Collins Officially Cut - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Collins Officially Cut

Moderator: Football Moderators

Collins Officially Cut

Postby Flux » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:49 pm

Nothing unexpected

ESPN.com news services
NEW YORK -- Kerry Collins is no longer a member of the New York Giants. In what was hardly a surprise, the Giants released the veteran quarterback on Wednesday.

Collins, who took the Giants to the 2001 Super Bowl, said his goodbyes Monday after five years with the team. Collins' days in New York became numbered when the Giants acquired Eli Manning in a draft-day trade on Saturday.

"Unfortunately, the economics of the system we work in today determine these most difficult decisions," Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi said on Wednesday. "For me, I felt a personal identification with Kerry, and I will miss him."

Manning's salary made it almost impossible for the team to have cap room for two highly-paid quarterbacks. Collins was scheduled to earn $7 million next season, but would have cost the Giants $8.95 million of the $80.6 million salary cap.

During his meeting with Accorsi on Monday, Collins said he would not renegotiate his contract.

"I figured there was no reason to hang around," Collins told The Associated Press.

Accorsi denied he suggested the quarterback take a pay cut, as Collins asserted.

"He may have misunderstood," Accorsi said, adding that the restructuring would have involved turning some of the salary into a signing bonus and adding "voidable years" that Collins would almost surely opt out of.

Another factor: Collins' impression that new coach Tom Coughlin seemed ready to make Manning the starter almost immediately.

"Ernie told me that he felt Eli was one of the three or four best college quarterbacks he's seen in the last 20 years," Collins said. "Someone like Elway or Marino. Someone like that."

Collins was the first draft pick ever of the Carolina Panthers in 1995 and quarterbacked them to the NFC championship game in their second season in the league.

But two years later, plagued by problems with alcohol, he walked into the office of coach Dom Capers and said he had to quit. The Panthers released him and he was picked up for the rest of the season by New Orleans.

The Giants signed him in 1999, and they helped rehabilitate his life and career. He started seven games that season. The next, Collins led them to the NFC championship, throwing for 381 yards and five touchdowns in a 41-0 win over Minnesota in the conference title game.

In the Super Bowl two weeks later, he was 15-of-39 for 112 yards with four interceptions in a 34-7 loss to Baltimore. That contrast typifies Collins -- he is among the best in the game when protected, but limited by a lack of mobility and vulnerable to pressure.

Still, he started 67 straight games before spraining his ankle last season, when the Giants' horrible offensive line was the main factor in their 4-12 finish.

That finish put them in position to have a shot at Manning because it gave them the fourth overall pick in the draft.

Neil O'Donnell has drawn interest from the Giants as a replacement to Collins and backup/tutor/mentor to Manning. According to the New York Post, the Giants inquired about O'Donnell last weekend in the hours after trading for Manning.

"Neil is intrigued and flattered; they think highly of him," O'Donnell's agent, Steve Rosner, told the Post.

O'Donnell's career was thought to be over once he was released by the Titans late in training camp last year. But with Steve McNair and Billy Volek out with injuries, Tennessee was desperate for a QB and wound up signing O'Donnell, who started the team's regular-season finale and threw for 232 yards and two scores.

O'Donnell, a 15-year veteran, turns 38 on July 3.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:58 pm

Who'll sign him?

I think San Fran would be the best fit.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:23 pm

personally i think i would have kept eli on the bench for a year, or at least give him the chance to be the #2 if things dont go well.

i wouldnt expect very much from him in year one...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:33 pm

Beans I was also thinking San Fran because if Rattay struggles collins has more than enough arm to run the system they are going to be running. My other thoughts were Detroit in case Harrington doesnt show any promise... and mayb Dallas in order for Henson to get back into the swing of things before becoming their big time play caller...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:45 pm

I don't really want Kerry in San Fran. Given that he does have a good arm, but he is a career fumbler and without protection (which he might not have in SF) he is a sack/INT waiting to happen. He's in the Bledsoe/Couch mold in my book.

I'd rather the Niners stay young this year, but he might end up a better option than Rattay if he falters.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:46 pm

San Francisco drafted Cody Pickett, y0. No other QBs are necessary. ;-7

Anyway, hopefully he'll find a place where he can start, like Dallas or maybe even Oakland if Rich Gannon's shoulder isn't healthy (they've been taking just about everyone over the age of 30 this offseason, why not Collins?).
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Johnny Ballgame » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:46 pm

I would have to think Dallas would have to take a hard look at this guy. Quincy - not good. Drew - even worse! When you can't beat out Quincy freakin' Carter for the starting spot you know you aren't great. Drew was actually not looked upon that well in camp in NFL Europe for pete's sake. I just don't see either of those guys being a long term answer. Collins isn't either but he could give them another 2 years and they could draft their QB of the future next year.

Just my thoughts.
"You using the whole fist there doc?" - Irwin M. Fletcher
Johnny Ballgame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Canacuna » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:49 pm

Johnny Ballgame wrote:I would have to think Dallas would have to take a hard look at this guy. Quincy - not good. Drew - even worse! When you can't beat out Quincy freakin' Carter for the starting spot you know you aren't great. Drew was actually not looked upon that well in camp in NFL Europe for pete's sake. I just don't see either of those guys being a long term answer. Collins isn't either but he could give them another 2 years and they could draft their QB of the future next year.

Just my thoughts.

Do you mean Chad? Chad Hutchinson is in Europe right now, sucking it up and formerly competed with Quincy Carter for the starting job. Drew is Drew Henson - the Cowboys planned QB of the future. He was the guy from Michigan who would have been a top pick a few years ago had he not joined the Yankees. He was recently traded from Houston, who acquired his rights by taking him in the sixth round of last years' draft while he was still a member of the Yankees.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Johnny Ballgame » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:05 pm

Canacuna wrote:
Johnny Ballgame wrote:I would have to think Dallas would have to take a hard look at this guy. Quincy - not good. Drew - even worse! When you can't beat out Quincy freakin' Carter for the starting spot you know you aren't great. Drew was actually not looked upon that well in camp in NFL Europe for pete's sake. I just don't see either of those guys being a long term answer. Collins isn't either but he could give them another 2 years and they could draft their QB of the future next year.

Just my thoughts.

Do you mean Chad? Chad Hutchinson is in Europe right now, sucking it up and formerly competed with Quincy Carter for the starting job. Drew is Drew Henson - the Cowboys planned QB of the future. He was the guy from Michigan who would have been a top pick a few years ago had he not joined the Yankees. He was recently traded from Houston, who acquired his rights by taking him in the sixth round of last years' draft while he was still a member of the Yankees.[/quote

My bad - good call! Although as far as I'm concerned you might as well call them Drew Hutchinson because they are both the same player! Two QB's who went for the greener pastures of the Majors and decided they wanted to go back to football when they figured out they both sucked at baseball. I don't think Drew will do any better than Chad. Besides - I'm a huge Buckeye fan so it is impossible for me to root for Drew Henson! Thanks for the catch though.
"You using the whole fist there doc?" - Irwin M. Fletcher
Johnny Ballgame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:37 pm

I like Kerry of course, and I'd like him to succeed somewhere. SF doesnt want him, Erickson said he didnt want anyone else to bud in. He could do well in OAK or DAL, but I dont want him there...

Man this is dumb, Eli is screwed (or maybe the Giants) if he doesnt pull through. He officially is set up to be a huge bust and turn NYG into SD !+)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk