Early camp talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Early camp talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Early camp talk

Postby moochman » Mon May 03, 2004 7:01 pm

According to Tom Kolwalski of the Booth newspaper, speaking on WDFN in Detroit. It looks like the Lions plan to start Roy Williams at WR and Lehman at ML. Jones looks to be the back-up at RB, with Artoise Pinner starting. This is thought to be because of Jones's need to familiarize hemself with the playbook and Pinner's progress.
Charles Rogers had a very good camp looking very fast, stronger than last year and running much crisper routes. Though he has been held out of any contact drills, Kolwalski thinks this may just be precautionary and not based on medical advice.

I like the news about Rogers as it sounds like not only does it appear that he is recovered from his Clavicle injury, but that he sounds enthusiastic about playing with Williams instead of being threatened by it. I doubt that there are a faster pair of WRs in the league.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mannubhai » Tue May 04, 2004 4:57 am

Good for the Lions. Whats up with Detroit. Suddenly every major team from Detroit is doing pretty darn good.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Tue May 04, 2004 9:23 am

The Wings have been better :~(

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Tue May 04, 2004 2:59 pm

mannubhai wrote:Good for the Lions. Whats up with Detroit. Suddenly every major team from Detroit is doing pretty darn good.

Exactly what I was thinking, other than the Wings, they have been known as a horrible city a couple years ago.

Good for the Lions

Not a great sign for Jones

And good sign for Rogers, I should try picking him up
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deadskunks » Wed May 05, 2004 11:58 pm

Great news about the receiving corps... with Rogers, Williams, Streets, et al, this should put to rest any question about whether Joey is the QB of the future (though I believe he will be).
But about Jones... even after he starts to get in synch with the system and starts to look like a starter, is he really the man for the job? Haven't we already seen a speedster who doesn't take a hit well (Cason) take a shot with this team? Will the amazingly improved passing game spread things out better for him?

And speaking of the effect an improve receiving corps will have on the team, how will Williams/Rogers/Streets effect Ricks? I remain surprised that Millen didn't draft or deal for a TE.
"know the enemy, know yourself; your victory will never be endangered. Know the ground, know the weather; your victory will then be complete"
deadskunks
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Guinness Imbiber » Fri May 07, 2004 12:18 am

I think Jones has a shot at being a featured back, but I see RBBC in the Lions future for sure. The Barlow/Hearst fantasy nightmare comes to mind.

I thought i smelled a dead skunk :-b

The production with Ricks wont improve. You dont sign WR's in the first round, two years in a row and NOT throw to them.

Im just happy Detroit is gonna have an offensive show, one way or another.
[quote:72f2e2df26="Benjamin Franklin"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy[/quote]
Guinness Imbiber
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

RBBC in Motor City

Postby deadskunks » Fri May 07, 2004 9:17 am

Guinness, thanks for the reply...
I agree... everything I've seen so far has Jones in the mix as the #3 back for now and, looking back on Mooch's days in SF, he'll probably keep the RBs rotating & situational. I should probably save the following phrase somewhere so I can just keep cutting and pasting it all season, for the number of times I'll be typing it out... RBBC SUCKS (for FFL, at least).

As far as Ricks goes, I'm still not sure what this will mean for him... With the way Detroit will be able to stretch the field, that might open some doors for Ricks (and Streets) to get open short vs. a LB. While I don't think Ricks is anything CLOSE to the answer @ TE for the Lions, it might be a situation that works favorably for his stats this season. Then again, maybe they'll just convert him into a long-snapper. ;-7
"know the enemy, know yourself; your victory will never be endangered. Know the ground, know the weather; your victory will then be complete"
deadskunks
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby moochman » Fri May 07, 2004 9:32 am

I think the addition of Jones and Williams will open the field for the TEs. Fitzsimmons or Ricks will have more open space with the WRs going down field more. This is Ricks year to prove that he can play, he may be worth watching.
It's too early to tell with Jones. If he can be a dominate RB then the RRBC should go out the window. In SF Mariucci had Barlow and Hearst. They are a little more talented than Bryson and Pinner. Jones may be much better than Pinner and earn the majority of the carries.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 11, 2004 10:43 am

I actually like Ricks as a sleeper TE this yr.

As for the Williams, Rogers mini-camp news - thats just fantastic to hear. These guys should be really fun to watch.

I still think the Lions need to address their Dline issues - they need someone who can pressure the QB on a consistant basis. The other thing on my wishlist is a power RB - someone who may not have the speed, but can break a tackle or two. With all the downfield speed the Lions have at WR now, a RB who runs downhill between the tackles would be a perfect fit IMO.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Tue May 11, 2004 11:46 am

I think the Leos are hoping that Klimba Edwards is fully recovered from his hernia surgery that kept him out last season. They are looking for Wilkerson and Sean Rogers to anchor the middle of the line. Edwards is expected to provide an outside pass rush along with Porcher who will be used in passing situations. If they can get solid D-line play, from Wilkerson and Rogers in particular, this team could take a great leap toward respectability.
Pinner is a north and south RB, or downhill runner, but I still think that if Jones has feature back talent he will see the bulk of the carries.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Detroit Lions