Worst Coach in the NFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Worst Coach in the NFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby slowkidz » Sat May 01, 2004 2:37 pm

Greggie Greggie Greggie....tsk tsk tsk...(or is it WarMachine? ;-) )

I agree that Davis has made some poor judgements. But I also feel that there were a lot of other problems that led to the last few years of poor Brownie Ball Playin.

#1 - Policy. He came in on his high horse and fooled everyone into thinking that Cleveland's Franchise was first and formost on his mind. It clearly was not. Becoming the next NFL Commissioner was, and everyone knew it. He helped begin a Salary Cap problem in Cleveland, a problem he created and left behind in SF. Ask in 9er Fan.

#2 - Arians. His system was a joke. He was our play caller and not Butch. He failed to use the tools and strengths that our players possess. I was as happy as a kid watching him leave.

#3 - Palmer. What a maroon this guy was!! Worst HC in Cleveland history, IMO. He made bad picks (ahem*Couch*ahem) and yet did nothing to help out the team. I expect poor seasons the first two years of a rebuilding/expansion team, but that was just gut wrenching!!

#4 - Davis. Yes. I admit he's not that great of a coach. But I do think that now that he has the players that he wants playing for him and not someone else's sloppy seconds, the Browns Organization will begin to turn around. He has made some poor player decisions (qb merry-go-round), but knowing what he was working with, it looked to me like a no-win situation no matter what. This year will be different.

Our playoff run in 2002 was just the beginning. It showed promise in the youngsters. Letting the Vets and Egotistical players go was Butch's best decision. He stuck to his guns about the young kids. He found some good talent in UDFAs that some teams missed. Most of our WR corps came from UDFAs. This was by far the Best Draft Cleveland has had since the "Rebirth". This is by far the Best Offseason Cleveland has had since the "Rebirth".

Additions of Terrell Smith (the best FB in the Lg, IMO), Jeff Garcia (Pro-Bowl caliber QB, Veteran Leader), Kelvim Garmon (Strong, Run Blocking Guard), KW2, and Sean Jones will help bring Fire, Attitude and Leadership to this team. Having Verba, Faine and Brown injury free will also help add to the team.

Things are looking good by the lake this year. However, I also believe this is Butch's year to get things done. If not, I don't see how the fans will let him stay in Cleveland much longer. I'm willing to give him one more shot.

And I do not believe that he is "The Worst Coach in the NFL." Not as long as Martz is still holding a clipboard and wandering aimlessly on the sidelines.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sat May 01, 2004 2:40 pm

Not to take away anything from Smith who is a very good fullback, but Freddy Beasley is hands-down the best blocking FB in the league followed by Lorenzo Neal.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yianni2112 » Sat May 01, 2004 2:43 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I seriously cant believe Mike Martz isnt the consensus pick. The guys a complete moron.

AGREED!

G.Williams thank God he's gone.
Yianni2112
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat May 01, 2004 2:51 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Not to take away anything from Smith who is a very good fullback, but Freddy Beasley is hands-down the best blocking FB in the league followed by Lorenzo Neal.

Cheese I was just gonna say the same thing... 3 or 4 years ago it was for sure Neal but hes getting a lil older but hes still one of the best out there.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joester » Sat May 01, 2004 3:55 pm

Jim Haslett is an IDIOT............Saints are probably top 5 in teh NFL in overall talent and probably last in overal coaching ability.
GEAUX SAINTS!!!!
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mig28 » Sat May 01, 2004 6:46 pm

I HATE Mike Martz, almost as much as I hated Superior and Fassel, but I will concede that he seems to be making the team over as he wishes, and with some success...I'm willing to give him another year.
Haslett has had his "guys" for a while now, and manages to f**k it up every year...I really believe that a competent coach could make Deuce the #1 FF RB, and make Brooks a top three.
How long before Dennis Erickson heads this kind of list?
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat May 01, 2004 7:23 pm

Martz is a jackass. He gets my vote. :-t
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deftdelivery » Sat May 01, 2004 7:59 pm

Mike Martz....gotta have some intelligence to be a good coach...
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Sat May 01, 2004 9:20 pm

Martz is an idiot, and he's definitely towards the top of the list. Haslett has also squandered some great talent.

But as a Dolphin fan, every year for the last few years I've looked at the players on our team and thought "how can this team NOT win the superbowl?" They basically have more pro-bowl players than average players, yet not only do they not win the superbowl, but they've missed the playoffs the last two years. Ugh, how can you take THAT team and not make the playoffs?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat May 01, 2004 9:24 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Martz is an idiot, and he's definitely towards the top of the list. Haslett has also squandered some great talent.

But as a Dolphin fan, every year for the last few years I've looked at the players on our team and thought "how can this team NOT win the superbowl?" They basically have more pro-bowl players than average players, yet not only do they not win the superbowl, but they've missed the playoffs the last two years. Ugh, how can you take THAT team and not make the playoffs?

I feel ya bagel and agree with you 100%.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk