Buckhalter signs a 1 yr deal, P.S-why do Phili do RBBC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Buckhalter signs a 1 yr deal, P.S-why do Phili do RBBC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Buckhalter signs a 1 yr deal, P.S-why do Phili do RBBC?

Postby aussieboy » Sat May 01, 2004 4:42 am

Buckhalter has just signed a 1 yr deal as a restricted FA. Unfortunately this probably means the Eagles will persist with RBBC this season. My question is, do people actually beleive Phili will go with RBBC and if so why would they continue with this tactic with Brian Westbrook showing last season he is more than capable of carrying the load?

Kinghidra has previously mentioned that coaches do RBBC because they beleive they don't have a RB that can do "everything", however last season Westbrook was 7th in the NFL in yards per carry and was ALSO ranked 7th in yards per reception. So clearly Westbrook is quite the accomplished player, why are the Eagles afraid of letting Brian carry the load and seeing what he can do on a larger scale?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat May 01, 2004 6:02 am

Truly I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is that they want to keep the guys fresh by only playing them x number of plays a game. New England has used a sort-of committee system for a few years now, and it's working pretty good for them! Of course, NE's is more of a short pass to the WR's offense than the McNabb run/throw to a running back out of the backfield offense. I guess Andy Reid just likes to use multiple RB's. Maybe it will be different this year with TO being there, but it's anyone's guess until the season draws closer.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat May 01, 2004 6:24 am

I think you're gonna see more of Westbrook this year as long as he stays healthy,Buckhalter being the 3rd down/spell back.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flux » Sat May 01, 2004 8:23 am

The biggest concern is that Westbrook cant handle the full load and will get injured.

I still see him taking the leftover carries that Duce has left, so he should get about 2/3 of them overall
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Sat May 01, 2004 10:32 am

I see westbrook taking most of the carries, and Buckhalter taking short yardage situations. Westbrook might not find as many receptions with TO there, but he still is a great receiving back, and Andrews is a great run blocker so that may help ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Sat May 01, 2004 10:43 am

Buckhalter is two years removed from an ACL injury. Watch out for him this year.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Sat May 01, 2004 11:19 am

I think this will be an RBBC with Westbrook getting most of the yards and Buckhalter getting the goal-line carries. I think Philly is running a RBBC because they are worried about Westbrook getting injured.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat May 01, 2004 1:07 pm

My own jaded perspective is that Reid, like so many other head coaches, is a control freak/attention monger. These egomaniacle coaches like RBBC for 2 reasons: They have an element of control. They determine which back is in on which plays. A one back system takes this control away. It also feeds their egos. If one RB system is used the chance of that RB having a great season increases. Credit could be given to that RB for the impact he had on the team's season. Any credit not given to the Coach is bad to these egomaniacs. With RBBC no one back is credited with too much success and the brilliant manuevering of the the genius head coach is highlighted.
RBBC in Philly is done for the same reason the Wannstedt will never allow a great QB to play for him.
Some plays are more suitable for Westbrook or Buckhalter and both have had injury isssues. But since that doesn't support my statement (or rant) lets just ignore that line of reasoning.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat May 01, 2004 1:19 pm

They use the rbbc becasue there is no way westbrook can handle 280+ carries by himself... look at warrick dunn he is prolly one of the toughest players in the league and he couldnt do it for more than a season in TBay and I think dunn is/was a lot more skilled than westbrook... as for the yds per carry they were so high for westy because he didnt do short yardsage which completely brings the avg down...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby awwchrist » Sat May 01, 2004 1:45 pm

Philly is in the dusk of their Superbowl window. They know that they need a running game if they're going to get to the NFC championship. They need Westbrook to get them there. Buckhalter is the insurance policy.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk