Draft strategy question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft strategy question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft strategy question

Postby Trap » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:54 pm

Ive been asked to join a new league that is a little different than what I am used to so I'm here asking for draft strategy. In this league you start:

1 QB
2 RB
4 WR
1 D
1 K

There are also bonuses for length of touchdowns, etc.

This may not seem all that difficult to you but Ive always played with only 2 WR and 1 TE and I knew the value of WR's compared to the rest of the draft (IE.. RB's > WR's). Now that I must start 4 should that affect my drafting strategy at all?

Thanks.
Trap

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:26 pm

I would still secure RBs first, followed by WRs. Make sure youve got your 2 starting RBs, then attack WR, and grab a backup WR. Your strategy reflects the league size though...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:28 pm

First of all - have you put through last yrs stats through your league setting to determine value?

I imagine that with bonuses put in for big plays, guys like Moss and C. Johnson might actually be even more valuable than they already are. Similarly, you should look to target RBs that may get more big plays than the avg RB. R. Williams 3 yds and a cloud of dust style probably would be less valuable than a Portis quick strike style from last yr.

If you take anything from this, input sample stats into your scoring system - thats important in leagues where scoring is a bit funky.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Trap » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:47 pm

Thats all great advice. The league has some oddball rules and I'm pretty sure I can do well if I go in with a sound strategy. I was given access to last years website and while I cannot see the draft there are some teams that wont even be a challenge for me based on their year end team.

I think I have a good shot at taking it which is why I joined. The ruleset isnt ideal in my eyes but if winning it pays for my other leagues Ill be happy. Its only a ten team league so the draft should be fairly easy. I was looking for sound advice and so far so good.
Trap

Friendliness: %

Postby CC » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:09 pm

RBs are still the most important players but I would still look at Moss with the 9 or 10 pick.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:59 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:First of all - Similarly, you should look to target RBs that may get more big plays than the avg RB. R. Williams 3 yds and a cloud of dust style probably would be less valuable than a Portis quick strike style from last yr.

Preist Holmes isnt exactly a rb with homerun hitting speed, are you gonna lower his grade... The question is how much is the bonus and for what amount of yards... But with a potentially better and more athletic Oline look for Ricky to break more long runs. Further to my point Deuce McAllister had more long runs than LT would you take him first...

The point is RB is an extremely important position and you still need to get good ones early, I think Moss and C Job have as much value in ur league as runningbacks 10 and below simply becasue of the fact you start 4...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk