Cowboys looking to trade Hambrick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cowboys looking to trade Hambrick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Sat May 01, 2004 2:09 pm

awwchrist wrote:It's not smart to burn a first round pick on a running back that may very well be the next Shaun Alexander or Deuce McAllister? Someone that's in position for touchdowns hand over fist, or 350 touches a season?

If you draft well, you can afford to get nothing from your first pick. If you're a smart and active owner, you can overcome getting a bust out of the first and second round.

This is a game. And it's a game that deserves to be "played". How many of you can say you drafted LT or Portis in the first round? How many of you waited, hoping to get him at a less risky price of a lower round draft pick?

Well you my friends missed out on one season of 1900 yards and 17 touchdowns, and the other 1600 yards and 10 touchdowns.

The number of teams that depend on one RB alone, with no competition on the bench is but a mere handful.

I want the next one.

I understand where you are coming from, but in 99% of drafts Julius Jones will be available in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds whereas Faulk and Edge will not.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Sat May 01, 2004 2:11 pm

that's definitely a fair point, and one thing that's I've realized is that I'm talking from my position as an owner in a keeper league.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat May 01, 2004 2:12 pm

That does change things a bit.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat May 01, 2004 2:13 pm

That does change things a bit.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby awwchrist » Sat May 01, 2004 2:21 pm

I suppose. But I'm still expecting 1300 and 7-10 TDs. That puts him right around 10.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CC » Sat May 01, 2004 2:29 pm

If your looking at the future though why not take Larry Fitzgerald before Hines Ward because he could be the best WR in the league in two years? Dennis Green's system favors elite WRs.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby awwchrist » Sat May 01, 2004 2:42 pm

1. There's already an elite WR on the Cards. And it's not Fitzgerald.

But more importantly...

2. 1st round WRs are notorious for not panning out worth drafting ahead players like Ward, much less keeper leagues. Rogers, A.Johnson, B.Johnson, Stallworth, Lelie, Walker, Terrell, Robinson, Gardner, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Burress, Taylor, Morris, Soward, Warrick. There's every WR taken in the first round since 2000. How many would you draft ahead of Ward?

Drafting WRs and RBs are two different beasts. It's apples and oranges. But this is an arguement that I'm sure I don't need to involve myself with..you must know this already.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jeru » Sat May 01, 2004 3:45 pm

I traded DeShaun Foster for the 11th pick in my dynasty rookie draft (2nd round, pick 1) to get Julius Jones. Think that he'll make an adequate #5 RB behind AGreen, Alexander, Shipp and OSmith?
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Canacuna » Sat May 01, 2004 4:17 pm

jeru wrote:I traded DeShaun Foster for the 11th pick in my dynasty rookie draft (2nd round, pick 1) to get Julius Jones. Think that he'll make an adequate #5 RB behind AGreen, Alexander, Shipp and OSmith?

He's easily your new #4 RB, ahead of Onterrio Smith and could quite possibly be your #3 RB.

...So yeah - he's an "adequate" #5 RB.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigGAME101 » Sun May 02, 2004 12:10 am

i would never take jones ahead of faulk or edge, but i understand the potential that he has if he starts in dallas. In reality, i think jackson would have been a better fit, and i still question if jones can handle being an every down back...however, i suppose even if he is all but the 3-down back he should do well... i want to see what he does in preseason first though, i still question...

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk