Cowboys looking to trade Hambrick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cowboys looking to trade Hambrick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cowboys looking to trade Hambrick

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:25 pm

Source: Dallas Morning News

Cowboys are looking into trade possibilities for Hambrick

With Julius Jones slated to be No. 1 back, veteran is expendable

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys want to trade Troy Hambrick, who failed in his bid to succeed Emmitt Smith as the club's featured running back, his agent said Thursday.

The Cowboys have had trade discussions with three teams, including Oakland, about acquiring Hambrick. The Raiders signed Steelers free agent Amos Zereoue on Thursday.

"I think that's something they're trying to look at," said Jordan Woy, Hambrick's Dallas-based agent. "I've talked to coach [Bill] Parcells, and we're still not sure exactly what's going to happen. Would he like to stay with the Dallas Cowboys? Yes. But if he's not going to be given a real opportunity to compete, it's in his best interests to play somewhere else."

Hambrick, a restricted free agent, has not signed the $628,000 contract that the Cowboys have tendered him. He is the club's only restricted free agent not under contract.

Club spokesman Rich Dalrymple declined to comment, citing the team's policy about commenting on potential trades.

Hambrick led the Cowboys with 972 yards and five touchdowns last season, but averaged only 3.5 yards per carry. He had only three runs longer than 20 yards.

Still, he had three 100-yard games, including a 189-yard performance in a December win over Washington, the third highest total in franchise history.

But Hambrick will turn 28 in November, and the Cowboys would be looking for a younger, more versatile backup for Julius Jones.

Besides, Parcells wants his backup running backs to be contributors on special teams. Hambrick was a good special teams player early in his Dallas career, but he wasn't as effective in 2002 and he didn't play special teams in 2003 because of his duties at tailback.

Getting in shape: Coach Bill Parcells has told owner Jerry Jones that he won't have a problem with Pro Bowl guard Larry Allen as long as the 10-year veteran is in shape at the veterans minicamp in June.

Allen is the only member of the team not participating in the club's voluntary off-season training program.

"This is a unique situation and that's the overriding factor," said Jones. "Bill has told me that if Larry shows up in shape, 'the slate is clean with him.'

"There's a respect between both men, and if Larry plays well this season then it will be a moot point."

A club source said a potential trade with Detroit that would have netted a third-round pick fell through on draft day because Allen declined to restructure his contract. Allen, said the source, preferred to play in Dallas if he couldn't play in Oakland.

The Raiders selected tackle Robert Gallery with the second pick in the NFL draft and added center Jake Grove in the second round, essentially ending Allen's quest to play there.

Interest waning: Jerry Jones said he doesn't think quarterback Kerry Collins will play for Dallas this season. Jones said the club has explored its options and – at this time – wants to keep its current set of quarterbacks.

"Quincy [Carter] is doing great," Jones said. "He's stronger than he was last year and he's throwing well. He knows he's going to have competition, and that's going to make him a better player."

Julius Jones' value definitely just went up. ;-D

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:28 pm

Why would anyone trade for Hambrick when you can get about equal value out of an undrafted free agent? Bah...

...And yes, Julius Jones' value has gone up considerably, IMO.

Where does everyone put Jones' in the RB rankings now that there isn't any "competition"?
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby awwchrist » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:36 pm

After McAllister/Alexander before James/Faulk.

8-ish.

Believe it.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:06 pm

awwchrist wrote:After McAllister/Alexander before James/Faulk.

8-ish.

Believe it.

Whoa there!

And I pity any team who trades for Hambrick. Perhaps the only fair offer would be giving Dallas a piece of ham...and a brick...?
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:50 pm

Hambrick is lost, I dont know where he could start...
I could bring up my profane nickname here but I would get spanked by menyak :-)

Its good for the cowboys( :-t )...and julius jones' value...He would still rank as the second jones though...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:52 pm

PM me the nickname. ;-D Maybe I can add it to my material for my fights with Cowboys fans.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:32 pm

I know exactly what he's talking about. I use it and I'm a Cowboy fan......

HAMBRICK=S**T-BRICK
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NittanyLions » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:40 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:I know exactly what he's talking about. I use it and I'm a Cowboy fan......

HAMBRICK=S**T-BRICK

Hey, youre good ;-D

Yep that was what I was thinking of }:-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:12 pm

8-ish.

Believe it.

Wow, you would put a 2nd round rookie ahead of two time-tested studs?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:16 pm

8-ish.

Believe it.

8-o I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!!!
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next