Collins or Warner Headed to Miami? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Collins or Warner Headed to Miami?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Collins or Warner Headed to Miami?

Postby CC » Mon May 03, 2004 4:31 pm

Again, from Profootballtalk.com
FINS NOT RULING OUT COLLINS, WARNER?

In the wake of a minicamp in which newcomer A.J. Feely failed to make good on owner Wayne Huizenga's prediction that he's the second coming of Dan Marino, there are rumblings in Dolphins land that the team might pursue Kerry Collins or Kurt Warner.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Feeley "struggled at times with his accuracy and didn't exhibit a firm grasp of the offense while rotating with the first team." Coach Dave Wannstedt attributed Feeley's performance to the fact that he's new to the system, and that the team also has a new quarterback's coach, Marc Trestman.

With that said, we're hearing that there are locker room rumblings regarding Feeley's performance, and some players believe that the team will (or at least should) consider bringing in Collins or Warner until Feeley is ready to take over.

Implicitly, such sentiments are also a swipe at incumbent Jay Fiedler. The Sun-Sentinel reports that he's the clear-cut No. 1 guy for now, but Collins or Warner wouldn't be signed for the purposes of becoming his backup. Instead, if either of them come to Miami, Fiedler likely will go.

We'd stick with Fiedler and Feeley, since Collins or Warner would experience the same problems as Feeley as they get acquainted with the Miami offense. But what the hell do we know?

I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Mon May 03, 2004 4:38 pm

I think Warner is a waste, but Collins has a huge arm which w/ Boston and Chambers would easily make the Dolphins a 'real' deep threat. This ultimately would open up the running game for Ricky, making their offense two dimensional.

Feely has potential to be a good QB, but why risk it when you can grab a guy who can easily step in? Give Feely a year or 2 to learn the system then let him loose, but Collins will help you the most now
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 03, 2004 5:20 pm

Kind of odd they would throw Feeley to the curb after just one practice.

...Nonetheless, I think that Feeley is better suited as a backup at this point in his career and I 'spose Collins would be an improvement - although I still think Fiedler is adequate enough.

Fiedler isn't flashy, but he always seems to find a way to win. I'm always nervous when I watch him play because it always seems like he's bound to screw something up, but he's good enough for me.

...But Kerry Collins is a proven winner, too and has a better arm to utilize the talents of Chambers and Boston.

Who really cares, though? Wannsteadt (sp?) will find a way to screw everything up again for the Dolphins.

Oh, and send Warner back to Europe or the AFL. He's done.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Lushcrush » Mon May 03, 2004 5:36 pm

I hope this is just media hype. Wasn't this just the first weekend of mini-camps? All sickness is not death ... I prefer to watch and wait as they have 14 days of mini-camp to go.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Mon May 03, 2004 5:43 pm

Lushcrush wrote:I hope this is just media hype. Wasn't this just the first weekend of mini-camps? All sickness is not death ... I prefer to watch and wait as they have 14 days of mini-camp to go.

True.
But I think Collins is better, and I also think Feeley isnt their answer. I think if Collins is signed, Boston and Co. would benefit. Warner isnt a starter anymore.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Mon May 03, 2004 6:11 pm

Canacuna wrote:Kind of odd they would throw Feeley to the curb after just one practice.

That's what I was thinking. He must've been AWFUL if that's the case and judging by his performance in 2002, I doubt that is the case.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 03, 2004 7:33 pm

Lushcrush wrote:I hope this is just media hype. Wasn't this just the first weekend of mini-camps? All sickness is not death ... I prefer to watch and wait as they have 14 days of mini-camp to go.

I have to hope this is the case as well. There's always time to adjust to a new system and learn new plays. Sure, this guy comes in with no real credit other than the four games he played for McNabb a few years ago. But that's no reason to just discredit who they picked their "guy" to be in the off-season by one practice. The media know Collins and Warner are available; they are just blowing the "not out of the question" remark way out of proportion to generate some spin.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Mon May 03, 2004 7:44 pm

Give up on a guy after giving up a second round pick for him? I don't think so. I do find it ironic that we spent a 2nd rounderer for this guy and now Warner, Collins, and potentially Couch are all out there for free. I've been skeptical since the beginning and I think you will see Feidler play most of the season.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Mon May 03, 2004 8:14 pm

JrcWY wrote:Give up on a guy after giving up a second round pick for him? I don't think so. I do find it ironic that we spent a 2nd rounderer for this guy and now Warner, Collins, and potentially Couch are all out there for free. I've been skeptical since the beginning and I think you will see Feidler play most of the season.

I dont know if its giving up on him, just delaying when he starts.

You cant base your decisions on what you gave up for the guy, no matter how hard that may be, its just poor business. You have to admit you made a mistake, or found someone better, and move on.

If Collins is better, you have to take him (assuming no cap problems) if you are looking to win this year. If you are building for the future its another story, but thats not the case with Miami, especially since nobody really knows how many more years Ricky can handle such a heavy load.

But Miami knows a lot more about Feely and his abilities than I do, so if they truly think he is better, or if they truly think Fieldler is better than Collins then they shouldnt take him, but otherwise i think it is foolish not to improve your team.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 03, 2004 10:25 pm

FFMastermind.com wrote:The Sun-Sentinel reports round One in the Dolphins quarterback derby belonged to QB Jay Fiedler. Fiedler entered the weekend minicamp with the starting offense and, despite two interceptions during Sunday's practice, showed that he deserves to stay for now. QB A.J. Feeley, who was acquired from Philadelphia in hopes he could knock Fiedler from that spot, struggled at times with his accuracy and didn't exhibit a firm grasp of the offense while rotating with the first team. However, the Palm Beach Post adds Feeley stood out Sunday, with deep completions to WR David Boston and WR Chris Chambers.

Source: Fielder Takes Round #1
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Football Talk