Favre Calls Out McKenzie - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favre Calls Out McKenzie

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby NittanyLions » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:33 pm

Favre is a great leader and I used to like him. This is what you want in locker rooms and what makes a future HOFer...I hold a grudge against him though, ever since that night in oakland cost me the championship
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:52 pm

First let me say that I like the fact that a player would give an unscripted answer, I bore so easily at the cliched responses given by athletes.
That said I wonder if Favre, in wanting to please the media, has forgotten how that may be recieved by McKenzie. After all, Farve is basically calling McKenzie out in public on a matter that is really not his business. That isn't Farve's money or future their talking about and McKenzie may just be posturing to cut hmself a better deal. And as much as I hate to see it, threats and holdouts are a players only tools in the cut-throat business of the NFL.
A better choice could have been to talk to McKenzie in person and off the record. Spouting off in public on someone elses business shows that Farve may be more concerned in his own image and not in helping the team. That's my dos pesos, as unpopular an opinion as it may be.
Farve shut your trap and worry more about throwing the ball to the guys with a G on their helmets. That will help your team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby TheHeat24 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:03 pm

Harsh moochman... Like Favre said and this is an opinion of my own not just taken from this article... If you signed a damn contract you signed it full well knowing how much money you would be making... I hate McKenzie with a passion but i feel like this about almost all players holding out. Duce Staley last year especially cuz he wasnt even the best rb on the team and he had never played a full season...

Id also like to add that I will never forget the time TO dragged McKenzie down the field on one of his receptions... He absolutely made Mike his b*tch... You know which one im talkin about, I think he did the pom pom dance right after it.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:20 pm

You know, Heat, when you sign a contract not only do you know how much you will make but also how long you'll be employed. That is unless you're working in the NFL. You can sign a contract that for $X amount over Y years, get injured and have your boss tear it up and leave you on your a**. If a player feels he is underpaid his only recourse is to renegoiate his contract and that demands a holdout or threat of holdout, demands to be traded, etc.
But that is beside the point, which was that Favre has no business calling him out in public. He looks like he is either showboating or has become so enamored with the mic that he's lost focus. As the leader of his team he should be concerned with team unity, and choosing to side with MANAGMENT instead of fellow players would alienate McKenzie for sure and maybe cast a cloud of distrust amoungst his other teammates. Favre screwed up spouting off about it, to paraphrase him in his commercials "I would've said "I hope this can get settled soon and that things work out well for McKenzie"

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sat May 01, 2004 4:09 pm

moochman wrote:
But that is beside the point, which was that Favre has no business calling him out in public. He looks like he is either showboating or has become so enamored with the mic that he's lost focus. As the leader of his team he should be concerned with team unity, and choosing to side with MANAGMENT instead of fellow players would alienate McKenzie for sure and maybe cast a cloud of distrust amoungst his other teammates. Favre screwed up spouting off about it, to paraphrase him in his commercials "I would've said "I hope this can get settled soon and that things work out well for McKenzie"

Have you ever been on a team with a selfish, individual-driven person? I have and I took the same stance as Favre. Team unity? It seems like what you advocate is that the players run the league. But that is not the case they work for their organizations. If McKenzie keeps this up, team production goes down, he doesnt get paid, he alienates himself from almost all of his teammates, and all for what?

To get respect? Get paid what he is worth? Enlarge his ego? To show how powerful he is? Why.....?

Priest Holmes did this last year here in Kansas CIty, and I lost a TON of respect for him as a man, football abilities notwithstanding. He signed a deal, and when he decided he didnt think the money was congruent to his production, he whined and pissed and moaned till he got his way. It was the one tiem Carl Peterson got jacked around by a player....thats one thing I LOVE about him, he takes no crap form players. KC took Holmes off the bench in BALT and gave him a job, and he signs a commited deal, and then he thinks that the minute he decides he wants a new deal, he gets it? How representative is that of some parts of society, think the world owes them everything...

Why even have contracts if players wont honor them?

I am with Favre and would say what he said and more in public, to any player who wont honor a contract.
Arrowhead Nation
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sun May 02, 2004 10:47 am

[quote="kevinashcraft"]Have you ever been on a team with a selfish, individual-driven person? I have and I took the same stance as Favre. Team unity? It seems like what you advocate is that the players run the league. But that is not the case they work for their organizations. If McKenzie keeps this up, team production goes down, he doesnt get paid, he alienates himself from almost all of his teammates, and all for what?

To get respect? Get paid what he is worth? Enlarge his ego? To show how powerful he is? Why.....?

Priest Holmes did this last year here in Kansas CIty, and I lost a TON of respect for him as a man, football abilities notwithstanding. He signed a deal, and when he decided he didnt think the money was congruent to his production, he whined and pissed and moaned till he got his way. quote]

Nice example with Priest. They gave him a chance and he out performed the contract that they had agreed to. He, like McKenzie, understand the nature of the NFL is that your career is very short and your employer will terminate a contract the moment the think you're overpaid. This is the same contract that you think the players should honor? Do you think Priest is worth the money in his new contract? His team does, but they wouldn't have offered to give it to him any more than they will honor his contract if he fails to produce. Threat of holdouts is one of the few negotiating tools players have. Once the team decided to say no to what ever McKenzie issue was, he chose to hold out. The damage was done, and done by management and the way they conduct their business. Favre should have known that. Favre over stepped his boundry when he decided act as a GM and not as a player.
As far as the damage that may come from McKenzie's dispute, how is calling him out in public going to help? That's the crux of my arguement, that Favre is doing more damage to his team by this, which makes me wonder why did it. I think Favre is in love with himself and this was one more way for him to get in the limelight and look like a "leader". He is starting to schmooze the way to his after football career.
How did that work out with your team, BTW? Did the disgruntled player come back into the fold with your urging? Was he happy and productive? Did he get a new contract or settle for his old money?

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheHeat24 » Sun May 02, 2004 11:26 am

Mooch obviously feels so passionate about this subject because he is a lions fan and favre is a packer....

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Sun May 02, 2004 11:30 am

I don't really see how you can call Favre classless, as he has been one of the most classy guys in the league his whole career.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon May 03, 2004 1:14 pm

Favre is just about the antithesis of classless. In 13 years, he's never missed a game despite injury or family issues. How many of us could even imagine not missing a day of work? Also, I remember an article in the beginning of last year's season about Favre. It mentioned how he took a pay cut so the Packers could keep the QB coach (I believe it was Holgrem). Now that is what I would call putting the team above yourself.

As for the comment about Favre trying to get into an after football career with the media. He certainly didn't need this. His Monday Morning QB commercial I think will have opened many more doors. As it is, Favre has that kind of charisma that is as is his contribution to football, priceless.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Buckychudd » Mon May 03, 2004 2:17 pm

moochman wrote:You know, Heat, when you sign a contract not only do you know how much you will make but also how long you'll be employed. That is unless you're working in the NFL. You can sign a contract that for $X amount over Y years, get injured and have your boss tear it up and leave you on your a**. If a player feels he is underpaid his only recourse is to renegoiate his contract and that demands a holdout or threat of holdout, demands to be traded, etc.

This is the point of what McKenzie is doing. The contracts in the NFL are unfairly one-sided. Players commit to the length of the contract, but do not get that same commitment from the team in return.

This incents players to live in the now and get as much money as you can, since your future is NOT guarenteed. If your team is not going to commit to you......why should you make sacrifices for them?
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk