Kerry Collins and other news - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kerry Collins and other news

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kerry Collins and other news

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:52 pm

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2357476 wrote:Alex Spanos, owner of the San Diego Chargers, took another hit last week. Archie Manning, after visiting with son Dean Spanos and other top club executives, wasn't convinced that the Chargers could or would alter their stumbling ways. So, Archie told them not to draft his son, Eli, the highest-rated quarterback on most draft boards.

The Chargers did anyway, and ended up with a better trade deal with the New York Giants for Manning than they had prior to the draft. Granted, it was a huge gamble on San Diego's part, but by holding firm they at least showed their fans they wouldn't be bullied. They may even be prepared to remain in San Diego, considering their stadium negotiations have improved.

Granted, the Chargers have some ugly history with college quarterbacks, dating back to the Ryan Leaf saga in 1998. Since that year, the Chargers have gone six straight seasons without a winning record and a cumulative record that is 34 games below .500. They have now traded away the rights to Michael Vick and Manning, and what a heavy burden that is.

But in this latest case at least they can debate with their fans that Manning, even if he turns out to be another Peyton, would have been impossible to sign. And if North Carolina State's Phillip Rivers proves to be a quality starter, General Manager A.J. Smith and coach Marty Schottenheimer could end up having the last laugh.

"This didn't turn out too badly for them," said a rival general manager. "Rivers is more prepared to start than any of the quarterbacks drafted. If they can keep him healthy, and that's a big if, they might be competitive."

Still, the national perception of the Spanos family is not a good one. And what Archie did, by rejecting them, brought attention to a franchise that can't seem to escape its black cloud.

Kerry's destination?

Wouldn't it be funny if the San Diego Chargers made a pitch for Giants starter Kerry Collins? He would be an upgrade over Drew Brees and Doug Flutie. But the teams probably considering Collins are the Baltimore Ravens (where ex-coach Jim Fassel is a consultant), Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals and New Orleans Saints. All four teams could use a quality veteran based on the shaky predicament of their current youngsters.

Kerry Collins could help teams looking for a veteran signal caller.
Getty Images

The 49ers, who should be interested, claim that they are not. And the Raiders won't be unless they decide to dump Rich Gannon, who will be 39 this season.

I was considering the Detroit Lions, but they seem committed to Joey Harrington and fear that he would lose his confidence if they even considered someone like Collins. Still, when he's not making bad decisions, Collins is one of the strongest passers in the NFL.

Although the Giants seemed destined to end up with Manning, especially after his father's attitude, the team did consider, for about five minutes, selecting Ben Roethlisberger with their fourth overall selection when they were on the clock. They were talking with the Cleveland Browns and if they swapped first-round picks with Butch Davis, they would have taken Big Ben at seven.

Bills stick with Drew

By renegotiating his contract, Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe guaranteed himself to be the starting QB despite the team's dramatic trade to acquire Tulane's J.P. Losman with the Dallas Cowboys' first-round pick. Losman, whose arm and wrist have been compared favorably to Brett Favre's, figures to be Buffalo's future starter.

Losman, with coaches like Tom Clements and Sam Wyche on Mike Mularkey's staff, will receive the proper attention to some of his fundamental flaws. Like Favre, he has a penchant, because of his arm strength, to release a pass without setting his feet. Still, many scouts who witnessed his New Orleans workout thought he was more impressive than Manning.

Notes & thoughts

Both the Chiefs and the Patriots claim they got the second-best tight end in the draft. However, the Pats claim that Georgia's Ben Watson ran a 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds for them. That time was faster than some wide receivers taken in the first round. The Chiefs, though, will use Kris Wilson as a true H-back.

Everyone is saying the Eagles reached on 370-pound Shawn Andrews, who simply muscled pass rushers in the SEC. However, if Andrews learns some toughness from Jon Runyan while playing guard, he will one day end up as a quality tackle.

The Pats wanted guards Vernon Carey and Chris Snee, which means the Dolphins and Giants were smart to draft them. The word is that Snee may end up marrying his coach's daughter, Katie, which is good news in the Tom Coughlin family. However, it may not be a good thing in the Giants' locker room for the kid.

I personally like Matt Millen, so I find it humorous that all these writers who believe he should have been fired a year or two ago are now praising his most recent draft. In fact, Millen has had two straight good ones. Oklahoma LB Teddy Lehman is simply a very solid player and tackler, a faster version of Chris Spielman.

The Cowboys thought both Steven Jackson and Julius Jones were great kids and hard workers. They selected Jones because he physically has no blemishes.

The Raiders would still like to make a trade for Larry Allen.

Western Michigan's Jason Babin is a perfect fit as a rush linebacker in Dom Capers' 3-4 Houston alignment. Babin is very quick and tough.

Despite his DUI offenses and penchant for beer, Purdue safety Stuart Schweigert has 4.45 speed and fits a huge need for the Raiders. He was a four-year starter.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mannubhai » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:52 pm

Collins in Baltimore would be great for us.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Great Gambini » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:57 pm

Good find KG...Collins would seem like a good fit in Oakland.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CinemaFreak » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:48 am

A little snip from NFL.com. We could use an upgrade, however small, at QB till Henson gets up to speed. I see Collins and Testaverde as options for the boys!

But a place I would keep an eye on when Collins is set free is Dallas. I'm pretty sure they have had their eye on Testaverde, who will be free after June 1, but this is a whole different deal. Can you imagine the Cowboys coming into New York to play the Giants with Collins at the helm? Sean Payton is the assistant head coach in Dallas and has a good relationship with Collins from their time together in New York. Their young quarterback, Drew Henson, will not be ready in 2004. And how long do you think Bill Parcells wants to wait around to get the winning started? As one NFC coach said to me, "They went 10-6 last year, and if they get a repeat performance by everyone with the addition of Collins, Julius Jones and Keyshawn Johnson, they have a chance at 11 or 12 wins."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/7287941
CinemaFreak Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

A Heap of Good News?

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:08 am

If Collins ends up in Baltimore, Heap moves into the #1 TE position in my book. Gonzo is great, no question, but I see less injury potential for Collins/Heap than Green/Gonzo and Collins will be more dependent on Heap than Green will be on Gonzo.

Considering that most people will still rate Gonzo #1, Heap becomes a value pick (especially in leagues where Sharpe and Shockey go ahead of him.)
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby aussieboy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:23 am

If Collins ends up in Baltimore, Heap moves into the #1 TE position in my book.

your kidding right? but in the off-chance ur not, could u explain why Heap is the number 1 TE? I mean apart from your injury theory.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: A Heap of Good News?

Postby MCG321 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:33 pm

DraftDodger wrote:If Collins ends up in Baltimore, Heap moves into the #1 TE position in my book. Gonzo is great, no question, but I see less injury potential for Collins/Heap than Green/Gonzo and Collins will be more dependent on Heap than Green will be on Gonzo.

Considering that most people will still rate Gonzo #1, Heap becomes a value pick (especially in leagues where Sharpe and Shockey go ahead of him.)

Wouldn't he just back up Boller if he goes to Baltimore?
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:10 pm

Here's something from ProFootballTalk.com...

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:NINERS, RAIDERS CRAZY FOR COLLINS

Word around the league is that the primary suitors for soon-to-be-former Giants quarterback Kerry Collins are the San Francisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders.

Collins refused on Monday to reduce his $7 million salary for 2004, which means that he'll be cut loose by the team in the near future. Because Collins is in the final year of his contract, the team realizes no cap savings by delaying his release until after June 1.

The 49ers' interest in Collins isn't surprising, given that the team currently has Tim Rattay penciled in at the top of the depth chart. The Niners cut Jeff Garcia when he refused to swallow a major pay cut for the coming year.

The Raiders' interest in Collins is a bit more surprising. Owner Al Davis supposedly intends to keep 2002 MVP Rich Gannon, and Marques Tuiasosopo showed flashes of potential before an injury knocked him out for the balance of the 2003 season.

In the end, Collins might have made more money by taking a pay cut and staying with the Giants. But his objective apparently is to have a chance to start, both in 2004 and beyond. In New York, the investment that the team has made in rookie Eli Manning means that Collins simply has no chance.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:28 pm

Just read on SI, it's official NYG have released Collins.....I thought they were going to wait. Would post the link, but too lazy right now.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Canacuna » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:33 pm

Buckychudd wrote:Just read on SI, it's official NYG have released Collins.....I thought they were going to wait. Would post the link, but too lazy right now.

I gotcha covered, y0.

SI - Collins cut by Giants
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to Football Talk