Maddox unhappy in Pittsburgh - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maddox unhappy in Pittsburgh

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby sinnlos26 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:30 pm

NittanyLions wrote:
But my whole point is that it is his contract. They signed him to it. Sure he deserves more, but should it be changed after the deal is down and signed? No. HE is the one who signed it, HE should take its affects, not matter how unfair it is.

As far as Batch goes, the only reason he is getting more is because he is in the last year of his short term contract, not because they signed him for more or anything.

Still though, arent there pay raises?? I heard he was getting one, yeah, but really whats the point here? Hes unhappy here, or was, until he got his salary raised. Without a QB, you have no team. With a pissed off QB, you have an unstable team. Yes, he signed on as a backup, but has since taken the wheel of the team. Pilots in flight school, or in their first jobs, earn less than their industrious counterparts who work for the major airlines; Backups earn less than starters. He took over the position of starting QB, so his salary should have changed as his position did.
My opinion anyway...

I'm not a Maddox lover; I was really pleased to see us draft Big Ben, but... i dont know. call it a techincality.
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:36 pm

Its a contract, you get pay raises, but you dont sign a contract for your salary or you wouldnt be getting a raise. Its different, its a contract. He led this team to one decent season, he was not a great QB yet, and sucked last year. Having top WRs helps a ton for any QB. And our future doesnt lie within Maddox, without him we still have a QB. If he gets pissed off its his fault, and doesnt make good for his rep. He should be talking like Portis did, Portis wasnt going to hold out, and he was a lot more valuable, good, and younger. Quite frankly, I'm not sure having Batch for a year before Big Ben comes in would be so bad. Maddox isnt the leader of this team, hell he wont even be a starter in all likelihood in a year.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sinnlos26 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:48 pm

I agree, I'd like to see what to expect from Batch should he take over for Maddox. Maddox is more of a sentimental favorite, kind of like Mario Lemieux when he came back. He was good for about a year, then he sucked. (hmm, similarities) Yeah, Mario was the owner of his team, or something to that affect, so he could dole himself out what he wanted. Maddox came in and took over for the rest of the '02 season... I think he should have been recognized for that. Now, being under the cap constraints we are, paying Maddox more isnt likely, but I was primarily talking in the past. He consented to take a paycut this offseason, everyone applauded his antics with that, but then asking for it again, I dont agree. Still, I was referring to the past, and could almost care less what he gets paid now, so long as he doesnt make us suck.

Also, I know the difference between a contract and a salary; lets not insult my intelligence and stick to the subject at hand, alright?
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Canacuna » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:53 pm

If Tommy Maddox were part of the Steelers future, I'd probably give him a contract worth more than the veteran's minimum (although not by much - he was horrible last year). However, since he's not and will probably be gone within the next two years, he can complain all he wants for all I care.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:54 pm

Heh, sorry. And Yes Lemieux is the Pen's owner or partial, but anyway I still dont agree with you about the past, it was only one year and only his second year in his contract, in which he still wasnt exactly great. And he did get recognized...he won the Comeback of he Year award ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sinnlos26 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:57 pm

I meant recognized in his paycheck, but I agree, Canacuna, whine all you want, I dont care this year. Seems like he was taken advantage of, thats all.

oh, 'salright about my intelligence. I know you're dumber anyway ;-)
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:16 pm

Steeler Fans shouldnt want Batch anywhere near the field. He was an old rookie who had a good yr with the Lions who promptly signed him for waaaaayy too much money and shipped him out. He is undersized, lacks technical skills, and plays with his "heart" :-o - that's scout talk for "only if you're desperate"
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Canacuna » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:09 pm

Here's something from ProFootballTalk.com...

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:MADDOX STAYING, BUT COWHER IS THE KEY

In a move that harkens to the Bradshaw-Hanratty-Gilliam quarterback clusterfudge that nearly hampered the franchise from nabbing four Lombardis in a six-year span, the Steelers will be keeping quarterback Tommy Maddox -- and they plan to give him a raise.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, that was the end result of a 45-minute meeting between Maddox and coach Bill Cowher on Tuesday morning.

Maddox, who is scheduled to earn $750,000 in 2004, will get a new contract most likely after June 1, when the Steelers release linebacker Jason Gildon.

More cap room also will be created when either Charlie Batch or Brian St. Pierre are released. Batch, who was signed two years ago but who has been lost in the shuffle ever since, is more likely to get the boot, if for no reason other than the fact that he is earning $1 million a year.

If Maddox stays, he shouldn't be anything more than a Jon Kitna-type starter -- a guy who's keeping the chair warm until the rookie is ready to go. In fact, our preference is to throw Roethlisberger into the fray right away, since baptism by fire seems to be the quickest way to move a young quarterback to his full potential.

To make it work over the next few years, Maddox must buy in to his role as (perhaps) a short-term starter and then a permanent backup. And coach Cowher must avoid the temptation to play musical chairs with his signal-callers, as he has done with Mike Tomczak and Kordell Stewart and Kent Graham and Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox over the past eight seasons.

We're generally pleased with the addition of Roethlisberger (despite that pre-draft ESPN piece in which he comes off at times as a thick-headed buffoon), and we've been clamoring for the Steelers to burn a first-round pick on a quarterback because the team needs to put the ball into one guy's hands and leave it there for more than 16 straight games.

The real question now that they've used a high-level pick on a quarterback is whether they'll indeed give him every opportunity to develop into the long-term answer.

The irony in Pittsburgh is that ownership has shown unflagging loyalty to its two head coaches over the last four decades, but those two head coaches generally have shown none to their starting quarterbacks. In the salary-cap era, Terry Bradshaw might have been cut before finding his groove in 1974. This time around, Bill Cowher needs to hand the ball to Roethlisberger and allow him to provide the stability and continuity that the franchise has lacked at the position since Bradshaw retired.

The problem, of course, is that Cowher's self-preservation instinct might prevent him from risking a slow acclimation period with Roethlisberger, especially since Cowher has, for the first time in his career with the Steelers, only two seasons left on his contract.

So perhaps the more important contract at the outset of the Roethlisberger era isn't Maddox's, but Cowher's. Because absent an extension for the coach, there's a good chance that the young quarterback might be on a short leash, which as we see it would contradict the very reasons for drafting him.
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:01 pm

If he is the starter this year, then he deserves more. But maybe his agent is to blame - why wasn't his contract more incentive laden so his salary was based on performance.

One thing that always burns my butt - whenever a player has a good season (doesn't exactly apply here, but he did have a good 2002), they want to renegotiate their contract - what would the reaction be if everytime they had a bad season the team wanted to renegotiate and pay them les?????
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Canacuna » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:42 pm

stomperrob wrote:One thing that always burns my butt - whenever a player has a good season (doesn't exactly apply here, but he did have a good 2002), they want to renegotiate their contract - what would the reaction be if everytime they had a bad season the team wanted to renegotiate and pay them les?????

...One of the better scenes in Mr. Deeds...
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk