Worst Coach in the NFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Worst Coach in the NFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Str8 Pimpin-Vikings » Sat May 01, 2004 9:58 pm

yes MArtz is an idiont BUT hes a good coach i dont think he should b mentioned for..THE WORST COACH
Vikings ALL THE WAY!!!
Pepper..MoSs...Bennett

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JrcWy » Sat May 01, 2004 10:59 pm

Hey...I'm back. Sorry, I didn't mean to leave you hanging on the Cowher comment. And now that I look back at it, I admit he is not in the top 5 but I still have a stigma towards him as a coach. I am glad to see an organization actually stand behind a coach long enough for him to bring in his new players and allow them to make an impact. Far too often, coaches are run out of town a year or 2 after being hired. But I think Cowher has over stayed his welcome. Why is the man celebrated so much when he still hasn't won a Superbowl? People are throwing all sorts of insults around at Wandstat(who deserves them). But how is Cowher different? Dave has at least had nothing but winning seasons and narrowly missed the playoffs while the Steelers look far from it. Do you really see him around next year if Pittsburg suffers another losing season?
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TTTBone » Sat May 01, 2004 11:38 pm

JrcWY wrote: People are throwing all sorts of insults around at Wandstat(who deserves them). But how is Cowher different? Dave has at least had nothing but winning seasons and narrowly missed the playoffs while the Steelers look far from it.

Aren't you forgetting about Wannstedt's horrific years with the Bears? Two consecutive 4-12 seasons in '97, '98 before he was finally fired. Overall his record with the Bears was a dismal 43-57. He has a career record of 83-82, so yeah, I guess he is a winner. :-?

Cowher, on the other hand has had only three losing seasons in his 12 year tenure as the head coach of the Steelers, and a record of 133-83-1. Basically, this gives him 50 more wins than Wanstedt while compiling the same amount of losses. That's how Cowher is different.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigGAME101 » Sat May 01, 2004 11:56 pm

well, if greg williams was still in buffalo my vote would go to him, but there can be no refuting the fact that martz is the guy who has had the best cast of coaches and players around him over the past few years (in general), and has done almost everything he can to screw it up and bring down this team that had dynasty potential... why they havent gotten rid of him i do not know...

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CC » Sun May 02, 2004 9:13 am

Martz is a bad coach not because he fields bad teams (he doesn't) he's a bad coach because he took a Superbowl team and turned them into one of maybe the top 4 or 5 teams in their conference with no losses and some nice additions. (Turley, Aneas Williams)
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun May 02, 2004 11:02 am

Slowkidz wrote:And I do not believe that he is "The Worst Coach in the NFL." Not as long as Martz is still holding a clipboard and wandering aimlessly on the sidelines.

Just when I am convinced that fumes emanating from the Browns compound have finally have reached levels toxic enough to remove you of all your senses (i.e. the Browns rhetoric), you have a moment of clarity that re-assures me that the slowbus is still creeping along!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby maddog60 » Mon May 03, 2004 12:11 am

moochman wrote:Though there have been fine candidates mentioned here I can't help but to condemn into eternal hell Dave Wannstedt. He and his ilk are a cancer on the sport of football.

I dont, maybe for his experience with the bears. But I really don't hold the Fins lack of playoff births against him. 10-6 is a record that should make the playoffs.

That being said, I'd have to vote for Davis. QBBC doesnt work. You have to pick a man, and not even bothering to trade your most valuable WR is and just releasing him instead is ridiculous. I'd give the vote to spurrier for many of the same inconsistency reasons, but he's thankfully no longer in the NFL.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Mon May 03, 2004 11:56 am

My vote for Wannstedt as worst coach is a lifetime achievement award. He and his type run a style of football that has shown an ability to make a non-talented team competitive, as he did initially with DaBears. However given a team with talent, like the Phins, he has shown his close to the vest conservative play calling, that de-emphasizes big plays, leads to teams under-achieving season after season.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon May 03, 2004 12:33 pm

bungle613 wrote:My #1 of reent history is spurrier. The man should never have even been given a chance.

I'll go ahead and second that... As a 'Noles and 'Skins fan, I can safely say that I hate Steve Spurrier more than anyone else on the planet... He is a complete piece of garbage... :-t

But I would like to add that the worst coach in the history of the NFL is not Spurrier (he's a close second, though)... The worst ever NFL coach is hands down Rich Kotite. :-t

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon May 03, 2004 4:36 pm

If you are going to use coaches from the past, Marty Mornhenweg has got to be amongst the worst ever. His game day decision making bordered on idiocy, as taking the wind in OT will attest to.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk