Chargers Acted Classless? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chargers Acted Classless?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chargers Acted Classless?

Postby Canacuna » Sat May 01, 2004 7:17 pm

Paul Attner wrote:It was cruel what the Chargers did to Eli Manning in the NFL draft. To subject him to the booing of the crowd at the NFL draft was mean-spirited and unnecessary. They easily could have executed the trade with the Giants prior to the start of the draft, giving New York the first choice and still preserving Philip Rivers as their future quarterback.

Instead, they held onto the No. 1 pick and used it as payback to the Manning family, which had told San Diego that Eli would not play in their city. They took Eli, who then had to stand on stage next to commissioner Paul Tagliabue and absorb the sad reaction of the fans.

No wonder Manning didn't want to be a Charger.

Each side declared happiness over the ultimate maneuvering atop the draft. The Giants drooled over Manning for weeks, respecting both his ability and his bloodline. The Chargers never were convinced he was worth the first choice, and keeping him would have been foolish. Instead, they now have extra picks, which should translate into badly needed additional talent for a woeful franchise.

Manning will become an elite player in the NFL, which will make the Giants' proactive decision to obtain him a very wise move. He has the physical talent to be a success. More important, his low-key personality will allow him to withstand the caldron that surrounds every pro quarterback in New York.

This draft won't be nearly as memorable for the Chargers. Rivers will sign a contract far exceeding the worth of his talents. But at least he should be an improvement on current starter Drew Brees.

Source: A tactless move by the Chargers

*cough*bull#&@~!*cough*
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Sat May 01, 2004 7:18 pm

lol, what a joke.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat May 01, 2004 7:21 pm

I'd be classless too...for a fairly good shot at 2 Top10 picks in next year's NFL Draft.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MCG321 » Sat May 01, 2004 7:22 pm

And if what the Chargers did can be classified as 'classless', what the hell do we consider the bitching from the Mannings'?
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Sat May 01, 2004 7:23 pm

That is a bunch of crap :-t

I dont blame the Chargers at all
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 01, 2004 7:27 pm

I don't think the Chargers did it to be mean spirited or to pay back the Mannings - I think they did it because they are a poorly run organization who don't have their act together and didn't get things done before the draft - and I'm not saying that because I support what the Mannings did
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Re: Chargers Acted Classless?

Postby deftdelivery » Sat May 01, 2004 7:52 pm

It was cruel what the Chargers did to Eli Manning in the NFL draft. To subject him to the booing of the crowd at the NFL draft was mean-spirited and unnecessary.

And being a stuck-up, whiny SOB is in no way mean-spirited and unncesessary.. }:-)

They easily could have executed the trade with the Giants prior to the start of the draft, giving New York the first choice and still preserving Philip Rivers as their future quarterback.

Ahhh yes, but look at what they got in return; the Giants are screwed come next year's draft.

Instead, they held onto the No. 1 pick and used it as payback to the Manning family, which had told San Diego that Eli would not play in their city. They took Eli, who then had to stand on stage next to commissioner Paul Tagliabue and absorb the sad reaction of the fans.

Sad? Nooo they were booing and chanting Eli sucks - GET IT RIGHT ATTNER :-°

No wonder Manning didn't want to be a Charger.

No wonder his Dad turned out to be a ridiculous bastard...

Each side declared happiness over the ultimate maneuvering atop the draft.

Ahhh, this completely validates your previous argument on why the Giants should have just drafted Rivers...completely. Thanks, Attner - great analysis }:-)

The Giants drooled over Manning for weeks, respecting both his ability and his bloodline. The Chargers never were convinced he was worth the first choice, and keeping him would have been foolish.

- secret agent with access to Chargers and Giants war room and front office, Paul Attner

Instead, they now have extra picks, which should translate into badly needed additional talent for a woeful franchise.

Sounds familiar

Manning will become an elite player in the NFL, which will make the Giants' proactive decision to obtain him a very wise move. He has the physical talent to be a success. More important, his low-key personality will allow him to withstand the caldron that surrounds every pro quarterback in New York.

But I digress.....

This draft won't be nearly as memorable for the Chargers. Rivers will sign a contract far exceeding the worth of his talents. But at least he should be an improvement on current starter Drew Brees.

"I'd like to kinda go out on a small limb here and ignore common analysis on how Philips and Manning are nearly equal in talent. I'm gonna go spend some time with my Mother and sew, clean the dishes, and type another in-depth report on why the Falcons should have never drafted Mike Vick. Excuse me."
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slowkidz » Sat May 01, 2004 8:35 pm

Canacuna wrote:*cough*bull#&@~!*cough*

i agree, y0 :-t
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby KingGhidra » Sat May 01, 2004 8:42 pm

Paul Attner wrote:They easily could have executed the trade with the Giants prior to the start of the draft, giving New York the first choice and still preserving Philip Rivers as their future quarterback.

San Diego did it that way on purpose. There was no guarantee Rivers would still be available at #4 if they traded their pick before the draft. The way they did it made perfect sense to me. Someone must've received a nice wad of cash from the Manning family to write that article.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Gunslinger » Sat May 01, 2004 8:48 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
Paul Attner wrote:They easily could have executed the trade with the Giants prior to the start of the draft, giving New York the first choice and still preserving Philip Rivers as their future quarterback.

San Diego did it that way on purpose. There was no guarantee Rivers would still be available at #4 if they traded their pick before the draft. The way they did it made perfect sense to me. Someone must've received a nice wad of cash from the Manning family to write that article.

Yeah, that's nothing but pro-Manning propaganda.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk