the bench and watch than they are Maddox to be on the field playing; if he is now the starting QB, for a bit at least, should his pay not reflect that? Not saying Batch is good or bad, I cant say I've seen him play much, but really... They pay Maddox less to get beaten up than they do to let Batch cut his fingernails on the sideline.

But my whole point is that it is his contract. They signed him to it. Sure he deserves more, but should it be changed after the deal is down and signed? No. HE is the one who signed it, HE should take its affects, not matter how unfair it is.

As far as Batch goes, the only reason he is getting more is because he is in the last year of his short term contract, not because they signed him for more or anything.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:27 pm

maddog60 wrote:Wow, there seems to be so much of this: "<insert name here> should just be happy he's plaing football, and not complain about <insert topic of debate>." How quickly people forget that the NFL isn't all fun and games, its a business, its a career, and not a career that can last for your entire lifetime, so you have to make all the money you need for life essentially before you're 40 if not sooner.

Did you see Maddox play last year? He was terrible, with those kinds of weapons he should be a top 5 QB in the AFC. He is not making a penny less than he deserves.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk